STOP SLS NOW

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
For many years, I have repeatedly asked NASA to end the Space Launch System (SLS) program funding immediately. Pick up all of the pieces - either junk them, put modules in museums or use the parts on other programs and reassign the 19,000 (whew!) workers to other programs. Enough is enough.

PLEASE MR. NELSON AND CONGRESS APPROPRIATION COMMITTEES: I KNOW IT WILL BE EMBARASSING TO ADMIT TO ALL ITS FAULTS: REPEATED DELAYS, EXCESSIVE COST OVERRUNS AND AN OBSOLETE PRODUCT BUT...IT'S BETTER THAN CONTINUING WASTING TAXPAPER MONEY...

NASA is not competing with commercial companies - they should work together. Redirect all unused monies to the commercial sector - whether it is SPACEX or any other notable firm. And I did not even mention yet other deficiencies such as lack of reusability. And can you imagine if one test flight fails to any degree - that would mean months and maybe years of other further delays.

SpaceX would just laugh - if even more than one of their units fails they would wheel out another serial-numbered booster and Starship in a matter of weeks.

So Mr. Nelson, please maybe privately talk to Mr. Musk and the other CEO's and ask them: "If I (and NASA) agree to end our SLS program, what can your guys do for me (us)? China and other nations are not so slowly catching up to us and if you can give us some new technology gains, then we will support you fully, I promise."

Last edited:
Reactions: monkeyonmars
Apr 16, 2021
Visit site
For many years, I have repeatedly asked NASA to end the Space Launch System (SLS) program funding immediately. Pick up all of the pieces - either junk them, put modules in museums or use the parts on other programs and reassign the 19,000 (whew!) workers to other programs. Enough is enough.

PLEASE MR. NELSON AND CONGRESS APPROPRIATION COMMITTEES: I KNOW IT WILL BE EMBARASSING TO ADMIT TO ALL ITS FAULTS: REPEATED DELAYS, EXCESSIVE COST OVERRUNS AND AN OBSOLETE PRODUCT BUT...IT'S BETTER THAN CONTINUING WASTING TAXPAPER MONEY...

NASA is not competing with commercial companies - they should work together. Redirect all unused monies to the commercial sector - whether it is SPACEX or any other notable firm. And I did not even mention yet other deficiencies such as lack of reusability. And can you imagine if one test flight fails to any degree - that would mean months and maybe years of other further delays.

SpaceX would just laugh - if even more than one of their units fails they would wheel out another serial-numbered booster and Starship in a matter of weeks.

So Mr. Nelson, please maybe privately talk to Mr. Musk and the other CEO's and ask them: "If I (and NASA) agree to end our SLS program, what can your guys do for me (us)? China and other nations are not so slowly catching up to us and if you can give us some new technology gains, then we will support you fully, I promise."
Ha, I am afraid you are WAY TOO LATE!!!
Save your breath. The cows have left the barn

Clive

May 11, 2021
Visit site
The thing you have to remember is that SLS is a congressionally mandated jobs creation program (NASA are just following instructions). It doesn't matter if it never flies just let the pork flow! Everything can continue until some billionaire makes the whole endeavor just look kind of lame and ridiculous and causes massive political embarrassment. But it's going to take a few years as politicians have turned the ability to grandstand, arm wave and generally ignore issues into an art form.

Reactions: theglassisempty

Latest posts