Star Trek Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bdewoody

A friend brought me the Star Trek movies on CD to watch while I'm in rehab and I just watched "The Final Frontier". Not the best of the group but still fun to watch. It made me wonder whether William Shatner was really a rock climber or was a stunt double used in the rock climbing scenes.

N

nimbus

It's not the best of all of them, but there's a quality to that era in the ST movies. The scenes have a realistic look that's excellent help in suspending disbelief. Where very early movies were really corny and the camera optics were blurry, and where later "TNG" era films had another kind of soap opera kind of optics blur, those late Shatner ST movies were realistically crisp. It's only now that we've gotten the whole "High Def" fad that we're seeing such crisp optics again.

S

space_tycoon

Horrible movie. Sorry.

But then, my favourite Trek movie is the very first one. Different strokes.

D

drwayne

There has, I think, been a tendency when making movies based on old TV series to "humanize"
larger than life characters, to give more "dimension" to them.

In some cases it works, but I still find I like the Kirk I see in Trek novels more than the movie
version. In most cases I have read, he is edgier and meaner than the TV version, which is
in turn sharper than the movie version.

It is entirely possible, even probable that that is due to a limitation on my part...

S

starsinmyeyes44

bdewoody":3jhwrjs4 said:
A friend brought me the Star Trek movies on CD to watch while I'm in rehab and I just watched "The Final Frontier". Not the best of the group but still fun to watch. It made me wonder whether William Shatner was really a rock climber or was a stunt double used in the rock climbing scenes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098382/trivia

From the above, I think a stunt double was used.

Trivia for
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989) More at IMDbPro »
ad feedbackThe name "Sha Ka Ree" is a play on words from the original actor asked to play the part of Sybok: Sean Connery.
Link this trivia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The surface of Nimbus III as viewed during reconnaissance by Captain Kirk was generated from an electron microscope image of a lobster's claw.
Link this trivia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of William Shatner's daughters, Melanie Shatner, appears as the yeoman that holds Kirk's malfunctioning Captain's log.
Link this trivia

The film's special effects were not done by ILM because the members of ILM were already working on Ghostbusters II (1989) and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989). This hindered the film's ending greatly because the ending was to be much longer than Kirk simply being chased by "God." However, the sequence had to be cut out as a result of awful-looking special effects. The scenes were replaced by more shots of George Murdock's face, except his eyes glowed.
Link this trivia

Enterprise-D corridor sets from "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987) were used as Enterprise-A corridors in this film. Very few cosmetic alterations were made so as not to interfere with filming of the TV series, which was under way at the same time.
Link this trivia

The sick-bay from "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987) is used, unaltered in the film, which marks the first appearance of Star Trek's LCARS computer system.
Link this trivia

Shots of the Enterprise-A in space dock and of space dock itself were originally produced by Industrial Light and Magic for Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986).
Link this trivia

An entirely new Enterprise bridge, with the single solitary exception of the Turbolift foyers, was built for this film.
Link this trivia

The mountain that Captain Kirk climbs in Yosemite is named, aptly enough, El Capitan.
Link this trivia

Shots of Spock talking to Kirk while he is climbing El Capitan in Yosemite were actually filmed on a set in a parking lot at a vista point overlooking the valley. The actual face of El Capitan is just visible in the background behind Kirk.
Link this trivia

William Shatner asked Paramount for money to complete the film the way he originally intended, for release on DVD. Paramount refused.
Link this trivia

Stuntman Kenny Bates is credited with the highest descender fall in the U.S., standing in for William Shatner's fall from El Capitan.
Link this trivia

One of the blip sound effects on Enterprise-A shuttlecraft Copernicus was from 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). Another, in the scene where the Galileo makes an emergency landing to avoid a Klingon attack, is from 2010 (1984).
Link this trivia

Teamsters, or drivers, to transport the crew, cast and equipment to Yosemite were hard to find due to a strike that was going on at the time.
Link this trivia

Cut scenes included Kirk being pursued by rock monsters on the 'God' planet. The rock monsters were men in rubber suits, and also included a smoking effect. According to William Shatner, in order to achieve this, cigarette smoke was blown in the suits before cameras rolled. The rock monsters were scrapped due to lack of believability and time constraints.
Link this trivia

Final film voyage of the complete original crew of the USS Enterprise. Although there would be one more film featuring the original cast, the character of Sulu is no longer a member of the Enterprise crew in the next movie, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)
Link this trivia

The name of Dr. McCoy's dying father, according to Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984), is David.
Link this trivia

Laurence Luckinbill (Sybok) is the real-life son-in-law of Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball. Desi and Lucy's production company, Desilu Productions, produced the first two seasons of "Star Trek" (1966).
Link this trivia

This film contains the first confirmed appearance of Starfleet Marines - the officers accompanying Kirk and crew down to Nimbus III have since been said to be Marines.
Link this trivia

Max von Sydow was favored to play Sybok.
Link this trivia

William Shatner, in an interview on E! Entertainment Television, said that David Warner's character was going to have a prop that consisted of a self-lighting cigarette. According to Shatner, they simply forgot to use it in one of the scenes even though the prop actually worked and cost thousands of dollars.
Link this trivia

To achieve the shot of the shuttlecraft crashing onto the landing deck of the Enterprise, a scale model was placed on a launching pad connected to garage door springs. A crane was used to move the catapult into place.
Link this trivia

Originally, the opening of Kirk's El Capitan ascent would have been a galactic shot of the Milky Way, zooming into the solar system, and finally an aerial view of Yosemite. This was too expensive to film. But a similar tracking shot was done years later at the beginning of Star Trek: First Contact (1996) during Picard's Borg assimilation flashback dream.
Link this trivia

The malfunctioning log recorder uttering "Good morning, Captain." was an in-joke for Admiral Kirk and party's sabotage of the USS Excelsior's bridge computer in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984) which read the same thing across the helm screen.
Link this trivia

The instrument panel tones are the original, bridge sound effects from the series, only more digitally synthesized.
Link this trivia

EASTER EGG: From the "Deleted Scenes" page on disk 2 of the Special Collector's Edition, scrolling to "Behold Paradise" and pressing the left arrow highlights a round icon. Selecting this button shows gag reel footage of David Loughery, Ralph Winter, and Harve Bennett integrated with material from the turbo shaft sequence.
Link this trivia

The on-screen confrontation between William Shatner (Captain Kirk) and George Murdock ("God") is not the first for these two actors. They went head-to-head in Crash (1978) (TV), with Shatner as an air-crash investigator and Murdock as his excessively bureaucratic superior. This was the film Shatner made just before returning to the Kirk role in Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979).
Link this trivia

During pre-production meetings, screenwriter David Loughery jokingly proposed to have Commander Uhura (Nichelle Nichols) appear as an erotic dancer in order to lure away the hostage takers from the Paradise compound. He was surprised to learn that the producers approved of the idea right away.
Link this trivia

Captain Klaa's Klingon Bird-of-Prey "Okrona", as it was named in the script, was named after linguist and Klingon language co-creator Marc Okrand.
Link this trivia

Nicholas Meyer was offered the chance to pen the screenplay, but declined.
Link this trivia

The space probe that was destroyed by the Klingon Bird of Prey was the Pioneer 10 space probe, which was launched in March of 1972 and became the first space probe to pass by and photograph the planet Jupiter. It is currently heading towards the star of Aldebaran, which it should reach in about 2 million years.
Link this trivia

The shuttlecraft Uhura uses to pick up Kirk, Spock, and McCoy from Yosimite Park is the Shuttlecraft "Galileo". The Galileo was prominently featured in the original series episode "The Galileo Seven" in which Spock, McCoy, Scotty and a survey team in the shuttlecraft get stranded on an alien planet.
Link this trivia

According to the text commentary on the DVD, Sulu and Chekov were supposed to be seen hiking at Mount Rushmore (even though the scene was filmed at Yosimite along with the scenes of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy). Originally, there was supposed to be a tracking shot going up to reveal the Presidents' faces on a matte painting and that the matte would feature an African-American female president. The crew did do a rough matte of the Presidents' faces but the idea was scrapped due to budget constraints.
Link this trivia

According to William Shatner on the DVD Commentary, two of his stunt doubles in the movie were his stunt doubles on "T.J. Hooker" (1982).
Link this trivia

In McCoy's first scene, where he complains about Kirk's rock climbing, he says "If I'm not careful, I'll end up talking to myself." McCoy said the exact same thing in the original series episode "Star Trek: The Corbomite Maneuver (#1.10)" (1966).
Link this trivia

William Shatner's original idea for the climactic battle with the "False God" was for the ground to give away and reveal the ten levels of Hell in a homage to Dante's Inferno. The rock monsters were supposed to be apart of this sequence but Paramount refused to increase the film's budget so the idea, along with the already created rock monster, was canceled.
Link this trivia

According to George Takei, he originally turned down this film because he did not want to be directed by William Shatner with whom he has had a long standing feud. But Shatner convinced Takei to reprise his role.
Link this trivia

Walter Koenig said in interviews he only worked 8 days on the film.
Link this trivia

As the Shuttlecraft Galileo is en route back to the Enterprise-A, Captain Kirk recites the line "All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" from the John Masefield poem "Sea Fever". Kirk had originally recited that same line years earlier during the episode "Star Trek: The Ultimate Computer (#2.24)" (1968).
Link this trivia

This film marks the largest, living thing Spock neck pinched: a horse.

D

docm

My favorite Trek films (not in order)

Wrath of Khan
Search for Spock
Voyage Home
Undiscovered Country
First Contact
Star Trek (2009)

S

StarRider1701

space_tycoon":2gb7p3e5 said:
Horrible movie. Sorry.

But then, my favourite Trek movie is the very first one. Different strokes.

The first movie was well done and appeared to me to be a blending of several TOS episodes. Sadly, it was also boring. Thankfully, they got better after that!

M

MeteorWayne

For the first movie, the word boring is several magnitudes short of the true description. It was unwatchable, IMHO.

The opening sequence of the Wrath of Khan showed GOOD Star Trek movie could be, and the rest of the movie was gripping. Besides, Kirstie Alley was a fox back then :oops:

J

jim48

We could be here for quite some time with the Star Trek movies featuring the original cast! #5 suffered from a weak script, though Shatner turned out to be a good director. Aliens took over the ship with ridiculous ease, IMO. The guy who played Sybok was very good! Thankfully the next Star Trek movie was much better.

A

a_lost_packet_

MeteorWayne":20dmxx39 said:
For the first movie, the word boring is several magnitudes short of the true description. It was unwatchable, IMHO.

Well, I'd have to say that the novel nature of a real, honest to goodness Star Trek movie held my attention. Yes, it was slow. BUT, seeing the TOS crew and the Enterprise, reinvisioned, was worth it.

The opening sequence of the Wrath of Khan showed GOOD Star Trek movie could be, and the rest of the movie was gripping. Besides, Kirstie Alley was a fox back then :oops:

True. But, the opening scene of the first Star Trek movie was pretty darn awesome, IMO. It remains one of my favorite ST movie scenes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwLrEcwtFM4[/youtube]

D

doublehelix

My favorite is Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. Loved that they were in the Bay Area, that it involved humpback whales, and emphasized the importance of the creatures of the sea to the survival of the planet. Also that it involved the Monterey Bay Aquarium, one of the coolest aquariums in the country.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfts9WLXINE[/youtube]

-dh, who should have been a marine biologist

N

nimbus

nimbus":1hvn1tmt said:
It's only now that we've gotten the whole "High Def" fad that we're seeing such crisp optics again.
And even that's remarkably different: now we've got way higher contrast, whereas back then the image was generally very normal. Maybe one of the few excellent contributions of the 80s..

A

a_lost_packet_

JasonChapman":3tccc2s1 said:
The Rath of Khan does it for me. :D

Then there was that scene in The Rash of Khan where that guy came in with that big jar of Desitin cream and threatened to use it on Checkov and that other captain... scary and unsettling...

J

JasonChapman

a_lost_packet_":2y6p9xbi said:
JasonChapman":2y6p9xbi said:
The Rath of Khan does it for me. :D

Then there was that scene in The Rash of Khan where that guy came in with that big jar of Desitin cream and threatened to use it on Checkov and that other captain... scary and unsettling...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts