sun filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sorbert

I just ordered a new xt10 to replace a skywatcher 120eq which got messed up in a move. I was wondering if those sun filters if i deside to get one to look through the xt10 are worth seeing the sun or not. i just think it be nice to see some flares and spots if its possible with one.<br /><br />Brian

C

CalliArcale

If you're lucky, you can actually see a flare through those kinds of filters, and without any additional special filters, but it has to be one on the limb of the Sun and you have to have really good eyes. Normally even filtered the Sun's bright enough to wash them out!<br /><br />I looked into buying a hydrogen-alpha filter once. They are indeed spendy; I saw ones costing four figures! I understand Calcium filters are also useful. I haven't priced those. I do, however, have a full-apeture solar filter and I am happy with it. It's fun to watch sunspots! Also, if you can get it timed right, you might be able to see the ISS transit the Sun; I've seen two pictures people took (planning carefully ahead of time) of the ISS in front of the Sun's disk. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

S

sorbert

K thx for the info once i pay the telescope off ill probley get one when i got the money

J

jcdenton

You can see sun spots through the regular white light filters but flares need H-alpha filters. The cheapest one available is the Coronado PST, which is actually a standalone telescope. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts