Terminator: Salvation ???

• Thread starter FictionBecomesFact
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FictionBecomesFact

Why hasn't Terminator: Salvation done even better at the box office?
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id ... vation.htm
Weeks after its release, it has barely made over half of its $200 million dollar production budget back. It is my understanding that cinema owners keep a substantial chunk of ticket sales revenues, too.
I saw the original trilogy (always during opening weekend) and enjoyed them all. I saw the latest installment today, and enjoyed it very much too. It's well done, and not at all tedious in terms of plot, either.
:? Perhaps despite the success of the Sarah Connor Chronicles, fans have been somewhat reluctant to see the latest sequel because of what they've fairly recently learned of main actor Christian Bale's temperment?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INeDYTdTgfU&feature=fvw
Although his tantrum leads won to wonder how some folks can seriously base their voting decisions on what Hollywood celebrities recommend, there are parts of the movie that are so intense that it's easy to understand how Christian got as ferociously intense on the set as he does in the movie. And in real life, I don't doubt that he endured his share of treatment like that along the way to the top, either. Hopefully he's learned that what comes around shouldn't go around.

Either way, if you wonder whether I recommend seeing this movie on the big screen, I do indeed. :cool: And I think they did an intelligent job of handling the fact that the original Terminator is now the Governator, too.

R

robotical

The negative critical response (33% on Rotten Tomatoes) probably isn't helping. That and I don't think McG is exactly one of the more respected directors.

F

FictionBecomesFact

I have noticed at the abovementioned link that Terminator Salvation is doing quite well overseas, and gaining momentum. I think it's worth looking back at domestic vs. foreign revenues for Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, here:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=terminator3.htm

Both T4 and T3 cost $200 million to make. In light of the trends that T3 demonstrated, it would seem that T4 will nearly make its money back overseas and then some more, still, once franchising is underway. Games, toys, DVD's, cable royalties, you name it...

I wonder if there should be a Terminator 5 though?

V

vidargander

I just saw the movie and was rather pleased. I can understand if people choose dvd bluray when it provides 40 minutes more and an alternative ending.

I am a little disappointed in the lack of originality though.
I think they have used these ideas:
- The giant human harvester – War of the worlds.
- The self-unaware robot – Battlestar galactica
- Terminator Androids – Star Trek Borgs
- Machine Domination - Matrix

I wonder why radioactivity seems to be ‘no problemo’ to the Resistance, though.

N

nimbus

The most disappointing part for me was the very corny Skynet brain room scene, with its human interface.

H

Hikrguy

I think if the governator (Arnold) were in the movie it would have done better. Arnold was a big part of the draw in the original trilogy. Cast changes tend to hurt series. It also doesn't help that the movie got poor reviews.

A

adamsantiago

Hikrguy":7gntr0y2 said:
I think if the governator (Arnold) were in the movie it would have done better. Arnold was a big part of the draw in the original trilogy. Cast changes tend to hurt series. It also doesn't help that the movie got poor reviews.

I thought the CGI "Ahnald" was convincing enough :) And from having seen him lately, the only thing he would be beating the crap out of would be a donut.

Status
Not open for further replies.