Simplified Bussiness model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Skyskimmer

Alright here goes bored at school, with no way home so here goes. I wanna make up a business model for space colinization. It's simple to the point, and is not about being accurate or perfect, simply a way to put across understanding of what could be done to make living in space a reality,

First off getting launch costs to 1000 per kilogram seems like it's very easy to do, if spacex can do what it's doing now. It's assumed that there should be able to get a 3-400 percent reduction in cost done if A) cut through red tape of goverments/nasa/defense. B) Get the launch volume up from about 20 metric tons a year to about 5000 tons per year(that's about 5 billion in launch costs. (remeber india's space program alone is 2 bill a year).

Than assume that 50 percent goes into developing payloads/rnd/manufacturing costs.

Assume it cost about 1mil to launch someone to space.

The question becomes how much would it cost to build a space station for 1500 people in orbit. And how much would it cost to for upkeep.

My guess is that it'd cost 1.5 billion to get the people up there. Plus another 15 billion to build a station, keep it in orbit and feed people. Over a period of 10-15 years. Not much in terms of nasa type budgets.

S

SpaceForAReason

Skimmer,

Try this: Orbital Debris Cleanup.

Step 1: Get an international agreement signed to require a disposal fee for any satellite launched. Also, it will need pave the way for some kind of recovery fee for existing satellites.

Step 2: Develop method of cleaning up debris that actually works.

Step 3: Launch hardware to be used for cleanup activities. (Not necessarily a manned program.)

Step 4: Stay alive finacially.

S

Skyskimmer

MeteorWayne":2dvk8sgh said:
"Bussiness"

And you expect to be taken seriously?

It's a model just for a estimate of what we would actually be looking at in the not to distance future.

Post yours if you think you got a more realistic model. This wasn't meant to be overly serious.

S

Skyskimmer

Booban":bgw05u15 said:
He means you should check your spelling.
As I've said 6000 times I'm dyslexic. I still don't even know what word he's talking about.

M

MeteorWayne

Then don't expect to be taken seriously.

Spellcheck ain't that hard. Ever heard of a dictionary?

Since you have 130 posts, I doubt you've said it 6000 times. Another credibility ding. Exaggeration doesn't help your credibility either.

Your alleged dyslexia is just an excuse for sloppy posts.

A

adrenalynn

If I've told you once, I've told you a million times, M-W, ... naw, forget it. ;)

B

bdewoody

The word he is referring to is BUSINESS. One you should have learned to spell by the 6th grade.

S

Skyskimmer

MeteorWayne":28ise46s said:
Then don't expect to be taken seriously.

Spellcheck ain't that hard. Ever heard of a dictionary?

Since you have 130 posts, I doubt you've said it 6000 times. Another credibility ding. Exaggeration doesn't help your credibility either.

Your alleged dyslexia is just an excuse for sloppy posts.
What you think I'm gonna spend six hours reading ever word out of a dictionary, I use the spell check but I can only make so many attemps at getting a word right, a double ss to me is hardly a huge mistake I'd never notice it. Of course I don't spend hours on my posts because even when I attempt to post alright somebody seems to come along to troll something I can't help. Saying someone is a joke and shouldn't should be listened too because they have a reading disorder, is a bit childish in my opinion.

Please learn what it means to be dyslexic. It's really frustrating in the year 2010 to have people attacking me for something I can't help. The english alphabet isn't even phonetic.

S

SteveCNC

Skyskimmer":35s7rdci said:
Please learn what it means to be dyslexic. It's really frustrating in the year 2010 to have people attacking me for something I can't help. The english alphabet isn't even phonetic.

While I can empathize with your issues , and with that in mind I would strongly suggest you install and use FireFox since it employs a spell check on the fly , far better than IE .

S

StarRider1701

SDC has a spell checker?!? Besides MW, I mean!?!

People decide they don't want to think, so rather than actually reading and responding to an idea or concept in a post, they notice one small imperfection, such as a mis-spelled word, and happily close their minds and nitpick the crap outa you! Several posters here have that down to a science, not gonna name names.

S

Skyskimmer

StarRider1701":25wg5y2m said:
SDC has a spell checker?!? Besides MW, I mean!?!

People decide they don't want to think, so rather than actually reading and responding to an idea or concept in a post, they notice one small imperfection, such as a mis-spelled word, and happily close their minds and nitpick the crap outa you! Several posters here have that down to a science, not gonna name names.
Thanks yeah, I had that auto spell, but my comp was in german for the longest time(thought it would help my spelling). However it often causes me to end up spelling the wrong words. I'll say food instead of foot, etc, I don't notive either until a day later when someone, feels like being a you know.

13mc

how can you simplify a business that is not simple? I understand what you are saying, but i think to make things simpler maybe some information sharing is needed. An entrepreneurial space business incubator and think tank. I have one here for business and it works really well.
I have wanted to set one up for ever in the space business. THOUGHTS??

S

Skyskimmer

13mc":ivt8pfdy said:
how can you simplify a business that is not simple? I understand what you are saying, but i think to make things simpler maybe some information sharing is needed. An entrepreneurial space business incubator and think tank. I have one here for business and it works really well.
I have wanted to set one up for ever in the space business. THOUGHTS??
The point is just to simply explain how private space industry can work. It's not directly simple but it would be useful to be able to explain things, if you wanna grow awareness around the general public.

V

vulture4

To get back to more substantive issues, if SpaceX can cut the cost in half, it can double the volume of buusiness, roughly speaking. To increase payload tonnage by a factor of ten will require a similar order-of-magnitude reduction in cost. This isn't possible without full reusability.

S

Skyskimmer

vulture4":1qoz2bu9 said:
To get back to more substantive issues, if SpaceX can cut the cost in half, it can double the volume of buusiness, roughly speaking. To increase payload tonnage by a factor of ten will require a similar order-of-magnitude reduction in cost. This isn't possible without full reusability.
It's not just double the demand, it's complicated, but if it can get it's price in half, it can more than double it's customer base, as it gets people interested that never were originally, add to that if demand more than doubles there's room for further price reduction due to economies of scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts