This 'forbidden' exoplanet is way too massive for its star

The article does state what the problem is for this exoplanet.

"Editor’s summary Planets form in protoplanetary disks of gas and dust around young stars that are undergoing their own formation process. The amount of material in the disk determines how big the planets can grow. Stefánsson et al. observed a nearby low-mass star using near-infrared spectroscopy. They detected Doppler shifts due to an orbiting exoplanet of at least 13 Earth masses, which is almost the mass of Neptune. Theoretical models do not predict the formation of such a massive planet around a low-mass star (see the Perspective by Masset). The authors used simulations to show that its presence could be explained if the protoplanetary disk were 10 times more massive than expected for the host star. —Keith T. Smith", ref - https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abo0233

My note. The exoplanet.eu site shows 5550 confirmed exoplanets now, 3984 show radius property provided for the exoplanets, the host stars show 4584 stars with radii reported. Edit, 4584 exoplanets that show their host star radii.

The NASA exoplanet archive site, https://exoplanetarchive.ipac.caltech.edu/index.html

Shows 5550 exoplanets confirmed too. 4209 show radii in Jupiter size too.

Slicing and dicing the data different ways can be very interesting :)

Reactions: Helio
Shows 5550 exoplanets confirmed too. 4209 show radii in Jupiter size too.

Slicing and dicing the data different ways can be very interesting :)
Right. And many of those large exoplanets are found in tight orbits around their red dwarf host, like this "forbidden" one. So, if there are hundreds of other similar examples, why pick this one and state your computer program says it's unexplainable? This points more to a computer program issue, IMO. Or is there something I'm missing about this one?

Right. And many of those large exoplanets are found in tight orbits around their red dwarf host, like this "forbidden" one. So, if there are hundreds of other similar examples, why pick this one and state your computer program says it's unexplainable? This points more to a computer program issue, IMO. Or is there something I'm missing about this one?
Recommend, if the paper simulations are wrong, advise those folks Helio :)

Recommend, if the paper simulations are wrong, advise those folks Helio :)
I would if it wasn't so blatant an issue? They are surely aware of this, so there's got to be something else happening here. Perhaps its too big of a exoplanet at this age, as if still in a protoplanetary state, or something? But that would not go unmentioned, I hope.

I would if it wasn't so blatant an issue? They are surely aware of this, so there's got to be something else happening here. Perhaps its too big of a exoplanet at this age, as if still in a protoplanetary state, or something? But that would not go unmentioned, I hope.
Helio peer review process at work :) Fun stuff to read still :)

I do not understand why such a large planet is unexpected. When a planet gets large it tends to have more gravity thus attracts more mass.
There must be some mechanism in order to gain or lose the requisite energy for each of so many planetoids to adjust to the new orbit. Passing stars maybe?

Migration is a given during the protoplanet phase. The larger planets, I think, will normally form just past the frost line where the disk will remain heaviest.

I suspect the large numbers I show are likely due to observational bias. Large exos at close orbits are far easier to detect both in the transit method and the wobble method, and other methods.

Reactions: billslugg

Latest posts