Spacex Falcon 9 Flight 2 COTS -1 Launch (NET Dec 7)

Page 5 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mr_mark

Re: Spacex Falcon 9 Flight 2 COTS -1 Launch (NET Oct 23)

A great question and something many of us never thought of. Being hurricane season, I'm hoping that nothing is affected either in the assembly building or at the launch pad. :eek:

D

danhezee

Oct 23 is toward the end of hurricane season. I don't think you have much to worry about.

M

MeteorWayne

danhezee":1vshjcyx said:
Oct 23 is toward the end of hurricane season. I don't think you have much to worry about.

Famous last words...

BTW, that's 5 weeks from the end of the hurricane season :)

B

Boris_Badenov

SpaceX Targets November for Dragon Demo Flight
WASHINGTON — Hawthorne, Calif.-based Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) has shifted a planned Oct. 23 launch of its Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon cargo vessel to November.

“Our targeted launch date is moving — we’ve submitted a request for November 8th or 9th and are waiting for the range to complete their standard deconfliction work and provide a formal approval,” SpaceX spokeswoman Kirstin Brost said in a Sept. 21 e-mail.

A

AdmiralRitt

Re: Spacex Falcon 9 Flight 2 COTS -1 Launch (NET Nov 8)

I can see SpaceX's resoning in being methodical.
There is no one as advanced in creating fully private launchers,
and are about to test a private capsule first of it's kind. There's no
one nipping at their heels currently.

Yes, there's a Boeing capsule. But do you really thing they're going to beat
Spacex on price??

Is there any thought by Spacex into developing a larger engine for their boosters?
If I were a customer I would be leery of signing up to use the Falcon Heavy.
with it's 27 engines at launch?? I think they need a 900Kn engine.

Maybe they're just waiting to see if they can make money first with what they have.

M

MeteorWayne

There are plenty. See the SpaceX updates topic in Space Business and Technology.

S

shuttle_guy

I had to move from my job supporting the Shuttle to the unmanned expendable since our contract supporting the Shuttle was allowed to expire (over 1300 contractors supporting the Shuttle were terminated last Friday). I am now working as a contractor on a team performing the certification of the Falcon 9 to fly NASA payloads and missions to resupply the ISS.

B

bushwhacker

at least your still workin S_G

T

trailrider

S_G,
Does that mean you will be able to give us the low-down on what's happening with Falcon 9, etc., or are you now restricted by proprietary considerations?

M

mr_mark

shuttle guy, that's fantastic! Glad to see you are still working and were able to transition. Hope to hear some updates from you.

B

Boris_Badenov

New SpaceX update.
Since the successful inaugural launch of Falcon 9 in June, we have been busy preparing for our next launch, which includes the first flight of an operational Dragon spacecraft.

This is also the first launch under NASA’s Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (COTS) program. Under COTS, NASA is partnering with commercial companies like SpaceX to develop and demonstrate space transportation capabilities.

The upcoming demonstration mission will launch from Cape Canaveral and should follow a flight plan nearly identical to the first Falcon 9 launch, but this time the Dragon spacecraft will separate from the second stage and will demonstrate operational communications, navigation, maneuvering and reentry. Although it does not have wings like Shuttle, the Dragon spacecraft is controlled throughout reentry by the onboard Draco thrusters which enable the spacecraft to touchdown at a very precise location. While Dragon will initially make water landings, over the long term, Dragon will be landing on land.

B

Boris_Badenov

Pix too. :D
20101001_dragonc1.jpg

20101001_scott.jpg

E

EarthlingX

Pretty pictures :p

I'll just drop some more :roll:

SpaceX updates :
20101001_rotating.jpg

The Dragon spacecraft is mounted on the breakover fixture in the hangar at Cape Canaveral. Photo: Brian Attiyeh / SpaceX.
20101001_pettit.jpg

Three experienced ISS astronauts meet in front of the propulsion clean room with SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell. From left, astronauts Don Pettit (USA), Paolo Nespoli (Italy) and Andre Kuipers (Netherlands). Photo: Roger Gilbertson, SpaceX.
20101001_astros.jpg

Visiting astronauts Akihiko Hoshide from Japan, and NASA astronaut Sunita Williams in front of the full size Dragon model spacecraft. Both have extensive spaceflight experience, and will be stationed aboard the ISS during upcoming Dragon cargo missions. Photo: SpaceX.
20101001_vessel.jpg

The pressure vessel for the next COTS Dragon spacecraft takes shape in Hawthorne. This arrived as a shipment of flat aluminum stock. We machined the triangular isogrid pattern, curved them into conic sections, and welded them into a vessel. By performing extensive production in-house SpaceX keeps costs low, quality high, and production timing streamlined. Photo: SpaceX.

B

Boris_Badenov

I'd like to point out that there are pix of Astronauts from 3 countries plus the US in this update. Somebodies been doing some Globehopping. :D

E

exoscientist

EarthlingX":xtesjt9p said:
Pretty pictures :p

I'll just drop some more :roll:

Thanks for that. Great photos.

Bob Clark

M

mr_mark

About a month away now - 3 weeks until engine test. Things will be getting exciting soon. :D

D

docm

There's a Delta IV Heavy launch set for 9/28 that might push F9/C1 down the road if it has any more delays.

M

mr_mark

The Delta IV launch was bumped down to 11/16 and Falcon 9/Dragon is scheduled still for November 8th so we are good for launch on that date. So we are about 3 weeks for sure as of now. COTS-1 will launch about a week after the shuttle. I guess that mean that Spacex will test the engines whlie both vehicles are on their pads. Should make for a fantastic long range picture. :D

A

aaron38

The Delta IV launch was bumped again to Nov. 5th. How does that work, if the rockets have delays? Do they leapfrog each other, first one ready launches, or does one have to get off the pad before the other can even begin launch prep?

S

stevekk

I read somewhere that this Dragon capsule doesn't include the solar panels and a few other items that will be required for a real "production" cargo flight to the ISS. I assume the capsule has enough batteries to last the 4 hr flight, but shouldn't we start seeing something that is closer to the real thing on these "Demo" flights ?

Will they be carrying 6Kg of simulated cargo inside ?

T

trailrider

Kick the tires! Light the fires! First one in the air (space?) is the leader! :cool:

M

mr_mark

Just over 2 weeks until liftoff! Looks like things are going as planned. Should be a test fire a week before the shuttle launch, So sometime next week. :D

E

EarthlingX

Re: Spacex Falcon 9 Flight 2 COTS -1 Launch (NET Nov 18)

Spaceflight Now has moved Falcon launch date to
Nov. 18 Falcon 9 • Dragon C1
Launch window: TBD
Launch site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida

E

EarthlingX

SDC : Private Space Capsule's Launch Debut Slips to Nov. 18
By Amy Klamper
Space News Staff Writer
posted: 25 October 2010
04:21 pm ET

WASHINGTON — The private spaceflight company Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) has shifted the planned Nov. 8 launch of its Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon cargo vessel to Nov. 18.

"SpaceX is targeting November 18th for our next launch with the 19th and 20th as backup dates," said SpaceX spokeswoman Kirstin Brost in an Oct. 23 e-mail.

M

MeteorWayne

Also during the STS 133 News conference today, NASA confirmed the NET change, so I have edited the topic title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts