Sea of methane sealed beneath Arctic permafrost could trigger climate feedback loop if it escapes

Sep 1, 2020
Visit site
Let's compare with other sources of methane. mt: metric tonne.

Permafrost: Assume a pessimistic 10 million cu. ft of methane under the permafrost. 1e7 cu.ft. * 0.04 lbf/cu.ft. = 4e5 lbf of methane.

Nordstream explosion: assume a pessimistic 500,000 metric tonnes of leaked methane. 5e5 mt * 2205 lbf/mt = 1.1e9 lbf of methane. This is 2750 times as much as the permafrost.

Energy sector leakage: 135e6 mt * 2205 lbf/mt = 3e11 lbf of methane. This is 750,000 times as much as permafrost.

Data from various sources on the web. Please let me know if you find a math error.

Reactions: George²
I did not check your sources nor your math.

I think the article is basing the idea of climate catastrophe on extrapolation of the findings to the whole Arctic region.

One thought is, if we are accidentally finding methane when drilling for oil, how about capturing it and selling it to Europe, where they need to replace what they used to get from Russia. When burned, the methane becomes less of a threat, even if the CO2 is not capture, which it could be.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023
Visit site
A sea of migrating methane discovered below the permafrost in Svalbard may eventually escape its icy prison if the permafrost continues to thaw due to climate change.

Sea of methane sealed beneath Arctic permafrost could trigger climate feedback loop if it escapes : Read more
Doesn't much matter.
3797 is the end.
Mankind only accelerated the inevitable.
So much that, the Earth will not 'absorb' and convert so much "waste" in a 'timely' fashion
- all are doomed
- the sky's will one day burn
fin 3797

Jan 28, 2023
Visit site
Let's compare with other sources of methane. mt: metric tonne.

Permafrost: Assume a pessimistic 10 million cu. ft of methane under the permafrost. 1e7 cu.ft. * 0.04 lbf/cu.ft. = 4e5 lbf of methane.

Nordstream explosion: assume a pessimistic 500,000 metric tonnes of leaked methane. 5e5 mt * 2205 lbf/mt = 1.1e9 lbf of methane. This is 2750 times as much as the permafrost.

Energy sector leakage: 135e6 mt * 2205 lbf/mt = 3e11 lbf of methane. This is 750,000 times as much as permafrost.

Data from various sources on the web. Please let me know if you find a math error.
The populace must be constantly threatened and kept in fear, even with such alarmists for incredibly insignificant amounts, counting on the fact that no one will be found to hit them with numbers, for how insignificant and of no global influence they are in any way. Why do these pseudo-ecologists threaten the mental comfort of the population? Who would think that it is for profit and that they earn their living with this.

Latest posts