Stargate Universe

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StarRider1701

bdewoody":1lhvqghs said:
Tonight's episode is continuing the soap opera trend. I think it's becoming a cross between Battlestar Galactica and Desparate Housewives. Plus the totally blew off the end of last week's little aliens episode. I guess we assume they finally went back and got one of the creatures and purified their water. Frack

Yes, we were to assume that, since the time loop gave them a couple of chances to do so, that they would eventually be smart enough to get it right once!

I really didn't like the end of the last episode. There is a big, hunking bodyguard who just stands there while someone (we don't know whose body the Col was in) beats the crap out of an Air Force Colonel? In the beginning I kinda liked the idea of the comm stones, it let them keep in touch. But now Colonel Carter (or someone) needs to find some techno-babble reason for them NOT using those stones so much. It does make the show too much like a soap opera and not enough Science Fiction.

1of6Billion

StarRider1701":1go7b0v3 said:
Yes, we were to assume that, since the time loop gave them a couple of chances to do so, that they would eventually be smart enough to get it right once!

I really didn't like the end of the last episode. There is a big, hunking bodyguard who just stands there while someone (we don't know whose body the Col was in) beats the crap out of an Air Force Colonel? In the beginning I kinda liked the idea of the comm stones, it let them keep in touch. But now Colonel Carter (or someone) needs to find some techno-babble reason for them NOT using those stones so much. It does make the show too much like a soap opera and not enough Science Fiction.

Well they (LtScott) are beginning to experience side effects of the stones. So hopefully they are offlimits for recreational use soon ;)

B

bdewoody

Spoiler alert...

Well they ended the season on a grim note. One soldier shot himself and Rush botched an attempt to frame the Col. One scientisit fried his brain sitting in the alien chair and Rush got stranded on a planet by the Col. However I'm betting that Rush will manage to get into the abandoned alien spaceship that was conveniently crashed on the planet, get it flying and get back to Destiny.

C

crazyeddie

bdewoody":6tu2q2ea said:
Spoiler alert...
However I'm betting that Rush will manage to get into the abandoned alien spaceship that was conveniently crashed on the planet, get it flying and get back to Destiny.

Ya think? He's a too-principle character to be killed off, although it seems to me that they could do very well without him as long as they have smartboy Eli around.

I must admit, trying to like this show is work. They are trying to give it a "Battlestar Galactica" edginess, but I find myself not particularly liking or caring about any of the characters.

S

StarRider1701

crazyeddie":2rdier09 said:
bdewoody":2rdier09 said:
However I'm betting that Rush will manage to get into the abandoned alien spaceship that was conveniently crashed on the planet, get it flying and get back to Destiny.

I must admit, trying to like this show is work. They are trying to give it a "Battlestar Galactica" edginess, but I find myself not particularly liking or caring about any of the characters.

I think he'll either get it working or (accidentally or on purpose) get the ship to call for help. A taxi ride back to Destiny might be a possibility, although the taxi drivers might not be the friendliest of folk!

I agree CE. I used to like the Col, but the totally senseless attacks these past two episodes have turned me away from him. He seems to be buckling under the pressures of his situation and lashing out at whomever gets in his way. Were I a soldier aboard the Destiny, I might consider fragging him...

A

andrew_t1000

Rush certainly has been left in a sticky situation!
The one thing I have been left wondering though is,

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED AFTER THE "LIFE" EPISODE?

I was expecting some kind of resolution!
I mean are there still bugs in the water?
Is LT still stuck on that planet in an alternate timeline?

I really like the show, it's a different twist not having McKay or Carter to save the day with a bit of brilliant engineering.
That dopey, pill head that topped himself did everyone a favour, saved someone doing it for him!
I really hope it returns next year!
With MGM in trouble it looks like more SG1 and the SG Atlantis movies might be in trouble.
Let's hope the strong sales of Stargate Ark Of Truth and Continuum convince someone to bankrole production.

D

davp99

40 mins of --Yawn-- then 2 mins of alright, Knock the snit out of him..

I'm amazed of how SlyFly can get away with producing such a Cheap version of the Stargate series. It has to be $$ Cost right, added with a Soap style writing classroom exercise ...that has this Show on the air.

Tell you guys the Truth, i don't really care about the bugs or Poor Poor writing anymore, cause i feel they will never give us the Answers...Just jerk us around and Hope & Pray we still watch..

And remember what Frag means StarRider, unless you meant it as a sexual responce :mrgreen:

Dave

S

StarRider1701

davp99":2rh38j1x said:
And remember what Frag means StarRider, unless you meant it as a sexual responce

I know exactly what frag means and it has nothing to do with sex! I suggested a soldier since the military personnel seem to be the only ones with access to the weapons.

The term began when a soldier, unhappy with with the leadership abilities (or lack of same) of his superior Officer, accidentally tossed a fragmentation (anti personnel) grenade into his tent one night. Very messy. The term has since evolved into a general term for a highly unofficial way to get rid of incompetent leadership.

I agree that so far it has been a cheap soap opera with interesting background scenery. Sad to say but $$$ plays a big role in the mix, the SciFi channel cancelled Stargate over an argument with MGM over 75 grand - an amount that seems like chump change in the entertainment industry.

D

davp99

StarRider1701 wrote "I know exactly what frag means and it has nothing to do with sex! I suggested a soldier since the military personnel seem to be the only ones with access to the weapons."

I was hoping that was you meant..it didn't really make sense the with the other meaning. When I was in the Army, Mid 70's especially during war games in the Mojave Desert, at ft Erwin, we used to just drop the tents on A**holes late at night, if we had a "disagreement" ..It was great !
and I heard of Friendly Fire toward Stupid or Loathsome Officers, But never heard of "Fragging em" ...must after my time...

But anyway's....I Just Wish they told us what the frag was that Ship that Zoomed away after the 3 ep..Talk about leaving us bits of crumbs..Oh well could be worse i quess, there could be No Sci Fi ....

Dave

S

StarRider1701

I was in the Air Force from '73 - '77. The above mentioned fragging incident happened in Vietnam, late 60's or early 70's, don't remember. But I thought the term caught on fairly quickly after that, at least in Military circles anyway...

S

StarRider1701

So what do you think will happen to Dr. Rush? Here's my take...

The Destiny is following another ship which is out there building stargates on livable(?) planets(Ancients must have set some criterion.) Dr. Rush does have his laptop if I recall. I think he might use the info on the gates they've gone to and figure out a gate address ahead of the Destiny. Goes there and waits...

That's probably what will happen. I would rather he finds a way to open the crashed ship, setting off a distress signal and the aliens that have been in the background lurking and following Destiny arrive and figure out he might be able to get them into the ship. The show definately needs more action and other enemies besides each other!!!

Y

yevaud

Actually, the term "Fragging" originated during Vietnam, in the mid-1960s.

Hey Dave: I "peeled" potatoes for the first and only time in the Army at Irwin.

S

StarRider1701

Ooops, I guess I was off a couple of years. Thanks Yev...
Actually, the story was still scuttlebutt (the military term for "urban legend," "back fence gossip" and "word on the street" all rolled into one) when I was in. Surprised Davp99 hadn't heard it since he was in around the same time I was.

Meanwhile, back to Dr. Rush. The second half of the first season continues in a few weeks. Any guesses what direction the show will take? Am I the only one who hopes it is not just more of the same soap opera?

Y

yevaud

Whatever they do, they really have to tone down the interpersonal intrigue angle and start to actually do more. Sitting on a dingy ship, plotting and wheedling against each other is getting really tired. So is the "let's visit Earth in someone else's body and reconcile with my loved ones" act.

M

Mee_n_Mac

I watched 1 episode and said ... "Elvis, errr, the writers have left the building". I think it's done .... dead .... pining for fjords. I predict something like the folllowing in the next few shows ...

fonzie-jumping-the-shark.jpg

S

StarRider1701

Hooo-kay? Cute picture and all, but what does Fonzie jumping a penned shark have to do with Stargate Universe?
Does it have something to do with the fact that Happy Days was going down hill fast when that episode was made?

Ok so you don't like the show. If it doesn't start getting better real fast, I'm not going to like it much longer myself. But SciFi is SciFi, man. Even when it's bad, its still SciFi. How many other options are there? When one is dying of thirst, even the most horrible of swill tastes like the finest Ambrosia! Until something better comes along...

Y

yevaud

StarRider1701":1nuip4c2 said:
Hooo-kay? Cute picture and all, but what does Fonzie jumping a penned shark have to do with Stargate Universe?
Does it have something to do with the fact that Happy Days was going down hill fast when that episode was made?

Just on the off chance that you aren't being sarcastic in asking that, yes - it's a Hollywood term, based on that very episode, that a show that has outlived itself has "Jumped the Shark."

And if you were being sarcastic, and knew this, then the only possible reply is, "ya think?"

S

StarRider1701

yevaud":3nvexquo said:
Just on the off chance that you aren't being sarcastic in asking that, yes - it's a Hollywood term, based on that very episode, that a show that has outlived itself has "Jumped the Shark."

Living in Ohio, I don't get to hang around the "Hollywood" types much. Thanks for the info...

Y

yevaud

Here in Boston, I have met and/or witnessed several of them in action - some good, some bad. Of those I've met over the years:

The best: Robert Urich.

The biggest Jerk: Tommy Lee Jones.

M

Mee_n_Mac

yevaud":39h5979c said:
Here in Boston, I have met and/or witnessed several of them in action - some good, some bad. Of those I've met over the years:

The biggest Jerk: Tommy Lee Jones.

yevaud":39h5979c said:

I met the Robert Urich once when they were shooting an episode of Spenser: For Hire in downtown Winchester. Seemed like a "regular guy".

And yes I think SGU has jumped the shark. I'd rather watch reruns of the other SG shows ... or even Star Trek ... any of them.

BTW have now tried 5x to post this post ... I'd rather watch SGU !

Y

yevaud

You met Urich too? Kewl. I actually spent a few minutes in a lobby here, caught on film as an inadvertent extra during the filming of Spenser.

I watched Jones berate a store department full of people with the "do you know who I am?!" routine. I mean literally that. He actually said that to them. And it was all about that he may have to wait in line - he felt he should bypass everyone in a line, because of who he was. The clerk and store manager disagreed, leading to his little "magic moment."

A

Alphastargazer

I find Stargate Universe an awesome concept, unfortunately the writers are trashing it with way too much soap opera melodrama.

Hey, they are exploring another galaxy, their ship in ancient beyand all imagination and all you writers can keep coming up with is who is in charge.

Hello, ship are ruled by a captain not a democracy. emergencies will happen and there won't be time for a debate and vote so dah. Figure it out. This isn't Galatica (old series)with multiple ships carrying the last of the civilization.

Get these people organized trying to fix/refurbish/understand this ship and its systems. Too complex to try and setup a class in ancient language reading 101, Ok, how about math boy writing up a reader software to do it for you and start having the civilians sifting and categorizing and the information in the database.

There should be enough nuggets in there for at least a gazillion episodes. How about discovering a few maintenance mech robots and repairng their severed power line to their recharging station and have them lead the civilians or others to the spare parts storage and start getting amazing new/ols systems back up and running.

An astro-lab on a starship that travels between galaxies seams to me like a reasonable assumption. I should think it should be a whopper!

Like come on writers, stop snorting things and get your heads out of your butts. The possibilities are endless and all you do is keep coming back to soaps.

S

StarRider1701

Alphastargazer":3liemivo said:
Like come on writers, stop snorting things and get your heads out of your butts. The possibilities are endless and all you do is keep coming back to soaps.

I agree. Now you know why they had to change the name from SciFi. Because none of their writers know how to write Science Fiction!

At least they do now have an external enemy, if they can get over fighting among themselves to notice! The problem is that even on Galactica there was a clear chain of command and once it was established, the military accepted the rule of the Civillian Council. On Destiny there are three strong people who are all used to being the leader and only one can be. That will always be a problem until the three of them can work it out...

N

nimbus

Another show where the characters are mind bendingly far away from familiar territory... only to tell the same stories as they would if they were still on Earth.

B

bdewoody

nimbus":245bk0j0 said:
Another show where the characters are mind bendingly far away from familiar territory... only to tell the same stories as they would if they were still on Earth.
Well unless they shift to a more Science Fantasy format it's likely that humans placed in that situation will carry all of their earth bound baggage with them. To me the weakest and worst feature of this new series is the communication stones. I agree they need to shape up into a functional crew with one captain. The problem with the three personalities vieing for control is they all have serious personality flaws and I think maybe the writers have painted themselves into a corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts