The size of space.

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jakethesnake

TheGreatVoid":2thhe0sb said:
I had a discussion today with my kids about the size of space. After much pondering and trying to comprehend it, we concluded that actually space is nothing, therefore it doesn't exist. Problem solved. How much time has been wasted trying to work this out? It took us 10 minutes. Ha!

Space is defined several ways if you are defining what’s beyond Earths atmosphere… Geospace, Interplanetary space, and Intergalactic space, but if you are asking what is the size of the universe then it has been expanding ever since the theoretical Big Bang occurred.

But to say space is nothing is convoluted at best… and I certainly wouldn’t offer that definition up to my kids that
“space is nothing, therefore it doesn't exist” that’s lazy thinking at best...

Why don’t you just Google it and give your kids something tangible instead of taking 10 minutes out to come up with a bunch of malarkey...

This thread belongs in the unexplained if all you are offering is 10 minutes of you uneducated time...

Try showing your kids this so they aren’t embarrassed when they say space doesn’t exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_space

E

Eman_3

On the Earth's surface we are swimming in a sea of air, magnetic fields, and a lot of other stuff. As we move away from the surface and go deeper and deeper into interstellar space, the air becomes thinner and thinner, but never reaches a perfect vacuum.

Believing that "space" is totally devoid of anything is like looking at a bathtub full of water and declaring that it's empty because you can see the bottom.

W

WarpMark

I heard that there can never be a complete vacuum, according to physics, it would cause particles to become massless or something like that.

M

MeteorWayne

That makes no sense, since the definition of a complete vacuum would be a lack of particles.

However, even in a vacuum, particles would be popping in and out of existance :)

L

lukman

what do you mean by "space is nothing"?

Nowaday space is really something, my brother just bought a car parking space for $50k, unless $50k is nothing to you :p

S

SL

Well...you can't say that space is nothing , because space is... well everything ,space is I guess everything you can't see and also the planets are in space so...and we are in space if space is nothing then we are nothing :)
but who decided that just because you can't see it, it's nothing? if things we can't see is nothing then air is nothing
and it doesn't exist, and we wouldn't survive without air :) so it just can't be nothing...that's how I see it
but it's strange whats exist and what doesn't. ;)

G

Gravity_Ray

TheGreatVoid":1xj3pra7 said:
I had a discussion today with my kids about the size of space. After much pondering and trying to comprehend it, we concluded that actually space is nothing, therefore it doesn't exist. Problem solved. How much time has been wasted trying to work this out? It took us 10 minutes. Ha!

After reading this post and much pondering I have concluded that your argument is nothing, therefore it doesn't exist. Problem solved. :mrgreen:

Hey dont get mad I'm just kidding with you. Actually its great that you talk to your kids about this. The mind of a child is an exellent place to cultivate discussions about space. Seriously though, space is something. if it was nothing then gravity wouldnt exist, and we all know that if I throw a rock up in the air it will land squarley on your head, or MW, but not mine. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS