Simple artificial Gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dj13

Instead of traveling nearly straight at a target, use some lightweight engine, like an ion engine, to slowly create either a slow arc, or a corkscrew path, inducing centrifigal forces which would act as gravity. Only those looking out windows would notice in a corkscrew path, but a corkscrew seems the way to deal with orbit situations. <br /><br /> I think the slow grand arc would be the better choice for a trip to mars say. <br /><br />Am I thinking too simplistically or what?

G

gavino

I can't really fallow u on this man. But If I was going to mars I would try to use an Ion drive, a Laser drive, and the power of the solor wind. With all these defernt types of drives all working togather we could get to the planet mars with great speed! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">gavinovz</span></p><p> </p> </div>

D

dragon04

It would be far simpler to rotate the craft on its axis (perpendicular to is trajectory) at a rate that creates a force of 1g.<br /><br />The view wouldnt be real impressive though. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"2012.. Year of the Dragon!! Get on the Dragon Wagon!".</em> </div>

R

rickstine

You can also use a structure that revolves around the ship the size of a football feild,it might not be the best idea but it does work.

V

vogon13

IIRC, and interpret his description correctly, he is describing a 'skew path'.<br /><br />Have seen it discussed somewhere, but probably 35 years ago, I'll never find it.<br /><br />Most likely would work with a higher thrust nuclear rocket that could stay on for duration of flight.<br /><br />Weird how this stuff pops up from time to time.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

S

severian

Well, yes and no.<br /><br />As far as I can tell, thinking about it, it would do exactly as you intend - keep you on a straight path, and also provide a centrifugal force to give you artificial gravity.<br /><br />Couple of drawbacks though - it has no real advantage over merely spinning the ship, and has the big disadvantage that for the entire course of the ship to change, that would have to be done using extra rockets and fuel to provide the circular motion. This is because you'd be changing the actual orientation of the ship, not merely spinning it.<br /><br />Possible, but not really reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.