STS-130 Pre Launch Discussion

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

roocnu

Shuttle guy,
I wish you a speedy recovery. I hope that you are taking it easy at the moment, and this is really one of those moments when I hope you have a safe, happy and healthy 2010.
Katrina

Unfortunately I will not be able to support all of Kay' second flight processing. I have some news from my doctors that I need to have my aortic valve replaced. The operation is Jan 6th and I will be out on recovery from that procedure for 7 weeks or so. Atleast they agreed to hold off on the operation until after the holidays. I just have to take it easy until then.[/quote]

D

davp99

valve replacement

Good Luck SG/dave

I had the small Mitral heart valve replaced in 2008, they replaced my leaky one with a St. Jude mechanical model 29MJ-501.. I Know exactly what you will be going thru, Open heart Surgery is a Tough one..But just take each day at a time, rest, and they will have you up & around in no time..well about 2 weeks or so... The only thing about Mech vs Pig valves is Coumadin for the rest of your life, but they last almost forever vs every 10 yrs or so with pig ones...but with no blood thinners, I took the one shot deal and so far No Problems..

Again Everyone is Wishing You The best !

Dave

S

shuttle_guy

Re: valve replacement

davp99":1s9qswft said:
Good Luck SG/dave

I had the small Mitral heart valve replaced in 2008, they replaced my leaky one with a St. Jude mechanical model 29MJ-501.. I Know exactly what you will be going thru, Open heart Surgery is a Tough one..But just take each day at a time, rest, and they will have you up & around in no time..well about 2 weeks or so... The only thing about Mech vs Pig valves is Coumadin for the rest of your life, but they last almost forever vs every 10 yrs or so with pig ones...but with no blood thinners, I took the one shot deal and so far No Problems..

Again Everyone is Wishing You The best !

Dave

I know about the Coumadin, however there is a new drug coming out in 6 months ro so which is safer with constant monitoring of your blood. It is Pradaxa and is easier on the liver.

Katrina, thank you. My wife keeps me in check. I went to the airport today to take my Para Plane (a Pegasus (861SG))out and she refused to let me slide the hanger door open and pull it out. She did it herself. (my N number: 861 is one of the KSC telephone pre fixes and SG stands for Shuttle Guy). Check it out at http://flightaware.com/photos/view/1686 ... 61SG%3bo=0

The roll out of STS-130 is still set for this wednesday.

E

earth_bound_misfit

We'll be thinking of you SG. Here's to two successful operations coming up (your op and STS130).
Best wishes EBM

P

Par72

Be well SG.

You've got a group of friends here waiting for your healthy return.

Z

Zipi

Endeavour's rollout to the pad ongoing, live video stream:

http://www.livestream.com/spaceflightnow

It started about 25min ago and expected to last 6 hours. Live updates from:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/s ... tatus.html

153212main_rollout_1_425.jpg

Last edit: Endeavour is now at launch pad.

G

GrandpaTo3

Why roll out so early? The freezing temps. could harm those gaskets and make them slightly brittle
and compremize the flexibilty or their usefullness. Remember the last time a gasket failed!!!
We should not take the slightess risk at this time. I can only hope and pray N.A.S.A. will
inspect those critical gaskets thourghly before launch PLEASE!!!

M

MeteorWayne

There's a lot of work to be done to get the shuttle ready for launch, it's typically done a few weeks in advance. As far as the SRB gaskets, they only issue is the temperature on launch day, and they also have heaters in the joints now.

Welcome to Space.com!

MW (GrandpaTo2) :)

G

Gravity_Ray

Only 30 days until there is a cupola on the ISS. :D

Can’t wait to see those shutters open for the first time in high def. man that will be a sight to see. Remember way back when all we had were those artist renditions of the station?

S

scottb50

Gravity_Ray":1xhgm4yh said:
Only 30 days until there is a cupola on the ISS. :D

Can’t wait to see those shutters open for the first time in high def. man that will be a sight to see. Remember way back when all we had were those artist renditions of the station?

Definitely something to look forward to.

M

MeteorWayne

"Space station engineers and managers plan to discuss the issue in more detail Tuesday. " (from spaceflightnow)

T

Testing

Zipi said:
Problems with Tranquility's cooling lines.

Exactly the type of doodoo that happens when you proof and qual. Better on the ground.

S

scottb50

Testing":1y8m1a0a said:
Zipi":1y8m1a0a said:
Problems with Tranquility's cooling lines.

Exactly the type of doodoo that happens when you proof and qual. Better on the ground.

I would go with worrying about problems later. The ride is what counts, a lot of things may need fixing over a number of years.

E

earth_bound_misfit

Aw crapola. Sorry couldn't help myself :D Hopefully it will get fixed up in time.
Anyone know why they changed the position of it (from the Earth facing side) to the "left" side?

Z

Zipi

earth_bound_misfit":154zhioy said:
Anyone know why they changed the position of it (from the Earth facing side) to the "left" side?

I would also like to know the reason for this. It cannot be any new clearance issue since everything is going as planned and MRM-1 will be flown with STS-132. Maybe this configuration provides better mass center point so gyros can work more efficiently and the microgravity environment stays clearer?

Actually if we are thinking of clearance matters of this configuration, the PMA-3 will be useless for the shuttle docking after MRM-1 is in place. However if current plans hold the PMAs are not needed very long and they will be probably docked to the Tranquility module and used as storage space. If this is the case, probably the permanent logistics module will be moved to where PMA-3 is currently. New LIDS docking system will be launched with HTV and docked to the front port of the station where PMA-2 currently resides. If my knowledge is correct NASA has decided not to create PMA-LIDS adapter, instead they will do CBM-LIDS adapter which is really a common sense. Why to create a new adapter for existing adapter?

But still the question why to change Tranquility's location exists... If someone knows, the information would be highly appreciated. Of course I will try to dig this out by myself as well, so let's see. ;)

B

bushwhacker

i saw a story earlier that the ammonia coolant lines wouldn't align. so they had to change the placement

Z

Zipi

bushwhacker":2q5t7z7h said:
i saw a story earlier that the ammonia coolant lines wouldn't align. so they had to change the placement

The lines have been originally designed so that Tranquility is placed where PMA-3 is nowadays. PMA-3 were supposed to move to Tranquility's earth facing port. Now when they decided to move it left side, they have to realign those ammonia lines which is why this problem exists. If they would have placed tranquility as originally planned they wouldn't have this problem.

erioladastra would probably have all the answers for us... So let's hope he will enlighten us. ;)

M

MarkStanaway

There is already a thread discussing the changing in position of the Tranquility node that was started last November one page ago.
Mark

R

roocnu

Apparently the Boeing engineers and NASA managers had a meeting about the ammonia line issue today - I wonder when we'll hear the results of that meeting, and if Endeavour is still slated for the Feb 7 launch day?

Katrina

Z

Zipi

We will see some robotics work at Saturday for preparations of Tranquility's arrival:

To clear the way for the installation of Tranquility, Creamer and Williams will use the Canadarm2 robotic arm on Saturday to relocate Pressurized Mating Adapter-3, currently attached to the port side of the Unity node, to the space-facing side of the Harmony node.
More from: http://www.nasa.gov/station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts