Seeing Jupiter

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TahaSiddiqui

<p>&nbsp;Hi everyone, I have a question about viewing Jupiter through my telescope. I've seen Jupiter about 3 times with my telescope but for the most part, the cloud bands are washed out. I can see the 3-4 Galileo moons, however Jupiter just looks lke the moons but just alot bigger. Does this have to do with the apperture of&nbsp;my telescope or is it because its low to the horizon. My telescope is a 4.5" Celestron reflector. The first time I saw Jupiter the time was from 4-5 am and I could make out very faint cloud bands. The other times,&nbsp;it was around 1-3am.&nbsp;All the times I was watching Jupiter it was from inside my&nbsp;house so maybe thats a factor as well? Thanks!</p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Hi everyone, I have a question about viewing Jupiter through my telescope. I've seen Jupiter about 3 times with my telescope but for the most part, the cloud bands are washed out. I can see the 3-4 Galileo moons, however Jupiter just looks lke the moons but just alot bigger. Does this have to do with the apperture of&nbsp;my telescope or is it because its low to the horizon. My telescope is a 4.5" Celestron reflector. The first time I saw Jupiter the time was from 4-5 am and I could make out very faint cloud bands. The other times,&nbsp;it was around 1-3am.&nbsp;All the times I was watching Jupiter it was from inside my&nbsp;house so maybe thats a factor as well? Thanks! <br />Posted by TahaSiddiqui</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>You should <strong>never</strong> be viewing from inside the house with your telescope, what a waste. Take it outside, let it adapt to the outside temperature (an hour or so) and try again.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

T

TahaSiddiqui

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;You should never be viewing from inside the house with your telescope, what a waste. Take it outside, let it adapt to the outside temperature (an hour or so) and try again. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />Oh ok, so that should be the main factor? I'll&nbsp;do so next time, thanks!

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Oh ok, so that should be the main factor? I'll&nbsp;do so next time, thanks! <br />Posted by TahaSiddiqui</DIV><br /><br />Well it would certaily be a factor. Were you looking through window glass, or through an open window? Either is very bad and will highly degrade the image. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

T

TahaSiddiqui

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Well it would certaily be a factor. Were you looking through window glass, or through an open window? Either is very bad and will highly degrade the image. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />I was lookng through a window glass, which would be worse than an open window im guessin :p. Only reason I usually watch Jupiter from inside is because it comes out late and my dad is sleeping by then because he is a sleep technologist and works night shifts, and no one else in my family&nbsp;likes going out at 3am when its a bit chilly and they're&nbsp;already sleepin&nbsp;:/. I guess i'll wait for when Jupiter to get close to opposition. Thanks MW!!

C

crazyeddie

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I was lookng through a window glass, which would be worse than an open window im guessin :p.&nbsp;<br /> Posted by TahaSiddiqui</DIV></p><p>LOL! &nbsp;Yeah, that pretty much explains it....what were you thinking?</p><p>Always try to view planets in calm conditions when they are as high in the sky as possible. &nbsp;If they are low on the horizon or over someone's house, the turbulence and ripples from the atmospheric disturbances will reduce the image to a jiggly blob.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I was lookng through a window glass, which would be worse than an open window im guessin :p. Only reason I usually watch Jupiter from inside is because it comes out late and my dad is sleeping by then because he is a sleep technologist and works night shifts, and no one else in my family&nbsp;likes going out at 3am when its a bit chilly and they're&nbsp;already sleepin&nbsp;:/. I guess i'll wait for when Jupiter to get close to opposition. Thanks MW!! <br />Posted by TahaSiddiqui</DIV></p><p>Looking through window glass, and through an&nbsp;open window both are terrible, in different ways.</p><p>If you use a telescope, it needs to be outside!! For at least an hour before you observe.</p><p>If you don't live in an area where that is safe, then your safety is the priority. A telescope can always be used in the future.<br /><br />Jupiter is rising earlier each night, but early morning is the best time, since the heat of the day should have somewhat dissapated. At least for the next month or so.</p><p>But if you have any expectations to learn what you can see with your scope, inside a house isn't even close to what you can really see.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

J

jasonpply

<p>with my 3" reflector i can only use one of my lens with my barlow lens the other 2 just make it all fuzzzy. i get a ok view in the smaller lens enough that i see the 4 moons but would also like to see the bands maybe i should go get better lens? i dont know</p>

C

crazyeddie

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>with my 3" reflector i can only use one of my lens with my barlow lens the other 2 just make it all fuzzzy. i get a ok view in the smaller lens enough that i see the 4 moons but would also like to see the bands maybe i should go get better lens? i dont know <br /> Posted by jasonpply</DIV></p><p>Unfortunately, a 3" reflector could almost be considered a "toy" telescope. &nbsp;It's top magnification is probably around 100x, max. &nbsp;the other two lenses don't work with your barlow because they probably boost the magnification well beyond what your telescope is capable of.</p><p>If you give me more information about your exact make and model of your telescope, and the details about the sizes in millimeters of the eyepieces, i might be able to make some recommendations.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

H

hal9891

I can see Jupiter's bands with my 5cm 50x magnification monocular if the conditions are right, so I can't see why either one of you guys would have any problems with it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div style="text-align:center"><font style="color:#808080" color="#999999"><font size="1">"I predict that within 100 years computers will be twice as powerful, 10000 times larger, and so expensive that only the five richest kings of Europe will own them"</font></font><br /></div> </div>

T

TahaSiddiqui

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;You should never be viewing from inside the house with your telescope, what a waste. Take it outside, let it adapt to the outside temperature (an hour or so) and try again. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />Last night my dad and&nbsp;I went out at 12-1am in our frontyard to see Jupiter. It was amazing!!! The image was 100x better than what it was from inside :p. The cloud bands were very clear and&nbsp;4 moons were also very&nbsp;prominent. My favourite part was that on the middle lower right of Jupiter (in an&nbsp;erect image&nbsp;eyepiece) you could see one of the moons lookin like it was touchin Jupiter, like it was a part of it. 20-30 mins after that, you could see it seperated further away from Jupiter. </p><p>Thanks for the advice everybody!!</p>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Posted by TahaSiddiqui</DIV><br /><br />Glad you finally had some proper fun with your scope! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts