Sun-synchronous orbit spacecraft

Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
Have you ever heard about Sun-synchronous orbit spacecrafts? According to the information I`ve found such name have weather satellites and some kind of scientific satellites. Also, I`ve heard that there are not only weather satellites and scientific satellites that are used in Sun-synchronous orbit. Do you know which kind of sats or maybe other spacecrafts are used for Sun-synchronous orbit?

The Sun's rotation rate at the equator is ~25 days, but the rate varies with latitude thereafter.

So, using Kepler equations, to hover with a spacecraft would require it to be about 25 million km above the surface. But the radiation there is about 36x more than here at Earth, so you would need to have something that could take the radiation punishment, and more importantly, have a way to radiate away all that heat.

Parker (fairly new probe) dips very close to this distance from its orbit but it can't stay there very long, AFAIK.

Reactions: Catastrophe
Mar 6, 2021
Visit site
Have you ever heard about Sun-synchronous orbit spacecrafts? According to the information I`ve found such name have weather satellites and some kind of scientific satellites. Also, I`ve heard that there are not only weather satellites and scientific satellites that are used in Sun-synchronous orbit. Do you know which kind of sats or maybe other spacecrafts are used for Sun-synchronous orbit?
Satellites on sun-synchronous orbits transit every day at the same hour over the same area and with the same light conditions. That's perfect for every kind of ground observations and monitoring, not only for weather conditions or other scientific purposes, but also for spying campaigns…

Reactions: Slarty1080
Oct 23, 2020
Visit site
I found an article about one of Sun-synchronous orbit spacecraft . It`s called XL rocket This is a three-stage light class launch vechicle. It is intended for placing pay loads into Sun-Synchronous Orbit over range of 500 km altitude. As far as I know this type of rocket deliver space weather satellites or satellites related to Earth observation.

Reactions: CCooper96
Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
You mentioned that satellites can be launched into Sun-synchronous orbit. What about CubeSats? Can they be used for this purpose. I know one South African space endeavor that manufactures CubeSats and smallsats imagers, and I wonder what if we launch such a satellite to SSO for observations? Get more information about the manufacturer here and tell me what do you think about it.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Here are some more:

Polar and Sun-synchronous orbit - ESA
http://www.esa.int › Images › 2020/03 › Polar_and_Su...

Sun-synchronous orbit (SSO) is a particular kind of polar orbit. Satellites in SSO, travelling over the polar regions, are synchronous with the Sun. This means ...

ESA - Types of orbits - European Space Agency
http://www.esa.int › Space_Transportation › Types_of_...

Polar orbit and Sun-synchronous orbit (SSO) — Sun-synchronous orbit (SSO) is a particular kind of polar orbit. Satellites in SSO, travelling ...

Sun-synchronous — Science Learning Hub
https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz › videos › 1231-sun-sy...

A Sun-synchronous orbitmatches the rate at which the Earth goes around the Sun. It is a low-Earth orbit ...
27 Mar 2013

Cat :)

Reactions: CCooper96

Latest posts