These alien planets may be more habitable for life than our own Earth

This is a very interesting exoplanet study report. The paper says "Although an exact count of these potentially superhabitable planets is impossible given the uncertainties in our mostly qualitative model and given the uncertainties in the observed parameters, Fig. 2 shows that there are indeed at least about two dozen possible candidates for a superhabitable planet. We caution that we do not have any observational signatures of life from any of these planets. In fact, only Kepler 1126 b (KOI 2162) and Kepler-69c (KOI 172.02) are statistically validated planets (Morton et al., 2016). The other objects are unconfirmed Kepler Objects of Interest (KOIs), some of which may turn out to be astrophysical false positives.", In Search for a Planet Better than Earth: Top Contenders for a Superhabitable World, https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/ast.2019.2161, "Abstract..."

I checked for exoplanet masses 1.1 to 1.5 earth masses using MS SQL query and found 9 confirmed, most are 5 to 23 day orbital periods and the list includes TRAPPIST-c and g exoplanets, http://exoplanet.eu/catalog/

Aug 31, 2020
Visit site
These planets are so far away that the on your journey to them you just might see another space ship pass you up because of improved propulsion advancement.
That risk is as great a risk on how to survive the journey and living on these "Goldilocks Planets".

The vast distances of space is further proof that earth is a penal colony akin to what Alcatraz was and the history of Australia.
Look how violent and distructive our society is. Would you want this mindset out exploring space, trashing every planet they visit, rape it of it's natural resources then move on to the next one?

Wolfshadw

The vast distances of space is further proof that earth is a penal colony akin to what Alcatraz was and the history of Australia.

Whether we like to admit it or not, the human race, as a whole, is more akin to a virus that multiplies, consumes and spreads until there is nothing left. For the time being, we are quarantined on this planet and it is my fervent hope (not that I'll live to see it) that we either die out here on a dead Earth or that we (the race) evolve to a less destructive organism long before we move beyond the reach of our star.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

I checked for exoplanet masses 1.1 to 1.5 earth masses using MS SQL query and found 9 confirmed, most are 5 to 23 day orbital periods and the list includes TRAPPIST-c and g exoplanets

Can you modify your query to include the type of star? 1.1 to 1.5 Earth masses is fine, but if it's orbit is 5 to 23 days around a yellow dwarf like our star, that doesn't bode well, one would think.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: rod
Aug 31, 2020
Visit site
Whether we like to admit it or not, the human race, as a whole, is more akin to a virus that multiplies, consumes and spreads until there is nothing left. For the time being, we are quarantined on this planet and it is my fervent hope (not that I'll live to see it) that we either die out here on a dead Earth or that we (the race) evolve to a less destructive organism long before we move beyond the reach of our star.

-Wolf sends

Yes pretty much what was said in one of the movies in the Matrix.

Can you modify your query to include the type of star? 1.1 to 1.5 Earth masses is fine, but if it's orbit is 5 to 23 days around a yellow dwarf like our star, that doesn't bode well, one would think.

-Wolf sends
Wolfshadow, you can run a query at the site too.
mass:mjup > 0.0034 and mass:mjup < 0.005 will execute the query in the filter field. The star types are listed. TRAPPIST system is 0.08 solar mass red dwarf, other stars smaller too like 0.5 solar mass, one is larger in mass than our Sun, etc.

Oct 14, 2020
Visit site
I also wonder how important the presence of a magnetic field is to sustain life. Its the magnetic field after all that protects earth from a lot of dangerous cosmic radiation out there. Can they detect magnetic fields for these habitable planets?

Reactions: Helio and rod
Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
This is a very interesting exoplanet study report. The paper says "Although an exact count of these potentially superhabitable planets is impossible given the uncertainties in our mostly qualitative model and given the uncertainties in the observed parameters, Fig. 2 shows that there are indeed at least about two dozen possible candidates for a superhabitable planet. We caution that we do not have any observational signatures of life from any of these planets. In fact, only Kepler 1126 b (KOI 2162) and Kepler-69c (KOI 172.02) are statistically validated planets (Morton et al., 2016). The other objects are unconfirmed Kepler Objects of Interest (KOIs), some of which may turn out to be astrophysical false positives.", In Search for a Planet Better than Earth: Top Contenders for a Superhabitable World, https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/ast.2019.2161, "Abstract..."

I checked for exoplanet masses 1.1 to 1.5 earth masses using MS SQL query and found 9 confirmed, most are 5 to 23 day orbital periods and the list includes TRAPPIST-c and g exoplanets, http://exoplanet.eu/catalog/

I use the Exoplanet phone app database. Can you help me find KOI 5715.01 and KOI 5554.01 in there? I did a search and came up empty. Many thanks.

Oct 14, 2020
Visit site
I have not read reports of magnetic fields documented on exoplanets but some are looking for them.
'A New Method for Detecting Magnetic Fields in Exoplanets', https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2020AAS...23532107O/abstract, January 2020.

We have a new report today about habitable Earth and magnetic field, the Moon is used too. 'Life on earth: Why we may have the moon's now defunct magnetic field to thank for it', https://phys.org/news/2020-10-life-earth-moon-defunct-magnetic.html

Thanks Rod very helpful! will go through them.

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
Will no one mention the problem with the larger planet and the gravity? Sure more land, warmer core, everything including your body will be heavier.

Jan 25, 2021
Visit site

-Wolf sends

All species will consume resources and breed unchecked if they can. Humans can. In that regard, we’re just another animal. The species as a whole is exhausting its environment at an ever-increasing rate because there is nothing to stop us.

I can’t see that changing in time to stop a world-wide calamity. Hopefully, we will have designed and constructed our successor species before that happens. Artificial intelligence won’t be able to save us but it might evolve quickly enough to substitute for us as an intelligence from our solar system. Biological species cannot traverse interstellar space but a machine intelligence certainly can.

Reactions: sam85geo
On a cold, snowy day with the dogs barking at the cat who is under the couch, scratching the furniture, I really wish that there were another habitable planet(s). However, from current physics/astronomy, and "Down East" humor living beings just can't get there from here. The above article says it succinctly and adds an interesting idea. (P.S.: I volunteer the cat for a test flight).

Latest posts