SpaceX Falcon 9 Flight 1 Launch, June 4, 2010

Page 5 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

Re: Upcoming SpaceX Falcon 9 Flight 1 Launch

Can't confirm, because my ISP was up and down (more down than up) during the STS-129 post FRR news conf, but I heard that the Falcon 9 launch has been pushed back from November until possibly as late as Feb 2010.

D

docm

SpaceNews is reporting that they've requested Feb 2.

They did say in their updates that launch could be from 1-3 months (4-12 weeks) from the time F9 arrives, and if that's Nov. 28 ish then Feb 2 is about 9 weeks, the middle of that range.

B

Boris_Badenov

docm":2wrch1ir said:
SpaceNews is reporting that they've requested Feb 2.

They did say in their updates that launch could be from 1-3 months (4-12 weeks) from the time F9 arrives, and if that's Nov. 28 ish then Feb 2 is about 9 weeks, the middle of that range.
SDC has the news now too. link

J

jakethesnake

SpaceX has picked a date as reported by the U.S. Air Force’s 45th Space Wing.

Go SpaceX… you might be all that we have left??? :?:

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/09 ... hdate.html

WASHINGTON — Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) has requested a Feb. 2 launch date for the maiden flight of its new Falcon 9 rocket, according to a recent launch range forecast issued by the U.S. Air Force's 45th Space Wing.

090112-falcon9-pad-02.jpg

M

mr_mark

Man, i'm going crazy waiting for some assembly pic updates from Spacex for the first flight. Can't wait to see the assembled rocket with Dragon sitting on top. In the meantime how about some assembly pics from anyone or from Spacex employees (just don't get fired lol). Looking forward to seeing the second stage with nozzle attached. :D

B

Boris_Badenov

mr_mark":2sy5w0y2 said:
Man, i'm going crazy waiting for some assembly pic updates from Spacex for the first flight. Can't wait to see the assembled rocket with Dragon sitting on top. In the meantime how about some assembly pics from anyone or from Spacex employees (just don't get fired lol). Looking forward to seeing the second stage with nozzle attached. :D
I really doubt we'll see anything on the pad for quite a while, they'll just use that new assembly building they put up at SLC-40 & roll it out when they're ready to conduct some outdoor tests.

S

Swampcat

From SpaceflightNow.com:

SpaceX founder weighs in on Falcon 9 launch readiness

"The launcher's first stage, nine main engines, interstage, payload adapter and stripped down Dragon spacecraft have already arrived at the company's launch pad. The Falcon 9's second stage is finishing up testing in Texas before being shipped to Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral, according to Elon Musk, founder and CEO of Space Exploration Technologies Corp."

"'I definitely want to be clear about any dates that are specified by SpaceX because it's often mischaracterized in the media as SpaceX delays again or some nonsense like that," Musk told Spaceflight Now. "The only thing we can really predict with some degree of accuracy, at least, is when the rockets will get to the launch pad.'"

"A static hotfire test of the first stage, lasting between 3 and 5 seconds, is planned for late January or early February. If that milestone goes well, launch could follow soon thereafter."

Mr. Musk, in the article, gives Falcon 9 Flight 1 a "70 to 80 percent likelihood of success..."

M

mr_mark

Great news, I can't wait to see the dragon spacecraft and first stage pics! :D

J

job1207

Finally Musk is talking intelligently about rocketry. IOW, he acknowledges that these are test flights and what not.

Given their success, overall, I am MORE confident that they will get to orbit.

S

shuttle_guy

job1207":23a9z1ei said:
Finally Musk is talking intelligently about rocketry. IOW, he acknowledges that these are test flights and what not.

Given their success, overall, I am MORE confident that they will get to orbit.

Of course, they did get to orbit with the last Falcon 1 launch. That certainly improves their chances with the Falcon 9.

The last I heard all sections of the Falcon 9 are at KSC except the upper stage and payload section.

M

mr_mark

Actually, Spacex flew to orbit with Falcon 1, the last two launches not one. :D

S

shuttle_guy

mr_mark":ol1iy9nz said:
Actually, Spacex flew to orbit with Falcon 1, the last two launches not one. :D

I agree but the one before the last was very very close to a failure...I think it barely made one orbit.

M

mr_mark

Flight four was inserted in the correct orbital altitude on the mark. There was no malfunction. Two successful flight in a row 4 and 5 both achieved their correct positions. There was no barely making orbit. Everyone needs to check their facts before making speculations on successful launches. :evil:

M

mj1

docm":3cpyyueh said:
MONSTER F9 F1 update; pics, videos of the 2nd stage testing etc. etc.

http://spacex.com/updates.php
I'm as big a SpaceX fan as anyone here, but I must say that the way that they basically announced that the Feb 2 date was comppletely out the window without really saying it wants to make me call BS on this announcement today and on the initial choice of the Feb 2 date in the first place. There is a lot riding on SpaceX's success with the Falcon 9 and I do understand their trepidation. That being said, we all get that launching rockets is a tough business and excrement happens sometimes. Moral to the story here is, be straight with us, we are all rooting for SpaceX and actually can handle the truth.

M

mr_mark

The truth is that this is a new rocket based on proven technology ( Falcon 1 flight 4 and 5 successes). It's going to take Spacex awhile before they even understand the time line from production to launch. As they continue to build the Falcon 9 line, they will get a much better handle on time lines. We need to give Spacex a little slack here. I personally think that for Falcon 9 to be successful right from the start, Spacex needs to take their time in production and system checks.

J

job1207

""This was the final stage firing required for launch, so the second stage will soon be packaged for shipment and should arrive at Cape Canaveral by the end of the month," said SpaceX founder Elon Musk in a Jan. 4 update. "Depending on how well our full vehicle integration goes, launch should occur one to three months later."

from the front page of sdc today

Frankly, they noted Feb as an earliest target allalong. So, If I were to bet, I would say March, possibly April.

M

mj1

mr_mark":40c7trw1 said:
The truth is that this is a new rocket based on proven technology ( Falcon 1 flight 4 and 5 successes). It's going to take Spacex awhile before they even understand the time line from production to launch. As they continue to build the Falcon 9 line, they will get a much better handle on time lines. We need to give Spacex a little slack here. I personally think that for Falcon 9 to be successful right from the start, Spacex needs to take their time in production and system checks.
Mr. Mark, I agree with you 100%. My issue here is that what you are sayung would sound a lot better coming from SapceX's mouth instead of yours. This way it sounds like people are making excuses for SpaceX when taking a totally sensible position, one they should have themselves. That is because of the temptation to over-promise and under-deliver. That is the NASA way of doing things and SpaceX needs to get away from that kind of thinking.

D

docm

Mebbe we should cut 'em a break about over-promising. They're relative beginners at it while NASA mastered the art long before they were around ;)

J

job1207

Swampcat":1uh2r1et said:
From SpaceflightNow.com:

"The launcher's first stage, nine main engines, interstage, payload adapter and stripped down Dragon spacecraft have already arrived at the company's launch pad. The Falcon 9's second stage is finishing up testing in Texas before being shipped to Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral, according to Elon Musk, founder and CEO of Space Exploration Technologies Corp."

"'I definitely want to be clear about any dates that are specified by SpaceX because it's often mischaracterized in the media as SpaceX delays again or some nonsense like that," Musk told Spaceflight Now. "The only thing we can really predict with some degree of accuracy, at least, is when the rockets will get to the launch pad.'"

"A static hotfire test of the first stage, lasting between 3 and 5 seconds, is planned for late January or early February. If that milestone goes well, launch could follow soon thereafter."

Mr. Musk, in the article, gives Falcon 9 Flight 1 a "70 to 80 percent likelihood of success..."

Back in Nov, they noted this. There was never a fixed date for this launch. From what I can see they are right on the early part of this schedule.

M

mj1

job1207":1ha4lt5x said:
Swampcat":1ha4lt5x said:
From SpaceflightNow.com:

Back in Nov, they noted this. There was never a fixed date for this launch. From what I can see they are right on the early part of this schedule.

Cat,
If that is the case, how do you explain this:
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/09 ... hdate.html

Again, I do not have a problem with SpaceX having delays or anything like that. A real disaster would be if the Falcon 9 launch pooches out when they do finally launch. Better them take their time and get it right. I do however have an issue when they are not straight with us and then people, who like me want SpaceX so much to succeed, make excuses for them when they drop the ball with the media. Clearly, they should have clarified the Feb 02 date as not realistic soon as it was reported in the press.

J

job1207

OK, I take March 31st in the launch date pool.

D

docm

March 15th.

She sure is lookin' pretty with her fairings on and all. Enough to send shivers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.