See the crescent moon and Jupiter meet up in the night sky March 13

"While you're enjoying the duo, be sure to note how Earthshine illuminates the "dark" portion of the moon's disk."

It was an enjoyable view this evening, here is a note from my stargazing log.

Observed 1915-2015 EDT. Sunset 1912 EDT. First Quarter Moon 17-March-2024 0411 UT. Jupiter and the Moon just a bit more than 3-degrees apart this evening in Aries. Some cirrus bands moved by and caused brief interference. I used my 90-mm refractor telescope and TeleVue 32-mm plossl for 31x observations along with 10x50 binoculars (both Jupiter and Moon fit into the FOV). Numerous craters along the terminator line visible on the Moon like Rheita. At Jupiter, clouds bands visible along with the 4 Galilean moons, 1 on one side, 3 on the other. Fainter stars visible in the telescope FOV like Omicron Ari and HIP12773. Cirrus clouds caused a milky, ghostly view of the waxing crescent Moon at times and as the sky cleared, earthshine quite distinct on the Moon this evening. Lovely evening outside. Temperature 16C, winds calm. I could hear some geese flying by, honking along the way.

I went out front and gazed upon the Moon and Jupiter. Low in the western sky, nice and clear here in SW GA. It looks to me that they should be nearest in about 6 hours. I hope the Moon does not eat Jupiter, this would mean great displeasure amongst the gods.

Reactions: Atlan0001

Latest posts