If we found a tear in the space time continuum would it be fair to say dark matter might collect in it? Thanks

My thinking - dark matter (DM) is not defined as to what it is (many suggestions though), thus we do not see DM on the Periodic Table of the Elements today. Tears in the space time continuum suggest we can see through to some other universe, perhaps a mutliverse that is looking back at us on Earth too. So far, I do not see telescope reports or radio astronomy reports showing another universe peering through a tear in our universe but you did ask the what if type of question here. Yesterday evening, I used my telescope and observed the close conjunction of Venus and Jupiter shortly after sunset and the asteroid, 4 Vesta in Cetus. When it comes to tears in space and time opening another universe - I look for evidence like I described viewing the solar system last night.

Vaz

Jan 5, 2020
Visit site
We'd first have to prove the existence of dark matter itself, before we even get into the realm of determining what a space-time continuum could be, let alone prove something like that could even exist. As such, we have only a fair belief that dark matter exists, based on our observations, but even then, that's not to say that it's dark matter itself - it could be something completely different.

Jan 10, 2020
Visit site
If we found a tear in the space time continuum would it be fair to say dark matter might collect in it? Thanks

Spacetime can not "tear". The whole "fabric" thing is a somewhat poor metaphor. Space is space, its just emptiness. That it has a manifold geometry associated with the spacetime metric is besides the point.

So no because
1) You cant "tear"the spacetime manifold, and
2) If somehow you did, since there is no space inside the tear nothing can "accumulate" there.

Reactions: Alucard
Hypothesizing upon the notion of a tear in the spacetime continuum assumes that you can either separate time and space or that the existence of spacetime is subject to 'potholes' of nonexistence. Dark Matter can only be defined within the existence of spacetime, so I would not espouse to the dark matter outside the existence of spacetime.

IIRC, some scientists explain the great feebleness of gravity, compared to any other force (e.g. nuclear force), as something that leaks into our universe weakly. A tear might let it pour, and if matter is nearby it would reveal it.

Yes, DM is more than plausible. There are multiple lines of evidence supporting its presence. The DM imaging, for instance, of the Bullet Cluster is impressive.

Latest posts