Solar eclipse pits superstition against science

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sonjiin

Not sure if this is going to be the right spot. It has info regarding a solar eclipse this week so for now its a good a spot as any.

yahoo news has an article on the Indian culture and a solar eclipse and some of the superstitions regarding it. I found it to be an interesting read.

"But astronomers, scientists and secularists are trying to play down claims of evil portent in connection with Wednesday's natural spectacle, when the moon will come between the Earth and the sun, completely obscuring the sun.

In Hindu mythology, the two demons Rahu and Ketu are said to "swallow" the sun during eclipses, snuffing out its life-giving light and causing food to become inedible and water undrinkable.

Pregnant women are advised to stay indoors to prevent their babies developing birth defects, while prayers, fasting and ritual bathing, particularly in holy rivers, are encouraged.

Shivani Sachdev Gour, a gynaecologist at the Fortis Hospital in New Delhi, said a number of expectant mothers scheduled for caesarian deliveries on July 22 had asked to change the date.

"This is a belief deeply rooted in Indian society. Couples are willing to do anything to ensure that the baby is not born on that day," Gour said."

Full Article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090720/sc_afp/scienceastronomyeclipseasiatourismsuperstition

Edited for Correct Link

M

MeteorWayne

It's rather interesting...two of my 4 astronomy classes (inner city 8th graders) I am teaching are absolutely obsessed with eclipses (both lunar and solar). I have altered my lesson plan for the remaining weeks to accomodate them, and will go into the subject in detail.

BTW, the next total solar eclipse in the US is Aug 21, 2017. The path is from Oregon NW-SE across the US to South Carolina, with the longest duration (< 3 min) in Kentucky.

S

Sonjiin

Thank you for the post on that information of the next eclipse. I was unaware of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts