SPAMMER IN THIS FORUM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfshadw

The Admin and Moderation teams are doing what we can to reduce the amount of SPAM that our forum members see. While we do catch quite a bit of it, some of it still gets through to the public forums. Please remember that the Moderation team (who handles most of the SPAM) is a small group of volunteers who do their best to keep SPAM to a minimum. Unfortunately we cannot be here 24/7. The Admin team is also looking into the best ways of reducing/eliminating SPAM from ever reaching our readers.

Please bear with us as we continue to attack the problem.

Thank you for your time and patience.
Wolfshadw

Apr 1, 2021
Visit site
The Admin and Moderation teams are doing what we can to reduce the amount of SPAM that our forum members see. While we do catch quite a bit of it, some of it still gets through to the public forums. Please remember that the Moderation team (who handles most of the SPAM) is a small group of volunteers who do their best to keep SPAM to a minimum. Unfortunately we cannot be here 24/7. The Admin team is also looking into the best ways of reducing/eliminating SPAM from ever reaching our readers.

Please bear with us as we continue to attack the problem.

Thank you for your time and patience.
Wolfshadw
Thank you. The problem is getting even worse. Tons of spam everyday now. Probably all from the same person. Is everyone getting all the email notifications I am?

Wolfshadw

Thank you. The problem is getting even worse. Tons of spam everyday now. Probably all from the same person. Is everyone getting all the email notifications I am?
I would recommend turning off e-mail notifications for the time being. To do so, click on your forum name in the top-right corner of the page and select preferences. Scroll down to E-Mail options and deselect both items.

Again we thank you for your patience while we attempt to deal with this situation.

-Wolf sends

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.

The only spam I am getting now is from Adblock, since I cancelled my subscription. They are worse than what they were blocking. Price jumped from £33 to ~£140 on renewal, then dropped to next to nothing. Beware if you are coming up to renewal. At least, that is my experience.

Cat :)

Catastrophe

Pogo, I totally agree with you about the excellence of the Admin :)

With the single, slight problem I do have, which is particular to me, I would appreciate it, if anyone has any ideas. I am lucky enough to have no spam problems whatsoever, with this single exception.

Catastrophe

COLGeek,
Sorry to ask you here, but there seems no reply to "?" in my notification box

Does that mean that the Adblock Remove ads bit is a notification from Admin, and cannot be turned off? Surely not, because it leads on to a flashing frame with "Renew now. £100 off".

It says:
The notifications above the envelop and bell are not SPAM. They are functions of the forums.
They are not "above" the envelope and bell, they are "on top of" these. I don't know if this makes any difference, or just a question of semantics?

Catastrophe

The full text is as follows:

Unfortunately, your recent report has been rejected: Post in thread 'SPAMMER IN THIS FORUM!' - The notifications above the envelop and bell are not SPAM. They are functions of the forums. If you are receiving e-mail notifications about these, you can turn that function off (e-mails, not notifications). See post #4 in the thread.

COLGeek

COLGeek,
Sorry to ask you here, but there seems no reply to "?" in my notification box

Does that mean that the Adblock Remove ads bit is a notification from Admin, and cannot be turned off? Surely not, because it leads on to a flashing frame with "Renew now. £100 off".

It says:

They are not "above" the envelope and bell, they are "on top of" these. I don't know if this makes any difference, or just a question of semantics?

This reeks of an ad or redirect.

Regarding #15, I don't understand the inquiry.

Clear your browser history, scan your system for malware (cleaning any identified threats), then check again.

Also, what browser and extensions/add-ons/etc are you using? Doe the behavior you mentioned happen with other browsers?

Catastrophe

COLGeek,
Re: my post #15, my post #13 quotes the content from the notification from ? [sic]. ? is the "name" of the sender, not a question on my part. I cannot post a link, so I quoted full content. Does this help to clarify?

P.S. Sorry, I was not joking about the plaster ceiling falling down from about one third of my kitchen about midnight here (BST), so my head is a bit of a mess at the moment. :)

Catastrophe

COLGeek,

Re: post #4,
click on your forum name in the top-right corner of the page and select preferences. Scroll down to E-Mail options and deselect both items.

I have turned off both e-mail options under preferences as per post #4 but, as expected from above, it makes no difference. Cat :)

Wolfshadw

The notifications above the envelop and bell are not SPAM. They are functions of the forums. If you are receiving e-mail notifications about these, you can turn that function off (e-mails, not notifications). See post #4 in the thread.

For the record, I rejected your Report as it was not referring to a SPAM post in these forums. The quote above was the text I sent to you letting you know why the Report was rejected. I'm still not sure what you are referring to as SPAM from these forums.

-Wolf sends

Catastrophe

Wolfshadw, I am sorry if there is some misunderstanding here. I was not being critical of space.com or Admin in any way whatsoever.
The thing I am referring to seems to be coming from the company I declined to renew from. It says "Remove Ads TOTAL Adblock, and has a slider off/on which I ignore. I press 'X' in the top RH corner and it goes away, but returns if I do anything like go to 'Forums'.

Cat :) :) :)

Catastrophe

Wolfshadw, this thing sits above (as in "on top of", not as in higher up the page. It obscures the envelope and bell icons. It is from the organisation I alluded to - it is nothing whatsoever to do with space.com or this forum - I know that. Is spam the right word?

Wolfshadw

Sounds more like ad-ware. Some ad-blocking software that either you installed; possibly as an extension to your browser now wants you to subscribe (and pay the fee).

What OS, browser and version are you currently running when you come to space.com?

For instance, I'm running:
Windows 10 21H2
Firefox 101.0.1 (64-Bit)
uBlock 0.9.5.25 installed as a Firefox extension.

-Wolf sends

P.S. A quick Google search shows that there is a Chrome browser add-on called Total Adblock which is a pay service (as opposed to AdBlock or AdBlockPlus)

Last edited:

Catastrophe

I apologise to any other user of that name. My comments are only directed about the organisation to which I subscribed, decided not to renew to, and which now seems to be annoying me with constant "spam".

Catastrophe

Sounds more like ad-ware. Some ad-blocking software that either you installed; possibly as an extension to your browser now wants you to subscribe (and pay the fee).

What OS, browser and version are you currently running when you come to space.com?

Windows 10 21H2
Firefox 101.0.1 (64-Bit)

-Wolf sends

P.S. A quick Google search shows that there is a Chrome browser add-on called Total Adblock which is a pay service (as opposed to AdBlock or AdBlockPlus)

Sounds more like ad-ware. Some ad-blocking software that either you installed;

Yes, this seems exactly the case. I subscribed for a year, then the subscription rose from about £33 to about £135. When I declined to renew, the sub dropped TO about 10%, viz, about £13.5. I am 83, and I mentioned the kitchen ceiling falling down (the plaster ? coating, not the whole ceiling). Nevertheless, I am a bit out of my head in matters if specific detail. I will check later.

Catastrophe

Windows 10 21H2
Firefox 101.0.1 (64-Bit)

-Wolf sends

I am using Windows 10. I don't know how to find out about the other items. I don't recognise the name Firefox, so I suspect not (2) and (3).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts