Telescopes suggestion??

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PR_Chicano

Hi,  I have a celestron Powerseeker 114 EQ telescope currently.  I wanna get another one though.  Its too heavy to carry around.  So i need suggestions on which ones to buy.  Any suggestions anybody??  Is there anything out there thats cheap, powerful, and lightweight? what kinda telescope do you have?

A

adrenalynn

<p>Hi PR_C!&nbsp; Welcome to the forum!</p><p>&nbsp;The Powerseeker 114 EQ lists a shipping weight of 19lbs.&nbsp; That's an absolute feather-weight, and I suspect you won't have much luck finding anything worth looking through that weighs less.&nbsp; </p><p>Have you considered binoculars?</p><p>My lightest scope is a NexStar 6, with the tripod it weighs in a little over twice that.</p><p>You'll generally be able to compare weight to usefulness directly.&nbsp; A 300lb scope will be better than a 40lb scope - as long as you'll take it out and use it.&nbsp; Hence the reason I suggest binoculars.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

C

crazyeddie

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Hi,&nbsp; I have a celestron Powerseeker 114 EQ telescope currently.&nbsp; I wanna get another one though.&nbsp; Its too heavy to carry around.&nbsp; So i need suggestions on which ones to buy.&nbsp; Any suggestions anybody??&nbsp; Is there anything out there thats <span style="font-weight:bold" class="Apple-style-span">cheap, powerful, and lightweight?</span>&nbsp; Posted by PR_Chicano</DIV></p><p>What you are asking for is the Holy Grail of Telescopes. &nbsp;You can find cheap and lightweight scopes....that's what you now own. &nbsp;You can find lightweight and powerful scopes, but they are not cheap. &nbsp;I might recommend this new Starblast 6 scope from Orion:</p><p>http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=dobsonians/~pcategory=telescopes/~product_id=09964</p><p>....which weighs 23.5 pounds and is relatively compact. &nbsp;It would be a step up in performance from what you currently have, and it has received a great review in <span style="font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">Sky and Telescope</span> magazine.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

adrenalynn

Since he stated he wants to replace it because it's too heavy, not due to performance, I figured going for something half again the weight might not be the best suggestion. ;) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

C

crazyeddie

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Since he stated he wants to replace it because it's too heavy, not due to performance, I figured going for something half again the weight might not be the best suggestion. ;) <br /> Posted by adrenalynn</DIV></p><p>Well, he did say he wanted something "powerful", which usually requires a step up in aperture. &nbsp;He won't find anything cheaper, lighter, and more powerful than what he currently has, so if he wants lighter, it can't be "powerful". &nbsp;He could go with an Orion 4.5" Starblast, which weighs only 13 pounds, but it would not be "powerful". &nbsp;In other words, he's asking for something that doesn't exist.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

adrenalynn

Agreed.&nbsp; Binoculars.&nbsp; Done.&nbsp; :) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts