• Thread starter darkmatter4brains
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jim48

darkmatter4brains":2tjwmafn said:
Do they have these anymore?

Of course they do, and for decades they have been slick and professionally produced. I went to my last con in 1976, which should tell you how long I've been away from fandom. Nothing but happy memories, though. I only went to one big 3 day convention. We used to have "mini-cons" down here, usually held on a Sunday. A lot of fun in those pre-VCR/DVD days. The local tv stations would loan out Star Trek, Twilight Zone and whatever sci fi movies they had. At the last con I went to I met George Takei and Noel Neil who played Lois Lane on The Adventures of Superman. Both were gracious and funny.

S

StarRider1701

darkmatter4brains":1rl2h12u said:

Sure they do. I went to the one here in Columbus, Ohio back in June dressed as Mr. Spock. Had a blast. Didn't meet any notables tho, but got a couple of really cool Stargate T-shirts. There were many people in costume, not only from Trek shows but Stargate, Babylon 5 - I saw Zathrus - that was cool, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars and many more Science Fiction shows and movies.
Check your local paper's calandar of events, there is likely at least one near you each year.

S

starsinmyeyes44

jim48":39ynufg9 said:
darkmatter4brains":39ynufg9 said:

Of course they do, and for decades they have been slick and professionally produced. I went to my last con in 1976, which should tell you how long I've been away from fandom. Nothing but happy memories, though. I only went to one big 3 day. We used to have "mini-cons" down here, usually held on a Sunday. A lot of fun in those pre-VCR/DVD days. The local tv stations would loan out Star Trek, Twilight Zone and whatever sci fi movies they had. At the last con I went to I met George Takei and Noel Neil who played Lois Lane on Superman. Both were gracious and funny.

Me, too!
I went to one in Albuquerque in 1977, I believe, and I shook hands with George Takei and got his autograph...he was very nice. (He's got a very deep voice!)

J

jim48

StarRider1701":36cns62c said:
darkmatter4brains":36cns62c said:

Sure they do. I went to the one here in Columbus, Ohio back in June dressed as Mr. Spock. Had a blast. Didn't meet any notables tho, but got a couple of really cool Stargate T-shirts. There were many people in costume, not only from Trek shows but Stargate, Babylon 5 - I saw Zathrus - that was cool, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars and many more Science Fiction shows and movies.
Check your local paper's calandar of events, there is likely at least one near you each year.

Ah, listen there, 1701, ah... Yer not thinkin' of dressing up as Spock for Operation Area 51 Freedom, are ya'? On the other hand I wonder if anyone would even notice. I've known lots of Trekkers over the years, some still very active in fandom. Around 1973-74 I attended a lecture by Gene Roddenberry and Leonard Nimoy--seperately. Both were quite entertaining. That was when I realized that Nimoy is as much an intellectual as Roddenberry was. Roddenberry ran the original Star Trek pilot plus the blooper reel from all three seasons. Nimoy covered a lot of ground and both took a lot of questions from the audience.

T

thebigcat

I don't know about Star Trek specifically but I do know that science fiction fan conventions are alive and well. I have been an annual attendee at NorWesCon, the Northwest Science Fiction and Fantasy Convention for some time.

One thing I have noticed is that Star Trek costumes have gotten rarer and rarer, a shame really because Klingon Karaoke was very entertaining.

S

StarRider1701

jim48":daubfvuv said:
Ah, listen there, 1701, ah... Yer not thinkin' of dressing up as Spock for Operation Area 51 Freedom, are ya'? On the other hand I wonder if anyone would even notice. I've known lots of Trekkers over the years, some still very active in fandom. Around 1973-74 I attended a lecture by Gene Roddenberry and Leonard Nimoy--seperately. Both were quite entertaining. That was when I realized that Nimoy is as much an intellectual as Roddenberry was. Roddenberry ran the original Star Trek pilot plus the blooper reel from all three seasons. Nimoy covered a lot of ground and both took a lot of questions from the audience.

Ah, NO! I'm not doing dark colored, skin tight polyester in the summer in the desert! I wouldn't need to worry about Camo dudes or giant scorpions, the heat would take me out in 5 min flat!

I envy your lecture attendance. I'll bet that was a great time. I joined the Air Force in 73 and was stationed in Germany from 74 - 77. Not so many opprotunities for me as far as Treking goes. By the way, I hate the term trekkie and dislike in the extreme trekker. I am a Star Trek Fan.

D

darkmatter4brains

thanks, I'll have to keep my eyes opened. I did find a web site that seemed to indicate one was in the Los Angeles area in 2008. Maybe we'll still get one this year?

What's the Area 51 thing you guys mentioned?

J

jim48

darkmatter4brains":tje9w17r said:
thanks, I'll have to keep my eyes opened. I did find a web site that seemed to indicate one was in the Los Angeles area in 2008. Maybe we'll still get one this year?

What's the Area 51 thing you guys mentioned?

Area 51 thing? What Area 51 thing? :D Go to Free Space and if you have plenty of time read the thread Area 51 Trip--Is It Worth It?, then the Area 51 Sign-Up thread. I think you be amused. Be sure to post at each thread and welcome! ;)

Z

ZenGalacticore

ATTENTION: Fellow Starfleet Personnel-

Please send Zen notification whenever a Star Trek Convention is happening anywhere within a .0000000000000000000000000000001 parsec radius of Atlanta Georgia. I will beam down and attend the function. Accompanied by my wife from the planet Auquas.8

*It's a planet 95% covered by Ocean, hence the name. :cool:

Or notify me even if the convention is in Atlanta itself. I don't keep up with that kind of local stuff anymore.

D

drwayne

A number of years ago I wore a TOS blue uniform to work on haloween, with a phaser II, communicator,
and tri-corder.

It's a fine line between that "eccentric/smart" image and the "complete nutjob, run!" image.

Where is it again????

Wayne

L

lildreamer

AT FanExpo 2005 in Toronto
My first ever FAN activity I saw Marina Sirtis - Counselor Deanna Troi of STNG
I was amazed at the short line up of clients wanting to get her picture and signature
SO I went up and explained this is the first time ever I did this kind of activity asking a "star" for their signature.
She was gracious, courteous, and slightly comical, making comments about her husband being an American Gladiator...
At the time I paid $30 dollars for a picture and her autograph, but beside us was Kevin Sorbo - Mister Hercules /Capt. Dylan Hunt
He was another I wanted an autograph for - thought cool to see the people who flesh out the characters for us.
When I mentioned he was asking $40 dollars - with mock snide remarks she started shouting
What $40 dollars for doing what one failed movie and two series while I was in a half dozen TV shows, several movies and a iconic TV show for close to 10 years...
Loud enough for him to hear and get a good laugh

She is a remarkable good looking woman in person and treated her fans with genuine heart felt remarks and questions –

Sorry for the long response :D

edit - time line is 2005 not 2007

D

drwayne

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. I know I find it fascinating
to have people share their in-person impressions of celebreties. It is easy
to think of them as "product" or "machines" - the real people are interesting
to find out about.

Wayne

J

jim48

drwayne":3q52373r said:
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. I know I find it fascinating
to have people share their in-person impressions of celebreties. It is easy
to think of them as "product" or "machines" - the real people are interesting
to find out about.

Wayne

Okay. It's late at night. Cocktail hour. Remind to tell you about the very last Star Trek con I attended, circa 1976-77, and how I got laid by Vampira!!! What a costume!!! It was a three-day weekend con and she was gorgeous!!! Some of my nerdy friends and I had a room at the hotel but vampire babe and I did not retreat to there, of course. Wow! What a memory!!! I was in my last year of high school. She had black fishnet stockings and black lipstick and long black hair down to her butt and black fingernails and black... I am sooo going back in time!!! That was the con where I met Sulu and Lois Lane. Sulu was an athelete, ran on the beach. We ran together for a while. A very nice man!

D

darkmatter4brains

hmmmm, based on jim's last post, these star trek conventions are sounding more fun than I ever would have imagined ;)

Just looked at the Area 51 thread. Don't know if I would be able to join, but I've always wanted to head out that way. I'm not even that far away either, maybe a 6 hour drive or so.

S

StarRider1701

Actually, I think the event I attended was a Science Fiction Convention rather than a specific Star Trek convention. Still a lot of Trek stuff and costumed folk there, probably nearly half the costumes being Star Fleet or Klingon with a few other Trek universe aliens mixed in. But also lots of other SF stuff as I said before, B5, Battlestar, Farscape, Star Wars, the various Stargates and even a few superheroes. There was lots of D&D type gaming and just lots of fun in general. Perhaps look up an SF Convention, not just specifically Star Trek.

J

jim48

darkmatter4brains":p0254qwr said:
hmmmm, based on jim's last post, these star trek conventions are sounding more fun than I ever would have imagined ;)

Just looked at the Area 51 thread. Don't know if I would be able to join, but I've always wanted to head out that way. I'm not even that far away either, maybe a 6 hour drive or so.

The original Area 51 is back up in the ratings in Free Space. If you want a ton of yucks go read all 22 pages and leave a post! ;) There is also a sign-up thread. A few years back I dated a gal who was still into fandom. Every year she goes on a cruise that features a floating Star Trek con with celebrities. She's a high school physics teacher and one year for Halloween she wore her starfleet uniform to school, the burgandy one from the movies. I'd love to have the pattern for that white shirt Kirk wore in III and IV!

Status
Not open for further replies.