Shimmering stars

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sedna123

When you look at a star carefully you will see that it it shimmers. Why do the stars shimmer? They arn't blocked by any objects so they have no reason to shimmer. Could you please give me the reason of this strangeness. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><u>Who says the impossible isn't really impossible?</u></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>When you look at a star carefully you will see that it it shimmers. Why do the stars shimmer? They arn't blocked by any objects so they have no reason to shimmer. Could you please give me the reason of this strangeness. <br />Posted by Sedna123</DIV><br /><br />It is caused by the air in the atmosphere refracting the starlight. While not an object (except atoms), air acts as as a lens, or more correctly, many small lenses. In fact, sunlight is refracted enough that the sun is visible longer than it should be at sunset.</p><p>Have you ever seen a mirage on a road on a hot summer day? It is a similar effect.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

Saiph

another similar effect is how the light at the bottom of a pool shimmers around as the water moves.&nbsp; The atmosphere does the same thing to the stars...just much much less. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.