The Sundering: Dread Empire's Fall by Walter Jon Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leovinus

I bought this book while hurredly looking through the grocery store book shelves for any Sci-Fi book to keep me sane during my day-long stint as an election judge at last week's primary election. This one had a nice cover and so I snapped it up. I never heard of the author Walter Jon Williams but I didn't care.<br /><br />I'm about 2/3 of the way through this book now. I have mixed feelings about it. <br /><br />On the plus side: The universe he describes is very interested and well-described. I'm interested in finding out how the story turns out.<br /><br />On the minus side: I'm so sick of the soap-opera storylines of who is marrying who and I'm sick of the social structure where if you have money your ideas are more worthy than if you are born into a lower social class. An example: The main character of the story comes up with a brilliant idea which will mean the difference between winning a war and losing it. But because of his social class, his idea is turned down. Stupid, I know. So when you're reading about stupid frustrating people, the reader ends up getting frustrated.<br /><br />I'll keep reading till the end, however. I'll let you know my final opinion on this book. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

P

pr0ject0ri0n

Where have all my posts gone? Hi Leo. Any idea what is happening? An explanation would be much appreciated at this point. It is rather unpleasant to spend useful time writing up responses to other members here only to see those messages nuked the very next day. Is it now Space.com policy to let mods play with the board and mess up threads? If I have in any way violated the rules please advise in what fashion and if possible provide evidence. I have better things to do than play games like this. I do not believe I have done anything deserving of this treatment. Anybody else here getting bullied?

L

Leovinus

Only after I finished the book did I realize that this was part 2 of a continuing saga. I was disappointed that the story didn't end, but then again I get to look forward to part 3. Or should I go and hunt down part 1? <br /><br />The soap-opera-like elements cooled off after the middle of the book. Towards the end were incredible descriptions of solar-system wide battles using real physics (speed of light limitations, planning your tactics based on where your enemy will be when light from your attack reaches them, etc.) That last part of the book really kept me glued to the book. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

W

wmdragon

<i>(speed of light limitations, planning your tactics based on where your enemy will be when light from your attack reaches them, etc.)</i><br /><br />cool, space combat has always appealed to me<br /><br />that sucks, reading thru a book to realize it's the middle part of some series. I would pick up the 1st one if I liked it enough <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#993366"><em>The only laws of matter are those which our minds must fabricate, and the only laws of mind are fabricated for it by matter.</em> <br /> --- James Clerk Maxwell</font></p> </div>

T

toymaker

"I'm so sick of the soap-opera storylines of who is marrying who"<br />I am sick of social relations irrelevant to the sf elements in the story, I am really angry when I read about the main plot only to be interrupted by a hero's wife telling him in 15 pages how much does it suck to be hero's wife or some othe BS like that.<br />As to the book-read only the first part-wonder about the restrictions on nanotechnology and other high tech, makes me think if there is something in Wiliams galaxy that is waiting to be discovered.

L

Leovinus

I went out and bought the first book "The Praxis" and I've just gotten started. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts