Sunshine (2007)

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

serak_the_preparer

This movie was just recently brought to my attention. Anyone else know anything about it? This is what I've found so far:<br /><br /><br />Danny Boyle's Sunshine (Adam SMASH!)<br /><br /><i>This movie is gonna be AWESOME. It sort of reminds me of a more action packed “Solaris†or something like that. Danny Boyle’s Sunshine looks beautiful. That’s the only word to describe it. Story might be pretty good also, which is a plus.<br /><br />Synopsis:<br /><br />The Sun is dying, and mankind is dying with it. Our last hope: a spaceship and a crew of eight men and women. They carry a device which will breathe new life into the star. But deep into their voyage, out of radio contact with Earth, their mission is starting to unravel. Soon the crew are fighting not only for their lives, but their sanity....</i><br /><br /><br />Sunshine (2007) - Trivia (imdb)<br /><br /><i>* The plot does not revolve around the sun dying in the normal sense: this is not due for around five billion years based on our understanding of nuclear fusion. It has instead been "infected" with a "Q-ball" - a supersymmetric nucleus, left over from the big bang - that is disrupting the normal matter. This is a theoretical particle that scientists at CERN are currently trying to confirm, and was one of the many contributions of the science advisor. The film's bomb is meant to blast the Q-ball to its constituent parts which will then naturally decay, allowing the sun to return to normal.<br /><br />* Alex Garland wrote the film as a "love letter" to psychologically-minded science-fiction, and also a film about atheism and "meeting God"....</i><br /><br /><br />Check out Fox Searchlight's flipbook for the movie here: Phot

D

derekmcd

It been brought up here before. The reviews i've read don't hold my hopes too high for it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

F

flynn

Absolutely loved it. You will have to turn off the Physics part of your brain for a little but its worth it.<br /><br />Compare it to most Science Fiction and its close enough anyway, as I've said before this movie is worth every penny for the soundtrack and visuals alone. Watch it now. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

M

Mee_n_Mac

I hope it's better than this bomb, <i>Solar Crisis</i> (from the IMDb). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-----------------------------------------------------</p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask not what your Forum Software can do do on you,</font></p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask it to, please for the love of all that's Holy, <strong>STOP</strong> !</font></p> </div>

S

serak_the_preparer

Flynn, it's good to read that a negative take on <i>Sunshine</i> is not a universal experience. Thanks. After checking out Sunshine - BAD SCIFI - a warning to all rational people, I must admit I was worried. And still am. But I will it least give it a chance when it eventually finds its way across the Atlantic.<br /><br />A requirement to lean on the 'suspension of disbelief' button could be a problem. On the other hand, it may be worth noting that it's not a problem so far for 88% of reviewers sampled on Rotten Tomatoes. I suppose the worrisome thing for me at this point is that I wonder how much science is valued and understood by people writing reviews in a technological/informational age. That doesn't make me worry about the movie, so much as it makes me worry about the future of our civilization.<br /><br />Like Carolyn (cited on the afore-mentioned thread), my typical sci-fi experience in the theater involves generous amounts of willing disbelief. And a certain amount of forgiveness. Otherwise, I would probably only be able to watch about two science fiction movies, and life is just too short. Confessing right up front that, yeah, I loved <i>Star Wars</i> when it first came out. <i>Star Wars</i> is a good example, since the truth is that I've come to regard many sci-fi movies as fantasy movies masquerading as sci-fi. Which is fine with me. A good fantasy is a good fantasy, and escapist fare can be fine and good.<br /><br />Was <i>Alien</i> good science fiction? With the usual qualifiers in place, I would give it a pass. Certainly had its share of holes - science, plot and otherwise. But it was a damned good horror/fantasy flick and I still love it. Yet some people were pretty PO'ed when the 1985-1986 season of <i>Dallas</i> and the entire series of <i>St. Elsewhere</i> turned ou

C

chriscdc

I liked it. The physics was tolerable in every part which didn't relate to the overall plot. Even so I did enjoy it and it gave a similar sense of awe as 2001, which is something that has been sorely overlooked in films.

F

flynn

When I came out of Pirates 3 the other week apart from my very sore butt my two biggest moans were 1) Why'd they turn Keira Knightly into Braveheart and 2) Ships really don't drive around the sea like cars in a carpark. Whilst I do think number 2 can be levelled squarely at Sunshine they is enough going on accept a few things wrong. To be honest whilst I was watching the film I was so caught up in the story I didn't notice too much wrong ("Parking" at Mercury did bug me a bit though). It was afterwards I started to ask questions of the film.<br /><br />I still stand by the Visuals and Sound track make this film well worth watching. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

D

derekmcd

Second Toughest and Beaucoup Fish are a couple of my favorites. Knowing Underworld is composing the soundtrack has picqued my interest. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

S

serak_the_preparer

On reflection, that rambling previous post of mine may not make a lot of sense. Was trying to say that we humans are plenty fallible - when making movies, and also when on dangerous missions. Maybe this movie just takes a doomed voyage into the abyss of the soul - like the voyage of a certain Ancient Mariner - out into space?<br /><br />Thanks to you and Flynn for your reviews. I think I'll give this one a chance.

D

derekmcd

I watched it the other night. I was really engrossed through the first 2/3rd... but it tailed off. So much potential it had. Definately worth the watch, but don't expect 2001 as some have tried to compare it to.<br /><br />As for the physics, easy to overlook as the story and the human element is far more important. It was easy to ignore... at least till the end. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

S

serak_the_preparer

I'm going to follow my own advice and relate to this movie as fantasy rather than science fiction. And I'm going to be as forgiving as I can be, as it looks like this will be Boyle's only sci-fi effort.<br /><br />Flynn's review, ChrisCDC's, and now yours have got me intrigued. Yes, I like the straight up laser-blasters-and-Orion-slave-girls science fiction. But I also like the other stuff - like: <i>Metropolis</i>; <i>The Incredible Shrinking Man</i>; <i>The World, the Flesh and the Devil</i>; <i>On the Beach</i>; <i>Alphaville</i>; <i>Quatermass and the Pit</i>; <i>Colossus: The Forbin Project</i>; <i>Twelve Monkeys</i>; <i>Gattaca</i>; <i>Donnie Darko</i>; <i>Solaris</i>. To name a few. It's okay if the science takes a backseat to the story.<br /><br />Found another Uplink thread on this movie, by the way:<br /><br />SunShine - Webchat with Danny Boyle

F

flynn

Yeah, that was one of mine, Danny Boyle can do no wrong by me now I know his feelings about Micheal Bay <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts