Space mysteries: Does the sun move in the solar system?

When astronomers use the word "tiny", like "inconceivable" "it may not mean what you think it means." ;)

As Wiki notes, the Sun can move, at most, just over 810,000 km, a little more than its radius and about 65x that of Earth.

"To calculate the actual motion of the Sun, only the motions of the four giant planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune) need to be considered. The contributions of all other planets, dwarf planets, etc. are negligible. If the four giant planets were on a straight line on the same side of the Sun, the combined center of mass would lie at about 1.17 solar radii, or just over 810,000 km, above the Sun's surface.[7]"

Last edited:
Reactions: Torbjorn Larsson
We know the sun is currently zooming through space, but does it move within our solar system?

Space mysteries: Does the sun move in the solar system? : Read more
IMO, I believe the answer is yes. In addition to outside influences gravitational and/or inertial pull from whatever outside source we may want to associate it's motion/travel to. I do not believe it's own expansion and contraction cycles are geometrical static even if miniscule in their result.

Notably "the astronomical GPS system" of pulsar arrays had to improve on the knowledge of the system barycenter in order to later make the discovery of the gravitational background.

Astronomers Have Located The Centre of The Solar System to Within 100 Metres

This is where the team's software enters the picture. It's called BayesEphem, and it's designed to model and correct for those uncertainties in Solar System orbits most relevant to gravitational wave searches using pulsars - Jupiter in particular.

When the team applied BayesEphem to the NANOGrav data, they were able to place a new upper limit on the gravitational wave background and detection statistics. And they were able to calculate a new, more precise location for the Solar System barycentre that, going forward, could enable much more accurate low-frequency gravitational wave detections.
30 June 2020, MICHELLE STARR, ScienceAlert

Notably "the astronomical GPS system" of pulsar arrays had to improve on the knowledge of the system barycenter in order to later make the discovery of the gravitational background.

30 June 2020, MICHELLE STARR, ScienceAlert
Wait a minute are you trying to force me to commit harry carry (aka harakiri)??? don't say you're not because it certainly sounds, to me, like you telling me the sun is not the center of our solar system. What's next the earth is the center of the universe??? LOL

Latest posts