Terraforming -- Jovian and Saturian moons

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Solifugae

MeteorWayne":1ezlbwj2 said:
Since we are nowhere near ZPG, that's really a moot point, isn't it?

China, the world's most populous country, is getting near. Wikipedia gives an estimated date of 2030.

K

kelvinzero

To quote the only homicidal mathematician I have personally ever heard of:

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

A

Astro_Robert

poor HAL was just confused and driven crazy by the mission managers, and not intentionally homicidal. I am certain that HAL's lawyer could put up a strong insanity defence on this point.

To get back to the subject at hand, I also come down on the side of using other bodiesin more of a 3D sense than crashing them around trying to create a single or even a few utopias. A Cere's size body (for Example) could provide living area, comparable to Earth's surface, if we had the patience to excavate large shells within it at various depths, sort of like an onion.

Even a modest sized dwarf planet could represent more living area than a continent if used in such a manner. Now as to how long it would take to make such excatavions, well that is another story.

S

StarRider1701

Astro_Robert":3gcf0q6a said:
To get back to the subject at hand, I also come down on the side of using other bodiesin more of a 3D sense than crashing them around trying to create a single or even a few utopias. A Cere's size body (for Example) could provide living area, comparable to Earth's surface, if we had the patience to excavate large shells within it at various depths, sort of like an onion.

Even a modest sized dwarf planet could represent more living area than a continent if used in such a manner. Now as to how long it would take to make such excatavions, well that is another story.

How about living just beneath the ice in a bubble of air between the water and the ice of an Ice Moon such as Europa? How much living space would one have there if utilized optimally? One would only need one tunnel, from the surface through the thick ice to the water beneath. I think that might be a neat place to live within our solar system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts