Soon there will be two new telescopes in space!

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UFmbutler

I'm especially excited about Herschel and JWST.&nbsp; We already have a couple proposal ideas thought up for both of them.&nbsp; When used in conjunction, you can say a lot about the process of star formation by studying the infrared absorption and millimetre emission of the dust.&nbsp; I'm sure they will give the community a few big surprises, since the process is still not very well understood. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

michaelmozina

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I'm especially excited about Herschel and JWST.&nbsp; We already have a couple proposal ideas thought up for both of them.&nbsp; When used in conjunction, you can say a lot about the process of star formation by studying the infrared absorption and millimetre emission of the dust.&nbsp; I'm sure they will give the community a few big surprises, since the process is still not very well understood. <br /> Posted by UFmbutler</DIV></p><p>I think it will be very interesting to see some deep field images from Herschel.&nbsp; I get the feeling that some of those "smudges" we observe in Hubble images at the limit of it's observational capacity will turn out to be fully formed galaxies. &nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> It seems to be a natural consequence of our points of view to assume that the whole of space is filled with electrons and flying electric ions of all kinds. - Kristian Birkeland </div>

L

lukman

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;how to protect the satellite from space debris?</p><p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7864087.stmIt will be interesting to see how the far-infrared, submillimeter and microwave images from Herschel and Planck will compare to the visual spectrum from Hubble.&nbsp; <br />Posted by michaelmozina</DIV><br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;&nbsp;how to protect the satellite from space debris? <br />Posted by lukman</DIV><br /><br />There are few threats where the JWST will be parked. It will be at the L2 point about 1.5 million km from earth, opposite the sun (out toward Mars) There is only 1 other current spacecraft out there (WMAP).</p><p>Of course, as with any spacecraft, meteoroids are always a very low level threat.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

michaelmozina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts