SpaceX - Merlin 2 & BFR

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maitri982

Hi All,

Elon mentioned way back in 2005 that they were going to be developing an F-1 class engine called Merlin 2 that would be used on a rocket called "BFR". I am sure you can figure, knowing Elon, what that stands for unofficially :)

He was supposed to provide an update on this engine later that year, but never did. Does anyone know if they are still planning on developing it and the BFR?

Thanks,
M

W

webtaz99

They have to pay for that development somehow, and at least some of that will come from Falcon 1 launches. They are (wisely IMO) taking a "one step at a time" approach.

T

tkimble1080

I think Elon dropped his BFR idea for the next decade, until F9 (and thus F9H) get payloads and destinations.

My predictions:

1) With his client backlog increasing, COTS locked in until 2014, and employee base growing at 20-30% each yr, have no doubt that SpaceX is here to stay. I think one successful launch of a F9, and SpaceX will have gotten past the "point of no return" whereby their business/assests will be on sound footing no matter what really happens with every single future flight, save a public disaster such as ISS incident, etc. This is an awesome event having seen so many paper AltSpace companies vanish.

2) SpaceX will have a dress-rehersal F9 HEAVY variant at the Cape by December 2013, 3.5 years from today, which will work in conjunction/complement with NASA's future Ares V. I can't even imagine the work req'd for test site upgrades, launch site upgrade/preparation, etc.

3) DRUMROLL --- SpaceX will launch a sortie/cargo mission to Mars before December 2015 using a F9 HEAVY...perhaps a NASA class robot, two after MSL which launches in 2011. (The next launch cycle after the 2013 launch)

4) DRUMROLL --- SpaceX will launch human mission to Mars before 2024, fifteen years from today....a long time from now. A company and CEO with this drive, and this amount of accomplishments in basically just 6 years, and this few competitors, will be the lead in the industry. Elon probably has this as a personal goal in his lifetime...37+15...

ps - Anyone think SpaceX can do better in the PR Dept; esp their play-by-play webcast crew....? The female girl is probably decent looking, but sounded way out of her comfort zone, almost stuttering from cue cards.

pps - Anyone else here wish they lived in southern CA to join this team?

T

ThereIWas2

Last fall, didn't they have their new VP of Marketing doing the TV show, along with an engineer? She was much better than the one this time.

M

Maitri982

thanks guns and rockets...

I encourage everyone to go to you tube and watch the AIAA here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsxQypAfCME

there are good presentations from SpaceX and Orbital as well as ULA and Bigelow. Bigelow's presentation says little about what they are doing and mostly highlights the fact that they can't get people to their space station as the US has no human rated commercial launcher.

I think that the fortunes of human space flight lie with ULA and Spacex now...and if i want to add the word "affordable" in there, then its really just SpaceX.

Status
Not open for further replies.