STS-130/(20A) Mission Thread

Page 10 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EarthlingX

Touchdown STS-130-13:18:06:30

sts13013180630.jpg

ok, my clock is 6 sec off ..

E

EarthlingX

NASA Web site":3seulm28 said:
Endeavour Lands at Kennedy Space Center
Mon, 22 Feb 2010 03:23:02 AM GMT

Space shuttle Endeavour landed at Kennedy Space Center. A post-landing news conference with managers at Kennedy is expected no earlier than midnight ET on NASA TV and http://www.nasa.gov/ntv. The participants will be: Mike Moses, space shuttle launch integration manager, and Mike Leinbach, shuttle launch director.

A welcome ceremony for the crew's return to Houston will be held at Ellington Field's NASA Hangar 990 at 4 p.m. CT on Monday.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2dJiFv-R28[/youtube]

NASA Web site":3seulm28 said:
Crew Transport Vehicle in Place
Mon, 22 Feb 2010 04:04:43 AM GMT

The Crew Transport Vehicle was moved into position at Endeavour's hatch. The CTV contains beds and comfortable seats so that the astronauts can relax while they receive a brief medical checkup before stepping onto the tarmac.

C

CalliArcale

Awesome -- the view out the HUD was quite pretty on NASA TV. Watch the replay here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2dJiFv-R28[/youtube]

Question: as it rolled out, I noticed a flashing light by the base of the vertical stabilizer, just forward of the stabilizer. I was puzzled, as I didn't think it had a nav light there, and it didn't seem to be flashing regularly enough. There was also, oddly, a rushing sound on the video recording in synch with the flashes. After wheel stop, it became apparent that it was a flame. The commentator did not mention it, so I can only assume that this was something normal which I simply haven't noticed on previous landings. Would that be venting of excess hypergolic propellant, perhaps?

Z

Zipi

Shorter version of ISS Flyaround from reelNASA:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmWlftaQFP8[/youtube]

N

nimbus

The nose down approach is still as awesome to see as ever, even after seeing it so many times..

The vstab light does look like a flame.

E

EarthlingX

NASA Web site":ng0vuk3j said:
Mission Managers Praise Flawless Mission
Mon, 22 Feb 2010 06:22:42 AM GMT

Shuttle Launch Integration Manager Mike Moses said that space shuttle Endeavour's landing capped off a flawless mission. "The crew did an outstanding job," Moses said, referring to the complex task of installing Tranquility and its seven-windowed cupola to the International Space Station. "The landing today went as smooth as you can hope for -- by the numbers."

Moses wrapped up his remarks about the STS-130 mission by saying, "It was an outstanding mission -- I can't be happier with the success we had and look forward to repeating that on our next mission."

Shuttle Launch Director Mike Leinbach was extremely pleased with Endeavour's condition."One of the most magical things we get to do here at Kennedy Space Center is walk around the orbiter after a mission from space. She looks really, really good," Leinbach said.

Leinbach also congratulated Norm Knight and his team in the Mission Control Center at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston for a job well done.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaB-J2dRmj4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bumZc8M08Lc[/youtube]

Space Shuttle Endeavour Lands Safely in Florida
Robert Z. Pearlman":ng0vuk3j said:
posted: 21 February 2010
10:20 pm ET

This story was updated at 11:16 p.m. ET.

HOUSTON - Space shuttle Endeavour touched down safely in Florida Sunday evening, beating a stormy weather forecast after delivering NASA's last major additions to the International Space Station (ISS).

M

MeteorWayne

IIRC, the flame and noise is from the APUs, but I'm not sure. I am quite sure shuttle_guy or testing will know. :)

C

CalliArcale

Cool! I like learning stuff like that about the Shuttle. ;) It's such a beautiful bird, and I will miss it when it retires.

Thank you all so much for the updates. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the links Zipi, great stuff indeed. :cool:

I think you all have to agree, this shot from the Cupola on ISS of Endeavour making an S Turn during re entry over the night side of Earth is awesome. I dunno if a spacecraft has ever been imaged from above during re-entry??

The first night time shot from the Cupola. I can imagine night time thunderstorms, city lights, oilwells, Astronomy, etc being popular Cupola 45 minute night time activities.
STS13014.jpg

Whilst I know that STS 130 Endeavour was the last scheduled night time launch, does anyone know if any of the remaining four Shuttle Missions land at night?

I know that STS 132 Atlantis is an afternoon launch, I am hoping to be there!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Great to see that Endeavour is down safely. Given the naff prospects of weather at The Cape at landing time when I went to sleep, see that the weather did improve enough to allow for the landing.
STS13016.jpg

Andrew Brown.

Zipi has already got me trawling through the fantastic images link. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This one is from the Cupola on Flight Day 10.

Coast of Algeria, between Dellys & Algiers, the Algerian capital. The deep blue of the Mediterranean is apparent as are the Atlas Mountains inland with a touch of snow visible on a few on the right.
STS13017CoastofAlgeriafromISSCupola.jpg

Full Resolution Image

Andrew Brown.

Thank you very much Zipi. Will take some time to go through it. :mrgreen:

Waxing Crescent Moon on Saturday 20th February 2010 as seen from Endeavour after ISS undocking.
s130e010922CrescentMoon20February20.jpg

Andrew Brown.

OMG look at this. :shock: :shock: Thank you so very much Zipi. :mrgreen:

Moonrise from orbit at an altitude of 354 KM over Australia from ISS Cupola side window.
MoonriseoverAustraliaCupolaSTS130En.jpg

Andrew Brown.

T

Testing

Night landing?

How reliable is Florida weather? How many times did SG come out here and have to work?
A toss of the dice! GR

N

newsartist

CalliArcale":3esrf6st said:
Cool! I like learning stuff like that about the Shuttle. ;) It's such a beautiful bird, and I will miss it when it retires.

Quite right Calli!

That APU flaring is present on every flight, but the camera that showed it in color, at night, was new to me this time. It is humorous that the most advanced flying machine ever made sounds like a steam locomotive!

The APUs exhaust through small ports near the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer.

E

EarthlingX

I tried making a selection of shots, but i got to 15 even before they were at the station .. :? :cry:

Enough from me in this thread, anyway ... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS