Spacex Falcon 1 Flight 5 Launch

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Swampcat

LAUNCH OF RAZAKSAT POSTPONED

Hawthorne, California – April 20, 2009 – Due to a potential compatibility issue between the RazakSAT spacecraft and Falcon 1 launch vehicle, Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) and Astronautic Technology (M) Sdn Bhd (ATSB) have agreed to postpone the launch of ATSB's RazakSAT satellite.

While both the Falcon 1 vehicle and satellite passed all preliminary checkouts and are cleared for launch, a concern has been identified regarding the potential impact of predicted vehicle environments on the satellite. Based on these concerns, the SpaceX team is evaluating options to minimize this impact and ensure mission success.

“SpaceX is committed to the safety and success of our customer's payloads,” said Elon Musk, CEO and CTO of SpaceX. “Our engineers are addressing this issue and we look forward to launching RazakSAT once the issue is fully understood and resolved.”

“Both teams are confident the issue will be resolved,“ said Dr. Ahmad Sabirin, CEO of ATSB. “We are all looking forward to a
successful launch.“

Updates and information regarding a new launch date will be available on http://www.SpaceX.com.

M

MeteorWayne

Swampcat, the font color you chose is unreadable on my monitor...

B

Boris_Badenov

MeteorWayne":3hq708h3 said:
It's in Secret Agent code. You have to use your Decoder Glasses. :mrgreen:

Z

Zipi

MeteorWayne":3aj8fy43 said:

Mäybe he is using the dark theme of the forum system... But you can "paint it" with the mouse and then you are able to read it.

M

MeteorWayne

I know I can read it if needed; I didn't even relize it was there at first. I just wanted to let him know that a significant portion of the readers can't see it.

S

Swampcat

MeteorWayne":1giozuin said:

:eek: :shock: :?

:oops:

Ah, beware of multiple skins befouling ones creativity :lol:

'Tis fixed :geek:

D

dragon04

This is pretty disappointing. It's always something with those guys. Hopefully, they'll get the bugs worked out (one wonders how this came about at the last minute though) and get on a launch schedule with a long string of successes.

I really want to see a private company get in the mix with the Big Boys that are National Space Programs. I believe that's where the next logical step in Manned Space Flight is. If someone told me 25 years ago that a private Rocket Company would be boosting Inflatable Space Habs into orbit, I would have had seizures from the laughter.

Now it's almost a foregone conclusion. I shouldn't, but I get frustrated with SpaceX every time they miss a launch. But I guess that's what Trailblazers do. They climb the Big Hill.

S

shuttle_guy

Yes, this is very disappointing. We can only hope that the issue is not a real problem after all.

M

mr_mark

Razaksat Set For Mid-July Launch

KUALA LUMPUR, May 15 (Bernama) -- RazakSAT, which was supposed to be launched last month, is now expected to be blasted into space from Kwajalein Island mid-July.

Deputy Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation, Fadillah Yusof, said currently, Space Exploration Technology, which was in charge of the Falcon-1 rocket, was testing its vibration based on its required specification.

He said there was no problem with the satellite but the rocket launcher.

"The rocket, when they did the final test before the launch, was found to have extra vibration compared to the fixed specifications," he told reporters after launching the 20th Invention, Innovation and Technology Exhibiton 2009 here Friday.

Fadillah said extra vibration could damage the satellite during the launch.

"Before the tentative date, we want to make sure they meet the specifications," he said.

RazakSAT, Malaysia's first remote sensing satellite, will provide high resolution images of the country that will be used for land management, resource development and conservation, forestry, fish migration and security.

-- BERNAMA

W

wubblie

Sheesh. Their first falcon launch was on March, 24, 2006. I remember watching that first launch and was not thinking that it would take *at least* 3 years and 4 months for them to launch their first real satellite.
I'm not sure who is worse, them, or Orbital, who has successfully launched only one satellite from a ground-based rocket in the last like 30 months. Orbital delayed their Minotaur launch all week because of weather. Ok... isn't the Minotaur a modified ICBM- and aren't those kind of all weather?
Or does their rocket not have a fairing or something- I mean, come on? People criticise Nasa, but at least they can launch stuff more than a few times a decade, and launch things that weigh more than the Russian vodka supply on the ISS. At this rate, maybe the motto for COTS should be- "COTS - and you thought NASA was bad?"

M

mr_mark

Private space is a new industry. If Spacex can successfully get off falcon 1 flight 5 this year and launch the first falcon 9 that would be fine with me.

D

dragon04

wubblie":1or7rd8g said:
Sheesh. Their first falcon launch was on March, 24, 2006. I remember watching that first launch and was not thinking that it would take *at least* 3 years and 4 months for them to launch their first real satellite.
I'm not sure who is worse, them, or Orbital, who has successfully launched only one satellite from a ground-based rocket in the last like 30 months. Orbital delayed their Minotaur launch all week because of weather. Ok... isn't the Minotaur a modified ICBM- and aren't those kind of all weather?
Or does their rocket not have a fairing or something- I mean, come on? People criticise Nasa, but at least they can launch stuff more than a few times a decade, and launch things that weigh more than the Russian vodka supply on the ISS. At this rate, maybe the motto for COTS should be- "COTS - and you thought NASA was bad?"

It's easy to be impatient. I know that personally. When BILLION$ are on the line, and more importantly, your future credibility as a launch provider, I think you err on the side of caution.

Look at it this way. SpaxceX is still light years ahead of Apollo 18.......err.... Ares/Orion. While the delays are maddening for us folks with zero on the line, each one may well preserve the future of the Commercial space industry. When I saw you post and the mid-July launch date, it felt like someone kicked om in the guts. Sure, it's disappointing. VERY disappointing. I just keep reminding myself that as a private company, SpaceX has a lot riding on the rest of their launches.

M

MeteorWayne

Far better to be cautious and sure than to rush and create a fireworks display or splash.

W

wubblie

Well, I'll still be watching, whenever they launch it. I'm from the internet generation, so I can be pretty impatient, but I am still a fan. This probably isn't really a big deal for them anyway, since the launch manifest is basically all falcon 9's now, so it looks like they are moving past the Falcon 1 in any event. So success, failure, whatever, they are onto bigger things. I do wonder though, if Spacex can launch another payload before the RazakSAT? If you notice, their next launch from Kwajalein is the Falcon 1e demo flight, but it is scheduled for 2010. It would be interesting to see them launch the Falcon 9 and falcon 1 in quick succession in July, so I guess we'll have to wait for that.

T

trailrider

MeteorWayne":1jwqquaa said:
Far better to be cautious and sure than to rush and create a fireworks display or splash.

The late Walt Williams, a NACA/NASA pioneer manager said, "You don't get medals for on-time failures!"

NASA can (sometimes) "get away with" failures that would put a small commercial company out of business...permanently! A commercial company's failures or successes can mean its reputation is expanded, or goes int he toilet! As long as the customer is willing to accept the delay, SpaceX is far better off to take its time and launch when they are ready. If NASA had done the same thing with Challenger...well, you get the picture! :cry:

So, best of luck, SpaceX! Do it right!

T

tanstaafl76

When they were firing empty rockets to orbit it was easy to light the candle and see what happens. Now, with the impending demise of the shuttle program and the uncertainty surrounding Constellation, I think SpaceX has realized how much is now on the line. They have an opportunity to become the primary private transport provider for the ISS, but the only way to get there is by launching successful flights. Delays are irrelevant, as everyone at NASA and in the federal government are used to those. Delays won't lose them the gig, but fireballs will.

D

dragon04

tanstaafl76":15dte3ji said:
When they were firing empty rockets to orbit it was easy to light the candle and see what happens. Now, with the impending demise of the shuttle program and the uncertainty surrounding Constellation, I think SpaceX has realized how much is now on the line. They have an opportunity to become the primary private transport provider for the ISS, but the only way to get there is by launching successful flights. Delays are irrelevant, as everyone at NASA and in the federal government are used to those. Delays won't lose them the gig, but fireballs will.

That pretty much sums it up.

A

astc

So if its delayed, etc,

would they have to give discounts? or even lose the contract

Can an ISS contract with NASA be revoked?

M

mr_mark

I would not call a 2 or 3 month delay of a rocket launch a considerable amount of time unless you are an ADD type personality (no offense). These type of delays happen all the time in the aerospace community. Nasa is a prime offender themselves. As for the first flight of Falcon 9, that seems to be on schedule for fall. I'd say that if Spacex launches Falcon 1 flight 5 and the Falcon 9 test flight that would be excellent on their part for this year. They have been slight too agreessive with their Falcon 9 test schedule. I'd say both Dragon tests should be finished by summer of 2010.

B

Boris_Badenov

SpaceX and ATSB Announce New Launch Date for Razaksat Satellite
Hawthorne, CA (June 1, 2009) - Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) and Astronautic Technology (M) Sdn Bhd (ATSB) of Malaysia announce a new launch window has been set for Falcon 1 Flight 5, carrying the RazakSAT satellite to orbit. The launch window opens Monday, July 13th and extends through Tuesday, July 14th, with a daily window to open at 4:00 p.m. (PDT) / 7:00 p.m. (EDT).

T

tanstaafl76

Installing a vibration suppression system!?! Ares is getting too complex!!! Oh wait...

j/k :lol:

J

job1207

If I am correct, changing a rocket like that would cause a much larger delay if it was NASA. Hopefully the dampening system is all that is needed. It does raise a question for the larger rocket, since it is nine times as large as this one.

S

scottb50

job1207":17hb63du said:
If I am correct, changing a rocket like that would cause a much larger delay if it was NASA. Hopefully the dampening system is all that is needed. It does raise a question for the larger rocket, since it is nine times as large as this one.

Being nine times larger doesn't mean as much as they frequencies generated by the structure. A simple damper might mean very little to the Falcon 9 but a lot to the Falcon 1 because of the higher payload weight. Similar problems have come up on ARES, more to be expected since it is a modification to an existing motor, with the Falcons being clean sheet of paper designs, such things should be understood and dealt with in the design phase. Especially after previous launches the environment should be pretty well documented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts