Series "Merlin" Good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bdewoody

I watched a few episodes of this syfy series this week and hardly recognise the story line. It is totally different from the traditional Merlin, King Arthur tales I am familiar with. I wonder where they got their plot line.

D

docm

If it is the 1998 version of Merlin with Sam Neill as Merlin, Miranda Richardson as the Lady of the Lake and Helena Bonham Carter as Morgan Le Fey it's not too bad. There was also a 2006 follow-up called Merlin's Apprentice which wasn't quite as good but still acceptable.

S

StarRider1701

docm":3rvg14cl said:
If it is the 1998 version of Merlin with Sam Neill as Merlin, Miranda Richardson as the Lady of the Lake and Helena Bonham Carter as Morgan Le Fey it's not too bad. There was also a 2006 follow-up called Merlin's Apprentice which wasn't quite as good but still acceptable.

No, this seems to be something new, those names were not in the opening credits. In this series, Merlin is a young man, late teens or early twenties. A rather clumsy and inept young man... he seemed to be the weapon's carrier for a nobleman of his same age. I watched a few minutes of one ep last night but quickly turned it off.

A

a_lost_packet_

docm":1l1ptzvv said:

No, it's completely different. I watched some of the Sam Neil series (I like his characters) and it wasn't too bad. I watched about 10 minutes of this one and turned the channel... It didn't resemble anything like Arhurian legend. Dunno what it is about but, it's SyFy so it could be anything regardless of what they market it as.

I'm sure they'll find a way to add very poorly rendered giant pythons and mechanical hairy arms or something...

B

bdewoody

I too liked the Sam Neil Merlin but like they said this thing has Merlin as a young servant to Prince Arthur. Nothing like the tales I read.

J

JasonChapman

Its aimed at a young audience hence Merlin is a spotty teenager and Arthur is a strapping young man, I don't think there's been one decent portrayl of Merlin or King Arthur on the big and small screen. Clive Owen did that film back a few years ago now and tried his best to fill history's shoes but it just became another history according to Hollywood film.
I read the Sword in the Stone when I was a teenager, loved it.

I fear this is the way they are going with Dr Who, trying to reach out to a younger audience, ****** those who have been watching it for decades.

D

docm

JasonChapman":3urmq833 said:
I don't think there's been one decent portrayal of Merlin or King Arthur on the big and small screen.....
Then you haven't seen Excalibur (1981), partly based on Sir Thomas Malory's excellent compilation of Arthurian lore Le Morte d'Arthur

Director: John Boorman (2 Oscar nominations: Hope and Glory and Deliverance)

Merlin: Nicol Williamson (his performance is regarded as one of the best ever filmed, in spite of Oscar ignoring it)
Morgana le Fay: Dame Helen Mirren (1 Oscar (The Queen) & 3 nominations, and one of the best actresses of the last 50 years)
Arthur: Nigel Terry
Guinevere: Cherie Lunghi
Lancelot: Nicholas Clay

Nicol Williamson and Helen Mirren almost literally ate the scenery in this flick. They had an affair during a run of Macbeth which ended with them hating each other for life. Boorman cast them as Merlin and Morgana intentionally, guessing their enmity would come through in their roles. Boy, did it ever!! Every time they're on screen together you can see the daggers coming out of their eyes.

Very unfortunately headed for remake-land in 2012. Bryan Singer directing.

A

a_lost_packet_

docm":2fiko302 said:
JasonChapman":2fiko302 said:
I don't think there's been one decent portrayal of Merlin or King Arthur on the big and small screen.....
Then you haven't seen Excalibur (1981), partly based on Sir Thomas Malory's excellent compilation of Arthurian lore Le Morte d'Arthur

Very unfortunately headed for remake-land in 2012. Bryan Singer directing.

34gx0f5.jpg

Is nothing sacred anymore?

B

bdewoody

I actually thought the recent movie "Arthur" where he was portrayed as a Roman Centurion at the end of the Roman occupation of Britain was probably as accurate an account as any I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts