Terraforming Luna

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kg

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;....Who want's to go into the bussines with me? We just need the guy who is expert on low energy transfers, so we do not get killed by fuel costs. <br />Posted by flameholder</DIV></p><p>You might be on to something.&nbsp; How much more&nbsp;efficient would it be to ship&nbsp;bulk items&nbsp;to the earth from the moon compared to say loading containers onto ships in Asia, shipping them across the ocean, unloading, reloading onto rail roads then onto trucks.&nbsp;&nbsp;From&nbsp;the moon you could launch goods from the surface and in only a few days drop them directly onto whatever city you want anywhere in the world!&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>

S

stupidlaminatedrock

<p>W aste of time.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Venus is the only planet worth terraforming. if nothing else, Venus has several mountain ranges. Believe it or not, on top of those mountains the temperate is not as hot and the pressure is 1:1.&nbsp;The&nbsp;average temperature&nbsp;on some of these peaks&nbsp;is only 100f-200f degree's. Thats hot as hell, but a dome can wether it.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Hypothetically, Some&nbsp;type of technology used to combat global warming hear on earth will be set up with a&nbsp;factory on top dantes volcanus. And&nbsp;somehow begin reversing the greenhouse effect</p>

T

tampaDreamer

<p>It seems to me that the #1 unsolvable problem for terraforming advocates is a magnetic field.&nbsp; Either the planet has it, or it doesn't.&nbsp; Earth does, mars and luna do not.&nbsp; Does Venus have one?</p><p>&nbsp;Also, probably a dumb question, but would cooling venus' atmosphere to 60F cause the core to cool (over 10k+ years) and stop spinning?&nbsp; Seems unlikely to, but thought I'd ask.</p><p>The bit about putting a disk between venus and the sun to cool it off seems silly at first, but then consider that if you have self-replicating nano-tech taht does nothing but replicate and put itself in the right formation, you can launch the "spark" and to an asteroid and direct that asteroid via very low impulse drives into the right orbit around the sun.&nbsp; Then trigger the nanotech and watch your disk build itself.&nbsp; Difficult, but not really that farfetched?&nbsp; Big question would seem to be given how far you would need to be from venus to orbit the sun and not venus, what total mass of disk would be required to dampen the sun an appreciable amount?&nbsp; Then figure the mass of a large asteroid and the likely % of usable material within that asteroid.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

crazyeddie

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>It seems to me that the #1 unsolvable problem for terraforming advocates is a magnetic field.&nbsp; Either the planet has it, or it doesn't.&nbsp; Earth does, mars and luna do not.&nbsp; Does Venus have one? </DIV></p><p>No, Venus does not have a significant magnetic field. &nbsp;Yet it manages to hold on to a sizable atmosphere. &nbsp;I don't view a strong magnetic field as a prerequisite for terraforming, since a thick atmosphere can provide most of the benefits of protection against solar and cosmic radiation.</p><p>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Also, probably a dumb question, but would cooling venus' atmosphere to 60F cause the core to cool (over 10k+ years) and stop spinning?&nbsp; Seems unlikely to, but thought I'd ask.</DIV></p><p>I can think of no reason why cooling the atmosphere would have any effect at all upon the planet's rotation or it's core.</p><p>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The bit about putting a disk between venus and the sun to cool it off seems silly at first, but then consider that if you have self-replicating nano-tech taht does nothing but replicate and put itself in the right formation, you can launch the "spark" and to an asteroid and direct that asteroid via very low impulse drives into the right orbit around the sun.&nbsp; Then trigger the nanotech and watch your disk build itself.&nbsp; Difficult, but not really that farfetched?&nbsp; Big question would seem to be given how far you would need to be from venus to orbit the sun and not venus, what total mass of disk would be required to dampen the sun an appreciable amount?&nbsp; Then figure the mass of a large asteroid and the likely % of usable material within that asteroid. <br /> Posted by tampaDreamer</DIV></p><p>We have no way of knowing if nanotechnology will ever be capable of this kind of elaborate space-based engineering, so it's really only wishful speculation at this point. &nbsp;We currently don't have the technology to build such a massive structure in space.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

tampaDreamer

I thought the solar wind stripped away atmospheres of planets that do not have magnetic fields? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

crazyeddie

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I thought the solar wind stripped away atmospheres of planets that do not have magnetic fields? <br /> Posted by tampaDreamer</DIV></p><p>They do, but Venus's atmosphere is composed of mostly CO2, which is a relatively dense gas, so it is not driven off as readily as the lighter gases. &nbsp;Venus also has a LOT of atmosphere to strip away, so it will be many millions, if not billions, of years before it will be significantly depleted.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#ff0000">They do, but Venus's atmosphere is composed of mostly CO2, which is a relatively dense gas, so it is not driven off as readily as the lighter gases. &nbsp;Venus also has a LOT of atmosphere to strip away, so it will be many millions, if not billions, of years before it will be significantly depleted.&nbsp; <br /> Posted by crazyeddie</font></DIV></p><p><font size="2"><strong>That's very true crazyeddie,</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>also worth noting that Venus has strong gravity, approx 0.93 G on the surface & also the Cyterean atmosphere is almost certainly being replenished through volcanic eruptions.</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Every 500 million years or so, it is thought that Venus undergoes a global lava resurfacing event, Venus has no plate tectonics, so all volcanism will be magmatic hot spot volcanism, i.e Yellowstone, Hawaii, Galapagos Islands, on Earth, etc. </strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Venus does not get rid of internal heat though spreading & subduction volcanism like much of Earth's, so Venus's volcanism appears to be localised for much of the time, with massive lava resurfacing events, every 500 MY or so, ridding much of the excess heat bottled up in the mantle.</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>These resurfacing events will certainly maintain Venus's dense atmosphere, despite the lack of a global magnetosphere.</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Andrew Brown. </strong></font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

T

tampaDreamer

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>That's very true crazyeddie,also worth noting that Venus has strong gravity, approx 0.93 G on the surface & also the Cyterean atmosphere is almost certainly being replenished through volcanic eruptions.Every 500 million years or so, it is thought that Venus undergoes a global lava resurfacing event, Venus has no plate tectonics, so all volcanism will be magmatic hot spot volcanism, i.e Yellowstone, Hawaii, Galapagos Islands, on Earth, etc. Venus does not get rid of internal heat though spreading & subduction volcanism like much of Earth's, so Venus's volcanism appears to be localised for much of the time, with massive lava resurfacing events, every 500 MY or so, ridding much of the excess heat bottled up in the mantle.These resurfacing events will certainly maintain Venus's dense atmosphere, despite the lack of a global magnetosphere.Andrew Brown. <br />Posted by 3488</DIV><br /><br />Global resurfacing.. ouch!&nbsp; I always wondered if such was possible on earth.&nbsp; I guess our plate techtonics protects us from that.&nbsp; Why doesn't venus have plate techtonics, is that a habitable zone thing?</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.