The sun and the earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ahmeeeeeeeeeed

hello>>

I just ant to ask >> is it sure 100% that the sun doesnot orbit the earth ??

can't we finf later that the opposite is right ?

thanks

M

MeteorWayne

Yes we are 100% sure. It has not been in dispute (i.e. <100%) in centuries.

Do a little science research, it is supported by hundreds of lines of evidence and direct observations.

The Sun has a mass of 332,946 Earths or approx a third of a million Earth masses, so yes it is indisputable fact that the Earth orbit's the Sun.

The fact the Earth orbits the Sun has been known for centuries & it follows the laws of extremely basic physics too.

Andrew Brown.

N

neuvik

Aww.

And I was half expecting to see a "Spam link removed ///user banned," oh well, I can dream.

S

SteveCNC

The sun makes a very slight wobble because of the earth but I would hardly call that an orbit .

M

MeteorWayne

Actually, the sun makes a very slight wobble for every planet, asteroid, and comet in the whole solar system...

About 43% of the sun's reflex motion is from Jupiter, 27% from Saturn, 8% from Uranus, and 15% from Neptune. Everything else contributes the remaining 7%. Earth's contribution is <0.01%.

As such, everything orbits the center of mass of the solar system (called the barycenter), including the sun and earth.
Much of the time, the barycenter is below the surface of the sun, but when Jupiter and Saturn are on the same side of the solar system, it is outside the surface.

graphic representation

500px-Solar_system_barycenter.svg.png

C

csmyth3025

MeteorWayne":3ebhatz9 said:
Actually, the sun makes a very slight wobble for every planet, asteroid, and comet in the whole solar system...

How does our sun's wobble compare to that of the stars we feel have exoplanets. Could a civilization on one of those worlds - using technology similar to ours - reach the conclusion the our sun has multiple planets?

Chris

M

MeteorWayne

Not in the same amount of time we've been looking. The technique takes a few orbits to confirm a planet exists, and we've only been using the doppler method for about a dozen years...one Jupiter orbit. So in another 15 or 20 years they would know about Jupiter, another 50 years Saturn, another hundred or two Uranus and Neptune.

C

csmyth3025

MeteorWayne":2u5b83js said:
Not in the same amount of time we've been looking. The technique takes a few orbits to confirm a planet exists, and we've only been using the doppler method for about a dozen years...one Jupiter orbit. So in another 15 or 20 years they would know about Jupiter, another 50 years Saturn, another hundred or two Uranus and Neptune.

Is this one of the reasons why most of the exoplanets we feel we've detected are very large and (mostly) very close to their suns?

Also, based on the prevalence of exoplanets vs the number of stars we've examined in out local area, are planetary systems now considered fairly common or do they seem to be a rare occurence?

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts