The "V" (the Visitors) Remake Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

ABC is re-doing the 80's sci-fi miniseries about so-called friendly aliens who park huge spaceships over our cites & offer tech and peace, but in reality.....

Premieres in November

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQoSCEMzJYE[/youtube]

From the original series
V-aliens-miniseries_l.jpg

New cast photo
season1cast-8.jpg

Show poster
abcvlogo.jpg

S

StarRider1701

Re: "V" (the Visitors) remake trailer

I wonder what they will want this time? In the original series they needed our water, saying that water was one of the scarcest things in the galaxy. That was before our Astronomers discovered that water, in the form of ice, is fairly common, at least in our solar system. They were also gathering up some of US to use as herd animals. They were some kind of reptillian creatures that prefered eating mammals.

I liked the original V, although I think I missed some of it. I might have to check out the remake.

D

doublehelix

Thanks for posting the trailer, docm. I didn't realize Elizabeth Mitchell was going to be in it! I loved her on LOST. Alan Tudyk and Morena Baccarin are faves from Firefly, too. From Wikipedia:

The cast list was officially announced by ABC on May 19, 2009:[3]

* Elizabeth Mitchell as Erica Evans
* Morris Chestnut as Ryan Nichols
* Joel Gretsch as Father Jack Landry
* Lourdes Benedicto as Valerie Stevens
* Logan Huffman as Tyler Evans
* Morena Baccarin as Anna, the leader of the Visitors
* Laura Vandervoort as Lisa, a Visitor
* Scott Wolf as Chad Decker, a reporter
* Alan Tudyk as Dale Maddox (FBI investigator); Tudyk stars in the pilot episode,[4] but was not listed as a main cast member by ABC.

I loved the original series when I was a young person in the 80s. This remake holds much promise for me!

-dh

M

mj1

Dude. I had NO idea this was coming. I was a HUGE V fan back in the day. I hope this is a good as the old series was, but I have my doubts from watching the trailer on the ABC site. Just remote programmed my DVR remotely to make sure I don't miss it. Hope somebody starts a discussion board in here on the series.

B

bdewoody

The new "V" series

Well I'll start the comments. I watched the pilot Tuesday night and if you buy into the plot line I guess it was OK. Something new to this edition there are sleeper cells of visitors here who have been here for quite a while.

Why I hate the plot line. Why would they bother to try to trick us into believing they are here to help us. Aliens with ships like that would clearly be able to take what they wanted like the wraith in StarGate Atlantis without our permission or blessing. So why all the drama, unless it's because the females are in charge and female lizzards like humans can't exist without drama.

J

junkheap

Re: The new "V" series

They want their cattle to be docile and healthy.

What's the rare mineral they claim to want? They said it's rare elsewhere, but common on Earth.

J

JeffreyNYA

junkheap":p94qyfhr said:
They want their cattle to be docile and healthy.

What's the rare mineral they claim to want? They said it's rare elsewhere, but common on Earth.

I thought it was water.

B

bdewoody

That's what it was in the original "V" series. However now with all the knowlegde we have about water on several moons they may opt for some other substance this time around.

F

FlatEarth

I watched the pilot, but it’s not a story line that will pull me in. For instance, why in blazes would a reptilian alien fall in love with a human?
I may watch it occasionally because the V leader is smokin'. :)

S

StarRider1701

Well, the first episode was good. Similar to the original as I remember it, but that was several decades ago and my memory ain't what it used to be! :lol:
I liked it, especially the meeting at the end and the revalation of the anti-V underground which included some Vs who don't like the way things are being run. I'm gonna keep watching...

M

MeteorWayne

I'm going to merge the two V threads.

D

docm

FlatEarth":301q2fke said:
I watched the pilot, but it’s not a story line that will pull me in. For instance, why in blazes would a reptilian alien fall in love with a human?
Same reason the Visitor Willie (Robert Englund) and the human Harmony (Diane Civita) fell in love in the original mini-series - connection conquers species. They have a kid named Ted, but that's another story.

D

doublehelix

Thanks for the video link, doc. "V" is in my Hulu queue and I look forward to watching the rest of it. I did hear some bad reviews, though, but I thought this opening was good enough to get me interested in the rest.

Happy to see LOST's Juliet in a main role, too!

-dh

M

mj1

bdewoody":2uc9ssg9 said:
Why I hate the plot line. Why would they bother to try to trick us into believing they are here to help us. Aliens with ships like that would clearly be able to take what they wanted like the wraith in StarGate Atlantis without our permission or blessing. So why all the drama, unless it's because the females are in charge and female lizzards like humans can't exist without drama.
My guess is that since they have already infiltrated earth, they know that if they try to just take what they want, we'll nuke the crap out of our own planet in an effort to fight them and they'll end up with nothing. In Stargate Atlantis, the Wraith never allowed any civilization to get to the point of having atomics. They would "cull" them long before that and set them back to square one technology wise. If they visitors had came like 100 years before now, perhaps they would have just been able to conquer the earth and take what they want without repercussions, but not now.

R

RSA4

After the pilot, I am fairly impressed. I liked the CGI and the plot line is okay, if a little overly true to the original

SPOILER ALERT:

A few things I'd like to see change:
1) During the interview with Chad a lot of other studio folks were around when Anna asked him to keep the view positive. Surely SOME of these folks see a story in this and should break it? Heck, the cameras are often recording pre-interview, so this whole exchange will be on camera.

2) Where are Earth's leaders? No, really? Why isn't the president meeting with Anna? Is all official communication going to happen with some two-bit reporter? Why isn't Bloomberg out there saying, "hey, you know, love that ship, but please, can you park it say out to sea or across the Hudson? We don't really like the massive shadow over NYC"

3) FBI agent Erica. So, she goes to a meeting, learns the V's have sleepers, are reptiles likely out to kill all humans, and kills her partner when she finds out he is a reptile, too. What does she do? Why she goes with the priest to the top of a building and makes a pact to build a resistance. Surely, a highly trained FBI field agent would have picked up that hunk of cold dead reptile corpse, thrown it in the car, dragged it into the FBI office and shown all 100+ people there what the V's are?

N

netarch

StarRider1701":38o44soy said:
I wonder what they will want this time? In the original series they needed our water, saying that water was one of the scarcest things in the galaxy. That was before our Astronomers discovered that water, in the form of ice, is fairly common, at least in our solar system. They were also gathering up some of US to use as herd animals. They were some kind of reptillian creatures that prefered eating mammals.

I liked the original V, although I think I missed some of it. I might have to check out the remake.

In the original mini-series, didn't they eat possums (or armadillos?)? Or am I confusing it with AlienNation?, which, I understand, is being adapted again for TV - this time bySciFi.

S

StarRider1701

netarch":1t9lsekz said:
In the original mini-series, didn't they eat possums (or armadillos)?

Naw. The leader lady had a box of white Lab mice. Every once in a while she'd take one out and bite its head off. Gobble-gobble, crunch-crunch! What a fine snack.

I liked that the Vs would say whatever it is they wanted, then almost as an afterthought, they would smile a very fake smile. The one guy who seems to be the leader lady's assistant was really good at it. I don't remember that detail in the original V.

Beware the smile of a predator - its usually only seen by the prey!

D

doom_shepherd

I watched the first series.

It was a cool, concept, but I never could wrap my brain around the supposed reason for the Visitor's plan.

I mean, even by then we knew that comets and Saturn's rings were mostly ice.

It occurs to me that a society capable fo moving its entire planetary population through interstellar space, and possessing (apparently) antigravity tech, probably wouldn't need to drop down into a gravity well to get all the ice/metals/resources they could possibly want.

It would be a waste of energy.

Food? You have a city-size ship. Build a "farm" level and raise whatever food you brought from home.

S

StarRider1701

doom_shepherd":3ncbk16b said:
Food? You have a city-size ship. Build a "farm" level and raise whatever food you brought from home.

They are carnivors - predators. I'm sure they have some of their own herd animals aboard, but they're looking for fresh meat - namely US! The rest is just bullcrap and smoke screens to deflect attention away froom their real objective.

In nature the strong ALWAYS feed upon the weak. Those who cannot defend themselves or outrun or outwit the teeth and claws becomes food. Why would anyone think that this would change out there amongst the stars?

S

StarRider1701

You forget this is Hollywood not real life. If they did all that, then the show would be no fun and over quickly.
That's why they always answer the door when the boogyman knocks, always goes down into the dark basement with the burnt out light bulb to investigate the strange noise, always do the dumb stuff while the audience yells "don't do it!"
If they didn't the show would end.

PS. I'm surprised our ever diligent mods haven't merged the two V threads...

S

SpacexULA

They are not showing the politicians because it would derail the plot, we currently have 4 story lines, schmuck reporter, emotionally conflicted FBI agent, horny son of FBI agent and V sleeper/trader.

I like the show so far (especially like seeing Alan Tudyk again, my FAVORITE actor)

It is interesting though, with current knowledge of astronomy, what COULD they want from earth? What is rare about the Earth?

If I had to guess, they are going to try to disarm the human nukes before wiping the world of us. They only rare thing about our planet is it's orbit and water content. Either that or they want to raid the earth for it's biological diversity.

J

JasonChapman

I have the original series on DVD. The renmake is ok, certainly darker than the original, but I'll keep watching.

S

StarRider1701

SpacexULA":jut6pk0a said:
It is interesting though, with current knowledge of astronomy, what COULD they want from earth?

They want a great new food animal, a herd animal that could also become a useful tool if properly motivated and supervised - US!

And maybe the Earth, too.

U

usmcsf0331

RSA4":1bna8kqv said:
After the pilot, I am fairly impressed. I liked the CGI and the plot line is okay, if a little overly true to the original

SPOILER ALERT:

A few things I'd like to see change:
1) During the interview with Chad a lot of other studio folks were around when Anna asked him to keep the view positive. Surely SOME of these folks see a story in this and should break it? Heck, the cameras are often recording pre-interview, so this whole exchange will be on camera.

2) Where are Earth's leaders? No, really? Why isn't the president meeting with Anna? Is all official communication going to happen with some two-bit reporter? Why isn't Bloomberg out there saying, "hey, you know, love that ship, but please, can you park it say out to sea or across the Hudson? We don't really like the massive shadow over NYC"

3) FBI agent Erica. So, she goes to a meeting, learns the V's have sleepers, are reptiles likely out to kill all humans, and kills her partner when she finds out he is a reptile, too. What does she do? Why she goes with the priest to the top of a building and makes a pact to build a resistance. Surely, a highly trained FBI field agent would have picked up that hunk of cold dead reptile corpse, thrown it in the car, dragged it into the FBI office and shown all 100+ people there what the V's are?

1) I agree with this one. Unless everyone around was actually a reptilian, someone would probably leak it... Then again it is still early in the show, so who is to say one of them won't leak it or maybe try to leak it then get killed instead.

2) I think that this part will come later. As of now the V are still restricted to their ships and a small embassy type thing under it. The secret service would never allow the president to be taken up into a space ship, and I am sure other world leaders would have similar issues. Based on commercials I would imagine that once Reptile chick gets here passport she will go down and meet some big wigs.

3. This one I definitely don't agree with. She investigates terrorist cells, which can vanish in a second if they know someone is on to them. Add that to the fact there is no way to profile a potential reptilian, and therefore can't trust anyone, I think it would be in her best interest to investigate secretly. If she did drag the reptilian body of her partner to the FBI, all kinds of bad stuff would go down, and she would probably be whacked. Not to mention there wouldn't be any cool plot twists when Pirate Steve came back all pissed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.