Solar body magnetic fields

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LKD

Are magnetic fields of Jupiter and Earth and the Sun due to barycenters outside the core in conjunction with extreme rotation and/or tidal forces that cause friction in the body's layers that create magnetic forces?

I am curious why there seems to be a discrepancy between magnetism in various planets and suns and solar systems. Specifically: http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/A ... 00113.html

Why has there been no other similar discovery of magnetic fields? Shouldn't their presence be quite common? I would think that all solar systems have a magnetic field.

Thank you for any help.

J

jgrtmp

Yes grasshopper,
You've touched on something very few even conjecture on in the field of Astronmoy. Truth is there are huge E fiels in free space generated by the local associated ready to be reaped by those who would use the field potentials. Some will say the fields do not surrender the amount of energy needed for any utilization, but just as the solar sail, you can harnes B & E fields. In space there is negligent dampening force, so applied over time it can become impressive. However you become tied to the field sources much like a trapeze artist or spiderman. I like this thread. I was pondering this for over a year starting in 1978. I was thinking Ezekiel's wheel on wheels & the electrical...Time to grow more for you I think...
Where I went with it is to imagine congealed mass in an orbit below the Choronisphere. These masses would spin orthagonally to the physical surface of the sun thus their poles would point directly out & the plasma ejections would occurr at these poles. Sources of solar flares... I thought at first they would be solid matter captured from space, but it doesn't account for the changes in #s year to year. The ejections have to be the result of subsurface anomalies with orthagonal spin. The faster the spin the more energy is ejected in the flare. Coriolis force come in to play in the southern hemisphere of the star with reverse spin setting up dipoles. Thus huge E & B fields are gunned out into space. Perhapse when we know the complete intrinsices of stars we may find they interlink with each other. Conjecture on my part & yours to prove...

F

Fallingstar1971

I would even hypothesize that the EM force, like gravity, gets weaker with distance, but never fully disappears. Perhaps it is only detectable at certain energy levels. If that's true, then everything made of atoms is linked as well. Electricity is electricity, no matter the source. And, since electricity is the movement of electrons, everything is electrical (Not necessarily CONDUCTIVE mind you, but electrical non the less through its atomic structure.)

I have often wondered if it would be possible to harness this force through induction? Or at the very least, use the Earth/Sun/Aurora phenomena and with an electromagnetic coil, manipulate the energy? Earth dumps it all at the magnetic poles, and those energy levels are HUGE! I wonder how we could prevent said coil from burning out? (how do you ground something in space and NOT have it connected to your power source?) There is so much "free" energy, out there that we have no idea how to interact with. Its only dangerous because of our ignorance. Imagine a spacecraft capable of doing THAT!

The Van Allen (I always think of Van Halen when I say that) belts show that radiation can be captured and stored through electromagnetism. So we know that nature can do it. It stands to reason that we, as members of nature, should at least have the POTENTIAL to do the same. Maybe not personally, but through our technology, willpower, and brains.

Star

A

acsinnz

Hi
Well, I think that all stars and planets in a solar system and linked together magnetically. We know that that space is full of electric and magnetic fields. See alternative magnoflux universe for some ideas.
Clive

M

MeteorWayne

There are threads discussing the subject in The Unexplained.

L

LKD

I'm probably more surprised that this is unexplained. I thought magnetism was one of the easier forces to understand.

Oh yes, thank you for the responses.

B

bdewoody

I've always wondered whether in some respects the earth is either an electric motor or an electrical generator. I big lump of iron spinning in an electrical field. If so it seems we should be able to draw on some of the power generated.

A

acsinnz

bdewoody":15q9z5eq said:
I've always wondered whether in some respects the earth is either an electric motor or an electrical generator. I big lump of iron spinning in an electrical field. If so it seems we should be able to draw on some of the power generated.

I would expect that planets motor around the sun.

Regards
CliveS

S

SpaceTas

bdewoody":22sgcnq6 said:

Nearly there: Yes the core of the Earth acts like a large dynamo. The electrically conducting liquid core is rotating, so with eddies currents are created with create an magnetic field. Similar mechanism for planets and stars with magnetic fields; a conducting core that is rotating fairly fast. Mars no or little field because core altough rotating as fast as Earth is solid, Jupiter has a fast rotating liquid metallic hydrogen core, Venus wich is nearly the same as earth in structure (so should have a liquid iron core) is rotating very slowly.

S

SpaceTas

Fallingstar don't be led astray by ijrtmp.

The magnetic fields Earths surface are about much stronger than between planets, and similar to or only a factor 100 less than the most intense field on the Sun. The energy density is low, but the total energy can be large because the magnetic fields are so large. Thus extracting energy out of them is not straightforward.

The other key thing is that to create a current say by induction you need a changing magnetic field. The reverse is also true; a changing charge (current) creates a magnetic field, So when changes the other does. So to get energy out of a magnetic field it must be changing (moving, changing shape, changing strength). Also the change in forces created by changing say the magnetic field oppose the creating of the electric current. The energy doesn't come out of nowhere.

For example in an electric generator the a loop of where is wire is spun in a magnetic field (say a big permanent magnetic) But the current created produces a small magnetic field that opposes the large field and so trying to slow the rotation. So to keep the current flowing the loop must be keep turning. This energy is supplied say by falling water in a hydro-electric dam, or steam turning the turbine in a coal/nuclear fired station. You can not create energy, just transform it from one form to another.

Mystical energy generators like "Ezikiels wheels" that create energy are just that; mystical and so put in the same basket as perpetual motion machines ie. consigned to the Unexplained.

There is a way of getting energy using the Earth's magnetic field. Hang a conducting loop below a space craft. Because the craft and loop are moving through the field a current is induced viola a generator. Problem is the current makes a field that opposes the motion of the spacecraft/loop so the energy comes out of the orbital motion of the space craft. So it falls. It is a great way to lower the orbit. NASA tried this out once but the tether go stuck.

J

jgrtmp

Sorry about that. I'm not going in the direction of perpetual motion, or creating energy. The energy is already out there. The point I was getting at is harnessing the energy in to motion. The wheel in wheel isn't mythological. Its now a part of the new hybrid technology right on down to your brakes generating electrical to buck up the battery. Bad inference here on my part as that is generating energy.

C

CalliArcale

LKD":26l55ve0 said:
Are magnetic fields of Jupiter and Earth and the Sun due to barycenters outside the core in conjunction with extreme rotation and/or tidal forces that cause friction in the body's layers that create magnetic forces?

I am curious why there seems to be a discrepancy between magnetism in various planets and suns and solar systems. Specifically: http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/A ... 00113.html

Why has there been no other similar discovery of magnetic fields? Shouldn't their presence be quite common? I would think that all solar systems have a magnetic field.

Thank you for any help.

All stars generate a magnetic field. Some are more powerful than others, but anytime you have a moving conductive material (e.g. plasma), a magnetic field will be generated. The most powerful magnetic fields are produced by a type of star aptly named a magnetar. They tend to be very complex, because stars are very dynamic. The magnetic fields move and constrain the plasma even as the plasma generates them, so it's this tremendously complex system. Beautiful, too.

Not all planets generate magnetic fields. The Earth does, and this is believed to be due to convection of molten iron in the Earth's core. (Simulations even predict the sorts of eddies and pole reversals which we know happen.) Mars does not, though there are local magnetic fields suggesting that it had a global magnetic field at some point in the past. The standard model at present suggests that Mars lost its magnetic field when its core solidified. It's quite possible that the Spirit rover, in its new fixed configuration, will be able to answer some questions about that as it will now be useful for very precise measurements of subtle shifts within the planet. (Only a fixed probe can do that; rovers have too many confounding variables because of their own movement.) Mercury would be in a similar boat to Mars; no molten core, no magnetic field.

Venus also lacks a global magnetic field, but appears to be volcanically active. (It's hard to tell because you can't see its surface directly. But radar imaging shows an awful lot of geologically recent lava flows.) So its core is probably molten, like Earths. Why, then, does it not generate a field? Either the core has too little metal, or it's simply because Venus rotates so slowly. Its slow rotation may make it incapable of generating enough field to be detected by an orbiting spacecraft.

The gas giants all have magnetic fields, though Jupiter's is by far the most powerful. Again, convection is believed to drive a dynamo inside of them, as conductive materials move in relation to one another, generating a magnetic field. It's harder to probe the interiors of these worlds, as they are so vast and so remote (and have such thick atmospheres). Jupiter's core is often thought to be made of liquid metallic hydrogen, an exotic form of the element which would be highly conductive. (It's extremely difficult to produce liquid metallic hydrogen on Earth, but some experiments have confirmed basic details of this model, including the pressures at which liquid metallic hydrogen forms, and the fact that it is very conductive.)

Some moons have magnetic fields. Ours does not; just localized "fossil" magnetic fields like those on Mars. But the Galilean satellites of Jupiter all have magnetic fields, and this is attributed to convection of conductive material -- metallic lava on Io, and saltwater on the other three (particularly Europa). Indeed, the Europan magnetic field is the single biggest piece of evidence in favor of a subsurface ocean on that world, though of course there is not yet consensus on that. Some scientists favor the idea of a slushy sort of saltwater magma rather than the kind of ocean we're familiar with, and there is considerable debate over how deep the icy crust of Europa might go.

O

origin

Great post!

I especially liked this:

Venus also lacks a global magnetic field, but appears to be volcanically active. (It's hard to tell because you can't see its surface directly. But radar imaging shows an awful lot of geologically recent lava flows.) So its core is probably molten, like Earths. Why, then, does it not generate a field? Either the core has too little metal, or it's simply because Venus rotates so slowly. Its slow rotation may make it incapable of generating enough field to be detected by an orbiting spacecraft.

I could not figure out why Venus did not have a magnetic field and I have never thought about this bit of information - the rotational speed makes a lot of sense (actually it seems kinda obvious - now that I think about it!).

Status
Not open for further replies.