SpaceX launches 60 Star satellites, aces rocket landing in milestone flight

Jan 21, 2020
Visit site
Starlink may be spoiling the view of the night sky for astronomers but it's the price of progress. If the people at SpaceX deliver on their promise of cheap, accessible broadband then the rest of us will not be as upset. Having also shown their Falcon 9 rocket to be the American equivalent of Russian Soyuz launchers, it is not "hard to get excited".

Oct 21, 2019
Visit site
I may be wrong about this, but if my memory serves me right, this may be the first time in US space launch history that a launch date was moved up. Every other change that I can remember, going back to Mercury: if the date was changed it was for a delay. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jan 10, 2020
Visit site
Starlink may be spoiling the view of the night sky for astronomers but it's the price of progress. If the people at SpaceX deliver on their promise of cheap, accessible broadband then the rest of us will not be as upset. Having also shown their Falcon 9 rocket to be the American equivalent of Russian Soyuz launchers, it is not "hard to get excited".

So how is screwing up space progress???? You will NEVER see cheap broadband because GREED RULES and these companies will want to make every penny back and then some. The old "price of progress" BS is always spewed while corporations destroy nature. That is NOT progress.

Reactions: DaveC
Apr 23, 2020
Visit site
So how is screwing up space progress???? You will NEVER see cheap broadband because GREED RULES and these companies will want to make every penny back and then some. The old "price of progress" BS is always spewed while corporations destroy nature. That is NOT progress.
But how can you screw up space? It is already in a screwed up state. And what's wrong with having fast internet where it's never been and would never be without the satellites?
It can only be considered competion to the "greedy" land based ISP's and that never hurts. I have heard the suggested price will be around $80/mo. Even at that price it will be $30 dollars cheaper than my windstream connection. I say "Go Starlink GO!"

Reactions: Postman1 and Hari

COLGeek

Just a couple thoughts.

What goes up, will surely come down (some day).

More stuff in orbit means more opportunities for things to go wrong (like get out of position and damage other things).

Ground based astronomy is significantly impacted.

What happens when these companies or countries decide (for a variety of reasons) to give up on the these devices/efforts?

🤔🤔🤔🤔

Latest posts