the Physics of Sunshine

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Ortix

Hi everyone! this is my first post at these forums and hopefully you guys can help me with this 'issue'

Basically, i'm doing a final project for fizzix (how my physics teacher likes to call it) where we have to pick a movie and find the bad physics of it.

Now i picked the move sunshine and i've got a list, and i would like to know from the community whether fizzix is correct or not. I'm not looking for super elaborate explanations, but a sentence in explaining would do.

Now here goes:

1.The solar wind is too high to send information back to earth between Venus and Mercury, even though the sun is dying
2.Mercury's iron content acts as an antenna to amplify/reflect Icarus' I distress beacon.
3.Gravity on the ship (obviously impossible without centrifugal force, also doubt they made use of gravitons...)
4. The way the fire started in the O2 garden (light got reflected into the garden by a rotating com's tower)
5. The speed of mercury transiting the sun.
6. How mercury actually appears RIGHT of the sun and not IN FRONT of it. It basically fades into view when it's not yet crossing the sun.
7. The entire shield... The thickness of it ( how is 30cm shield able to protect hydraulics?! and even the crew from the sun's radiation)
8. Is the small shield (after separation for the return trip) big enough to protect the ship?
9. Is the crossing from Icarus I to Icarus II through space without spacesuits actually possible the way they did it?

That would be it i guess... If you know any other weird physics that i have missed, be my guest :) Really appreciate this:)

A

a_lost_packet_

Ortix":2kncdg6j said:
Hi everyone! this is my first post at these forums and hopefully you guys can help me with this 'issue'

Basically, i'm doing a final project for fizzix (how my physics teacher likes to call it) where we have to pick a movie and find the bad physics of it.

Now i picked the move sunshine and i've got a list, and i would like to know from the community whether fizzix is correct or not. I'm not looking for super elaborate explanations, but a sentence in explaining would do.

Now here goes:...

I didn't see the movie.

However, a few here did and made a thread about how bad it was. Do a search on it in this forum. Good luck!

D

Damishy

Hey

i for one saw that movie and i thought i was great.
so i dont know every thing a Fizzix :), but ill do my best.

1.it's definitely true that solar winds will disrupted radio waves, but if i recall right at the beginning of the movie they send off there final message.
2.idk that one but it seems to be true.
3.i forget what year it is set in, but since now we cant stabilize gravity i guess it is not true.
4.this one depends on how close they are to the sun. from earth orbit if you are in space and are faceing the sun it would be about 200 degrees F. but obviously the closer you get the hotter it is, so i can give a specific answer, but if they were close enough it would catch on fire.
5.it's bin a while since i saw it so i cant answer it.
7. the shield is completely WRONG, all metals that we know now would melt before it made it to the sun.
8. again i saw it awhile ago
9.NO, in space it can reach very close to absolute zero witch even with all of the insulin he had on he would freeze to death in seconds.

well there, i know i didn't answer all of them, hope that helps :)

P

pmn1

Why is it in these films, no-one who boards derelict spaceships has watched Alien or takes into account there could be a looney onboard - as far as I know, the only people to have ever done so are the crew of the Leonov in 2010 (the book version).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts