SoHo missing images

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dream_Master

Did anyone else notice the gap of missing images from SoHo today?
There was a 9 hour gap of SoHo not updating images from 0942 to 2018.
Just wondering if this is a normal thing or is something else is going on with it or with the image processing procedure.

~Dream

M

MeteorWayne

Which camera view?

There are often delays in processing som images; they might show up later. Also, due to technical problems, sometimes there are permanent gaps. I'd check back a little later and see if they show up.

M

michaelmozina

Dream_Master":23fefn1a said:
Did anyone else notice the gap of missing images from SoHo today?
There was a 9 hour gap of SoHo not updating images from 0942 to 2018.
Just wondering if this is a normal thing or is something else is going on with it or with the image processing procedure.

~Dream

As Wayne noted, there are often various gaps in the SOHO data, some of which can be temporary, whereas other gaps are permanent. SOHO also goes through "bakeout" cycles to clean the optics. The STEREO program can fill in some of those time gaps. You can find the STEREO daily images here:

http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/browse

After about 4-5 days or so they update the STEREO images to include additional downloaded data, so if you go backwards in time a few days, you'll see 171A and 284A, and 304A images as well as the 195A and COR images.

D

Dream_Master

Ok.. that makes sense... The reference i was speaking to was L3 and the last image I saw was a Bakeout image... thanks for explaining !!! and for the link!

M

MeteorWayne

Dream_Master":ull3b9k0 said:
Ok.. that makes sense... The reference i was speaking to was L3 and the last image I saw was a Bakeout image... thanks for explaining !!! and for the link!

Typo: You meant C3 right? :)

And that gap still seems to be there, so they must be lost images.

As they say, stuff happens :)

Recall, also that SOHO is well past it's design lifetime....it will be a sad day when we lose that all knowing eye.

D

Dream_Master

LOL, yeah, I meant C3... ;) <shakes head, it's been a long day already!>

Agreed, it sure will be a blow to the science community as a whole when it finally bites...
Are there any plans or timeline for an upgraded system?
What else could we/should we add as onboard instruments?

~Dream

M

MeteorWayne

I haven't seen anything about a new mission beyond the "planning but no money" stage.
Of course STEREO does provide some coverage, but I always liked the view a million km upstream that SOHO provides.
It's the smae view we would see if that sun wasn't so darn bright, and could see more than the visible wavelengths :)

Status
Not open for further replies.