The USS Enterprise: Just how practical?

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

drwayne

I think there might have been some recognition of the issues with the pylons, as later model starships
seem to have shorter and sturdier "looking" pylons.

Many novels I have read have also referred to the "Structural Integrity Field" which is supposed to be
a force field that dramatically reinforces the mechanical strength of the hardbody.

Z

ZenGalacticore

Considering all the wildly advanced and really strong composite materials we have and are developing now, what might we have in the 23rd century?

I don't see why the struts holding the warp pylons have to "look" sturdy. Nor do I see any reason for all the exterior detail on the Battlestar Galactica or the SW Star Destroyers, other than aesthetics. I remember me and a buddy of mine always goofing off in art class back in high school, doing drawings of Star Destroyers from SW and the Nostromo from "Alien".

He always criticized my "lack of exterior detail". I'd say, well, what's it for?

"I don't know, man. It just makes it look better!"

I think the original Enterprise is actually more realistic, in that most everything is protected by an outer, smooth shell. I also think the interior clean lines are more likely. 200 years from now, the interiors of our ships won't have junk hanging and poking out everywhere. Ducts, systems, and different apparatuses will be hidden behind panels, similar to modern aircraft and aircraft carriers, when compared to the aircraft and carriers of yore.

D

drwayne

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the Jupiter 2, so I am not sure one can take anything
I say seriously regarding FLT space travel. ;)

C

crazyeddie

drwayne":jv3ym2j9 said:
I think there might have been some recognition of the issues with the pylons, as later model starships
seem to have shorter and sturdier "looking" pylons.

Many novels I have read have also referred to the "Structural Integrity Field" which is supposed to be
a force field that dramatically reinforces the mechanical strength of the hardbody.

The pylons of the starships that followed the Galaxy class designs were altered to reduce or eliminate the damage to subspace, a consequence of warp drive technology that was discovered in 2370 (and detailed in an episode of ST-TNG), according to the ST canon, culminating with the variable-geometry pylons of the Intrepid class ships (Voyager). Prior to that, the Structural Integrity Field (which was presumably associated with the Inertial Dampers which kept the crew from being flattened into jelly when the ship accelerated) allowed relatively spindly pylons of the type seen in the NX, Constellation, Ambassador, Akira, and Excelsior classes that were made between 2151 and the late 24th century.

C

crazyeddie

drwayne":3hzyztfj said:
I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the Jupiter 2, so I am not sure one can take anything
I say seriously regarding FLT space travel. ;)

Yes, the Jupiter 2 will always be my favorite spaceship. When I was a kid, I dreamed of having one of my own to explore the galaxy with....never mind the fact that it made no sense from a technological standpoint, that ship was just frakking COOL! :cool:

Z

ZenGalacticore

Eddie- You are the nerd of the week! :lol: :cool:

You have studied your Star Trek technical manuals, I must say!

C

crazyeddie

ZenGalacticore":3vyw9vuf said:

I prefer the term "geek", myself! ;)

Z

ZenGalacticore

crazyeddie":1z11bix1 said:
ZenGalacticore":1z11bix1 said:

I prefer the term "geek", myself! ;)

So be it! "Geek of the week". (Sounds better, anyway.) :ugeek:

C

Couerl

None of the spaceships on television or in movies struck me as being practical (if there even is such a thing) but, at least in literature two have always captured my imagination and remained in my memories.. The first was the "Far Star" in Asimov's Foundation's Edge. At least I think it was FE, where they went looking for the lost home planet of human origin and ancient legend; Earth. That was a cool ship a bit like a large yacht complete with human/computer interface (just sit in the chair and think away and the ship goes where you want it to).

The second was the "Roger Young", Starship Troopers the book.. Or maybe it was The Forever War.. I forget.. Damn I'm getting old and sh*tty. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts