Shuttle retirement = Shuttle_guy and STS people out of work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CalliArcale

My guess is that they'll carry on working at KSC. CEV ought to have a ton of work for them. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

H

hopenpj

What happens to Paul Dye, Flight Operations Director - I believe for STS and ISS = only manned flights, not unmanned.<br /><br />Can't imagine the adrenaline rush of manned flights can be replaced by the sleepy ride of unmanned.<br /><br />Retirement?

J

jschaef5

Ummm the CEV is manned... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

H

hopenpj

Oopsie on CEV - /bonk on me -><br /><br />Dye works out of Johnson, not KSC -

M

mlorrey

I'm sure they'll keep collecting a check. Griffin already promised that there would be no jobs lost. They may cut back to a very French work schedule for a while, but they will leave no contractor behind....

N

no_way

erm .. in the past 38 months, STS has made one flight. i suspect this a lot like not flying at all. so i guess once STS is retired things will be a lot like they are now ... ?

F

frodo1008

Why are you being such a simpleton here? Think for a minute and you can easily see the answer to that. At this time there is still the very real possibility of future flights of the STS system!<br /><br />After 2010 and the retirement of all the shuttles, there will be no future flights. That IS the difference. <br /><br />How many will be needed to change the launch facilities over to the CEV, and then further needed when launches actually start would be anybodys guess at this time. <br /><br />What others don't seem to realize is there is such a thing as attrition, that is, people going to other jobs (not even necessarily in even the aerospace industry) itself. People retiring ( this is a much older work force), and finally (but hopefully a much smaller amount) people dying. I really don't think that the problem is anywhare near as large as people here think it is!<br /><br />Also, if the efforts of such as Burt Rutan prove out well, there could be launch facilities all over the country in places that don't even normally have launch facilities! True, less people would be needed at each of these facilities, but there would be more of the facilities themselves. These are highly technical experienced people, those that have to find jobs will do so!

R

radarredux

> <i><font color="yellow">Griffin already promised that there would be no jobs lost.</font>/i><br /><br />I think to be more precise, the head count will remain the same, but that doesn't <i>necessarily</i> mean it will be the same people.<br /><br />By and large, it will probably mean the same people however (minus the normal churn), because the same primary companies involved in STS are going to be the same companies involved in the CEV, CLV, and CaLV -- assuming eveything continues under the original ESAS plan.<br /><br />Different plan, same companies.</i>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS