Seeing the ISS at night?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Oh ok, I get it.. So tonights will be at close to 90* rather than about 60-70* like last nigh?&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by Cassini12</DIV><br /><br />Actually, last night's ISS pass was only 32 degrees above the horizon for you; below the handle of the Big Dipper. The Bowl was at 60-70 degrees. I told you it was hard to estimate degrees until you practice :)</p><p>Like I say, once you know where the north star is, it will always be at 42 1/2 degrees elevation for you, just about halfway up in the sky. That will help you in the future get a feel for elevation.</p><p>Tonight&nbsp;the ISS&nbsp;will rise from the NW horizon (0 degrees), and for all intents&nbsp; and purposes pass directly overhead before it begins to fade out.</p><p>For me it will pass just below the north star which is 41 degrees above the horizon here.</p><p>MW</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

C

Cassini12

<p>Well I got too see it from my front yard, However, it is dam cloudy out and I am very frustrated lol. But still, I understand so much more and I look forward to showing some people the things I learned. </p><p>&nbsp;I am going to try to find a rocket body that is supposed to be in view in about 25min around saturn. Maybe too dim and or cloudy, who knows.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I hope tommorow night, Since I have 2-possible viewings one around 730pm est and also at 900ish est somehow I hope it isnt cloudy.</p><p>&nbsp;My question for today is, Will I get the chance to see it that bright and close again throughout the year? or was that a once in a long time chance? Thanks</p><p><br /><br />&nbsp;</p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Well I got too see it from my front yard, However, it is dam cloudy out and I am very frustrated lol. But still, I understand so much more and I look forward to showing some people the things I learned. &nbsp;I am going to try to find a rocket body that is supposed to be in view in about 25min around saturn. Maybe too dim and or cloudy, who knows.&nbsp;I hope tommorow night, Since I have 2-possible viewings one around 730pm est and also at 900ish est somehow I hope it isnt cloudy.&nbsp;My question for today is, Will I get the chance to see it that bright and close again throughout the year? or was that a once in a long time chance? Thanks&nbsp; <br />Posted by Cassini12</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>You'll have plenty more chances. Genrally the way it works is there's a week or two with evening apparitions, then a gap, then a week or two with morning apparitions, then a gap, then back to evening.</p><p>Near verhead passes happen a few times a year. Unfortunately, you can't fight mother nature, so just need to keep aware and take advantages of the opportunities the clouds allow :)<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

C

Cassini12

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;You'll have plenty more chances. Genrally the way it works is there's a week or two with evening apparitions, then a gap, then a week or two with morning apparitions, then a gap, then back to evening.Near verhead passes happen a few times a year. Unfortunately, you can't fight mother nature, so just need to keep aware and take advantages of the opportunities the clouds allow :) <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;Absolutely, Tonight I beleive is supposed to be clear for the viewing, So i need to study the chart for a few more mind to make sure I know were to look and when. </p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Absolutely, Tonight I beleive is supposed to be clear for the viewing, So i need to study the chart for a few more mind to make sure I know were to look and when. <br />Posted by Cassini12</DIV></p><p>Tougher for you tonight metinks. For me the ~ 9:14 pass is about 61 degrees in the SW as it goes into shadow, so maybe 30 degrees for you?</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

C

Cassini12

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Tougher for you tonight metinks. For me the ~ 9:14 pass is about 61 degrees in the SW as it goes into shadow, so maybe 30 degrees for you? <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;ya the 9:14pm pass says Stars and Ends at 9:14:33, so maybe this is impossible to view as it is not long enought to try.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Maybe the 7:39-7:42 can be seen tonight for me?, I sure hope so<br /></p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;ya the 9:14pm pass says Stars and Ends at 9:14:33, so maybe this is impossible to view as it is not long enought to try.&nbsp;Maybe the 7:39-7:42 can be seen tonight for me?, I sure hope so <br />Posted by Cassini12</DIV></p><p>It's possible, but it's still awfully bright out there at that time, you have to know your directions without being able to see more than a few stars.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

C

CalliArcale

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;You'll have plenty more chances. Genrally the way it works is there's a week or two with evening apparitions, then a gap, then a week or two with morning apparitions, then a gap, then back to evening.Near verhead passes happen a few times a year. Unfortunately, you can't fight mother nature, so just need to keep aware and take advantages of the opportunities the clouds allow :) <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>Of course, even on bad nights there can be surprises.&nbsp; My most memorable ISS viewing was last summer.&nbsp; It was hot and humid and the mosquitos were BRUTAL.&nbsp; There were summer storms rolling in.&nbsp; And then, as the ISS and Atlantis were due to come into view (Atlantis had just undocked, IIRC), a window opened up in the clouds.&nbsp; I went outside and stood in the bugs and waited.&nbsp; There were towering thunderheads all over, with lightning flashing and the fading sunlight reflecting off of their heights.&nbsp; Gorgeous.&nbsp; That alone was worth watching, though the mosquitos were eating us alive.&nbsp; (I was out with my hubby for the experience.)&nbsp; Then the ISS popped out from the clouds, followed by the fainter Atlantis.&nbsp; It was spectacular, even though the two spacecraft were just dots in the sky.&nbsp; Truly a dramatic viewing.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

C

Cassini12

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Of course, even on bad nights there can be surprises.&nbsp; My most memorable ISS viewing was last summer.&nbsp; It was hot and humid and the mosquitos were BRUTAL.&nbsp; There were summer storms rolling in.&nbsp; And then, as the ISS and Atlantis were due to come into view (Atlantis had just undocked, IIRC), a window opened up in the clouds.&nbsp; I went outside and stood in the bugs and waited.&nbsp; There were towering thunderheads all over, with lightning flashing and the fading sunlight reflecting off of their heights.&nbsp; Gorgeous.&nbsp; That alone was worth watching, though the mosquitos were eating us alive.&nbsp; (I was out with my hubby for the experience.)&nbsp; Then the ISS popped out from the clouds, followed by the fainter Atlantis.&nbsp; It was spectacular, even though the two spacecraft were just dots in the sky.&nbsp; Truly a dramatic viewing. <br />Posted by CalliArcale</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Thats one of the best strories i read so far. I tell ya, I am probably pretty easily impressed but seeing the ISS the past few nights, is just amazing. I even seen it at 7:30ishpm when it was still bright around here, I also seen it when there was nothing but thick clouds above and it was so bright that I seen it anyways through the clouds. I have now showed my fiancee, my mother, and my best friend and I know they all were extreamly impressed with seeing it, and I cannot wait for the next shuttle to be in view..</p><p>&nbsp;I have only been doing this a short short time (like 2-3months) but it is quickly becoming my favorite thing ever....</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>This place helps tremendously...I just refered my friend here also, I am trying to get him involved too<br /></p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p>Just get your Heavens-Above location locked in, then check it every few days.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts