Stardust. a movie by Neil Gaimen

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

serak_the_preparer

<i>No, seriously, I am a spear carrier, not a "Centurian of Auxillaries (Spear)". <br /><br />If I was in it, I would be one of the Faithful that the Lords cynically use as Seige Engine fodder.</i><br /><br />Well, this is why they call it 'acting,' I guess. You and I both would most likely be fodder sacrificed to the watery depths of Rebma or the unforgiving face of Kolvir, if Amber were real and we were part of it. Personality-wise, however, if the gods were kind and allowed me the privilege of doing the casting for a film version, I'd have you playing Bleys. (And the casting pool in this case is, of course, being drawn from the ranks of our very own Uplink boards.) About whom Corwin says, 'he held a sword in his right hand and a glass of wine in his left, and the devil himself danced behind his eyes....' : )<br /><br /><i>I think that New Zealand would offer quite a few locations that Amber could be filmed in...</i><br /><br />Me, too. I would think you'd want a fresher, younger-seeming countryside than Europe. Dramatic landscape is required. Places in America could do the trick, and certainly some locations up in Canada, which a lot of movie-makers have lately discovered to be a useful setting for their craft. But, if not Canada, then, yes, New Zealand. Mountains, forests, glaciers, ocean - it's got it all.<br /><br /><i>How we are going to deal with making Amber look more real than our OWN world, the colours brighter, the things more healthy...</i><br /><br />The state-of-the-art CGI seemed to do the trick for LOTR. So why not Amber?<br /><br /><i>. . . be gone till Xmas...</i><br /><br />On this post's subject, an early Christmas present is waiting for you here. : )

E

etavaunt

I guess with my luck, any character I was, would turn out to have been merely a re-programmed Pattern Ghost, and no-one around to give me some blood either.<br /><br />OK, you are right of course, lots of the USA fr instance, would be essential for filming it, but then, you also have a lot of the other parts of things, like the mountains etc.<br /><br /><br />Just re-read them, down on the farm. Not as good as I remember them, but then, I read them when I was about 15, so once again, my imagination has filled in the extra colour and detail.<br /><br />Two things occur to me.Spoilerish things, so I will leave a gap here.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /> If you can make a Trump of one of the Courts of Chaos people, how un chaotic of them, to be able to be "Represented" and then contactablethrough the "Representation". Very like an act of order, wouldn't one say?.<br />Two. When the bloke that was in front of Merlin ala-succession gets "Bumped Off" the ledge into the Pit, wasn't the crowd wack fulla Sorcerers? People what could levitate?. Seems pretty hard hearted of them, don't it?.

S

serak_the_preparer

[...long-delayed response, along with a few Amber spoilers, follows...]<br /><br /><i>Just re-read them, down on the farm. Not as good as I remember them, but then, I read them when I was about 15, so once again, my imagination has filled in the extra colour and detail.</i><br /><br />Know what you mean. Just re-read them again myself. By book #5, Zelazny did seem to be running out of steam. One of the reasons I respected him so much for saying, upon conclusion of the series, 'There will be no 6th book for "The Chronicles of Amber" - the story is finished.' But then, 7 years later, there was, and there wasn't, a 6th book ('was' because it took place in the Amber milieu, 'wasn't' because it did not continue the tale of Corwin's adventures there, but took up with a new protagonist). I don't blame Zelazny one bit for needing a paycheck - I just wish the second series had found a way to defeat the perennial problem of the sequel; i.e., that the sequel is rarely as good as the original.<br /><br />Still, the first five Amber books remain a classic, in my opinion. Will always be fond of them, and that partly for the reason you suggest; they came along at a time in my life when I was perfectly primed to read them.<br /><br /><i>If you can make a Trump of one of the Courts of Chaos people, how un chaotic of them, to be able to be "Represented" and then contactablethrough the "Representation". Very like an act of order, wouldn't one say?</i><br /><br />At first glance, yes. But even the pole of existence represented by the Courts is not the pure essence of chaos; it is 'contaminated,' if you like, with elements of order. It contains life, for instance. Likewise, the other more orderly end of existence known as Amber suffers from its share of chaos. It contains, for example, death (though, granted, folk there tend to possess extremely long life-spans).<br /><br />As the jackal at the border of the Waste tells Corwin:<br /><br /><b>'I think of the images of Amber passing through t</b>

P

pmn1

You can tell where the Prachett influence and the Gaimen influenece comes into the book. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.