SpaceX Falcon 9 Flight 1 Launch, June 4, 2010

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.

435T

Re: Upcoming SpaceX Falcon 9 Flight 1 Launch

mr_mark":1vkq71v8 said:
Now for some good news........

Air Force: SpaceX's Falcon 9 first launch planned for Nov 29
posted by Robert Block on Sep 22, 2009 10:52:09 PM
Discuss This: Comments (3) | TrackBack (0) | Linking Blogs | Add to del.icio.us | Digg it

That is great news. I hope that the launch does happen. I also hope that congress won't get in the way of anything they are doing.

S

shuttle_guy

Wonderful news. I hope they ca hold that date.

Z

Zipi

Cool! :D

I really hope they will put Dragon to top on Falcon 9 staight from the beginning.

M

MeteorWayne

ONLY if they are really ready to do so!

Z

Zipi

MeteorWayne":fxgl6p0p said:
ONLY if they are really ready to do so!

Yes of course. I really hope they are ready for that. ;)

I guess it won't be too bad "disappointment" for me if they fly a successfull flight with payload fairing only.

B

Boris_Badenov

shuttle_guy":2pr95i9v said:
Wonderful news. I hope they ca hold that date.
If they make they're first Falcon 9 launch by next summer I'll be happy.

D

docm

New SpaceX update, and it confirms that a Dragon will be the payload.

http://www.spacex.com/updates.php

This initial test flight will carry our Dragon spacecraft qualification unit (see photos below), providing us with valuable aerodynamic and performance data for the Falcon 9 configuration that will fly on the following COTS and CRS missions for NASA. The second Falcon 9 flight will be the first flight of Dragon under the NASA COTS (Commercial Orbital Transportation Services) program, where we will demonstrate Dragon's orbital maneuvering, communication and reentry capabilities.

M

MeteorWayne

Wow, what a great update. Thanx docm!!

B

Boris_Badenov

SPACEFLIGHT NOW
Posted: September 24, 2009
SpaceX doubles down on inaugural Falcon 9 mission
SpaceX has announced the payload for the first Falcon 9 launch later this year will be a stripped-down version of the company's own Dragon capsule, a vehicle being developed to deliver supplies to the International Space Station.

[snip]

"This is the actual article used to qualify Dragon for flight loads, so it is identical to the flight article as far as the core structure and mold line, but will not carry engines or avionics, therefore it is lighter," said Elon Musk,

[snip]

The range document lists a launch window on Nov. 29 between 1600 GMT and 2000 GMT (11 a.m. and 3 p.m. EST).

Musk said not to read too much into that date.

"It is possible, but unlikely that we would be able to launch on Nov 29," Musk said in an email response to questions.

"This should be thought of as a 'no earlier than" date,'" Musk said. "Everything would have to go right to make that date and that is rare in the rocket business. That did happen for the last two flights of Falcon 1 and we've learned a lot since then, but Falcon 9 is a new rocket."

M

mr_mark

more good news..... FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Emily Shanklin | Director, Marketing and Communications

media@SpaceX.com

SpaceX Announces Completion of Acceptance Testing for Falcon 9 First and Second Stages

Both Stages Headed To Cape Canaveral Next Month in Preparation for Launch

McGregor, Texas (October 5, 2009) – Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) announces the successful completion of acceptance testing of both the Falcon 9 first and second stages in preparation for the first flight of Falcon 9. Acceptance testing took place at SpaceX’s Texas Test Site, a 300-acre structural and propulsion testing facility, located just outside of Waco, Texas.

This recent series of tests subjected both stages to a variety of structural load and proof pressure tests to verify acceptability for flight. Acceptance testing began in late summer with the first stage and concluded last week at SpaceX’s Texas facility with completion of acceptance testing for the second stage.

“The successful completion of these tests marks another key milestone in our preparation for Falcon 9’s first flight,” said Elon Musk, CEO and CTO of SpaceX. “Our team will now move forward with a static fire of the first and second stages, the last major milestone before hardware is transferred to SpaceX’s launch pad at Cape Canaveral.”

The inaugural flight of Falcon 9 is a demonstration flight, and is expected to occur one to three months after Falcon 9 arrival at Cape Canaveral next month. The final launch date will depend on range scheduling, weather conditions and time required to make adjustments for any vehicle-to-ground equipment interactions. For its first flight, Falcon 9 will launch a Dragon spacecraft qualification unit into orbit to provide SpaceX with valuable aerodynamic and performance information.

The second flight of the Falcon 9/Dragon system is the first flight under NASA’s Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (COTS) program, a new commercial-government partnership under which SpaceX will demonstrate the ability to dock with the International Space Station, transfer cargo, and return cargo safely to Earth.

D

docm

A Falcon 9 second stage mounted on a Falcon 9 interstage vents vapor from its liquid oxygen tank
during acceptance testing at SpaceX's Texas Test Site outside of Waco.

20091005_2ndstage.jpg

H

h2ouniverse

so long for the Nov29 slot.

Oct 5th plus some weeks for the remaining tests + at least one month for the launch campaign => January imho
I hope I'm wrong.

C

centsworth_II

h2ouniverse":i0k0bmd8 said:
...January imho
I hope I'm wrong.
Come January, you may be hoping you're right!

F

frodo1008

I would much rather see spacex take its time to get this launch right, than see them experience the same problems they first experienced with the Falcon I!!

After all, this is a far larger rocket, and therefore a far more expensive proposition if it fails, that the Falcon I was!

If it is successful, I really do not care if they go into the first quarter of next year or not.

Note that it is interesting however, that they are now (with a far larger rocket) beginning to experience the same kinds of problems that NASA has in times experienced with the delays of the space shuttle launches. And we must also realize that NASA has human lives on the line as well!!

M

mr_mark

Any news yet on the 10 second first stage engine burn? Somebody must have heard something. Any news on when the 30 second burn will take place?

J

job1207

Would someone remove the post above please?

B

Boris_Badenov

I've said it before & I'll say it again, if they launch before next summer I'll be pleasantly surprised.

D

docm

Looks like the 10 second test took place Monday and they're ramping up to the 30 second test sometime today (Thursday Oct 15). Adding the Waco Tribune to my bookmarks.

Link....

Waco news briefs for Thu., Oct. 15

Thursday, October 15, 2009

SpaceX, which tests rockets in McGregor, will conduct a second test of its Falcon 9 nine-engine rocket cluster sometime today.

SpaceX said in a statement that the 30-second test should produce about the same level of noise as a successful 10-second test Monday.

For more information, visit http://www.spacex.com.

D

docm

Is it just me or are they ahead of their schedule?

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/64645912.html

SpaceX Carries Out Final Rocket Engine Test

Some Central Texas residents heard the rumble Friday as SpaceX tested a nine-engine rocket cluster at its facility in McGregor west of Waco.

MCGREGOR (October 16, 2009)—SpaceX conducted a 30-second test of its Falcon 9 nine-engine rocket cluster Friday at its facility in McGregor west of Waco,

It was the second of two test-firings and it marks the completion of the final technical verification of the Falcon 9’s first stage before the rocket’s inaugural flight, SpaceX said Friday evening.
Discount Floors Superstore

The first stage now will be shipped to Cape Canaveral in preparation for the first launch of the Falcon 9, which, along with the company’s Dragon spacecraft, will supply the International Space Station after NASA ends the shuttle program.

S

scottb50

docm said:
Is it just me or are they ahead of their schedule?

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/64645912.html

MCGREGOR (October 16, 2009)—SpaceX conducted a 30-second test of its Falcon 9 nine-engine rocket cluster Friday at its facility in McGregor west of Waco,

It was the second of two test-firings and it marks the completion of the final technical verification of the Falcon 9’s first stage before the rocket’s inaugural .........

Hopefully the Space X engine will be re-usable for at least as long as the Shuttle engine has achieved. That's why getting the engines back requires a TSTO vehicle. That you also need solids, or a lot of liquid rockets, to even get to orbit, it stands to reason you should bring the housings, or First Stage, back for refilling and re-use. Ejecting any liquid or solid fuel container would be a possibility either for safety or increased payload. Shedding tanks or solid Segments makes sense so you would basically save the nozzle assembly and dump the spent propellant Segments. Might be used for extremely heavy payloads or emergency situations, the primary idea is to get as much to orbit as soon as possible. To have tanks, nozzles and engines return for re-use would be a primary goal, but exceptions would be easily entertained.

I would think a First stage with the equivalent of two or four Delta common cores and two AREs equivalent booster housing would, along with a simple aerodynamic shell and crew Module work great. The idea is it gets well above Spaceship 1 or 2 altitudes and releases the Upper Stage, basically a re-thought Centaur with modification to reduce weight and increase payload but with the same basic engines. In orbit the Upper Stage would be refueled and used as a tug taking payloads and people from a central location to virtually anywhere else. Upper Stage tanks would also be used to build Stations and extended range vehicles, powered by the re-fueled upper stage engines with upper stage tanks. Refurbish the tanks and they become building blocks, refill them and they stay tanks.

A Medium and Heavy launch choice can be made, the aerodynamic structure stays the same just the number of holes filled determines the vehicle. Two or four liquid cores and two solid boosters being standard, but added First Stage add on boosters would be available, to further payload capability. Cheaper launches for smaller payloads.

J

job1207

I just realized that the first flight of Ares is sub orbital, while the Dragon nine is scheduled to go orbital. I realize that the orbital stage is already tested, but I also realize that they usually test one stage at a time.

I hope this works.

M

mr_mark

There is a huge difference in vehicles. Ares I-X is only a test vehicle. The Falcon 9 launcher is a fully finished fully ready flight vehicle. There will be no further changes to the flight vehicle hardware. It is finished. The only thing that makes this a test flight is the fact that it's the first one (and also the Dragon qualifacation unit which is along for the ride). Changes could come in flight computations but, as far as the vehicle goes it's finished, nothing more needed. That is a huge difference! Private enterprise has managed to build a fully flight ready vehicle while NASA is still undergoing testing of a vehicle that may take years to finish and test. It's a huge victory for private enterprise and shows the reason why space travel needs private enterprise to move robustly into the future.

T

trailrider

Let's hope Falcon 9 turns out to be the DC-2 of the Space Age! Then, with a bit of tweeking, the DC-3 of the Space Age!

Ad LEO! Ad Luna! Ad Ares! Ad Astra!

M

MeteorWayne

Folks, just a reminder. this is the Missions and Launches forum, so this thread is solely to discuss the upcoming Falcon 9 launch. The merits of Falcon vs Ares 1X belongs in Space Business and Technology; there are a number of active threads there, or feel free to start a new one if you wish to discuss that specific issue.

thanx for your cooperation

Moderator Meteor Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts