Transporters and the Higgs

• Thread starter Fallingstar1971
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fallingstar1971

Recently I saw a documentary stating that to map out the atoms in one person for transport (Star Trek) you would need somewhere on the total of all the skyscrapers in New York filled with HDs.

Currently, they are working on the Higgs (or God particle) at CERN. So my question is this.

Would it take less storage to map out the postions of the Higgs?

Let me clean that up a bit........

Could we use the Higgs to compress the human data into a smaller storage unit. Just like using WinZip to compress a large file? Could we somehow just use the information about the Higgs and reconstruct say...a rock? Or a person?

Or better still, could we "suspend" the effects of the Higgs long enough for an FTL trip and then somehow "re-activate" them at the end?

Star

A

azure_infinity

The story started with trying to quantify gravity. The "graviton". Since no-one could come up with a way to detect one, they began looking instead for the Higg's Boson, which, like the Graviton, is still hypothetical.

The Higgs Boson is thought to quantify the property of matter known as mass. Since the source of mass would be found with the Higgs, the source for gravity should be close behind.

I recently read an article speculating that the Higgs could be the source for certain anomolies such as quantum entanglement and what-not. I assume that is where you are coming from.

So, yes, we would need a (theoretical) quantum computer to build a (theoretical) transporter, this is related to quantum entanglement, though, not the Higgs Boson.

Unless, that is, you're talking about some way to manipulate the mass of particles, enabling (theoretical) light-speed travel, which would play a factor.

All of this is pure conjecture, though, since the Higgs hasn't been found, and we don't even know what it is, none of your questions can be answered without lieing to you. :D

D

darkmatter4brains

Sounds like Star Trek technology. Just turn on the Higgs Compensator/Negator and the space ship and everything on it becomes massles and can fly around at c like a photon. But, too bad Warp Drive technology would still be faster!! :lol:

A

azure_infinity

Sir...if I was sitting in a lounge chair on the recreation deck and my beer suddenly became massless, I'd be very upset..

F

Fallingstar1971

hmmmmmmmmmm

OK lets spin this on its head.

How do we build a complex structor out of massless particles. Could we inject the higgs into a chamber of light and give the photons mass? I wonder what would happen then?

Star

M

MeteorWayne

This thread seems destined for Sci Fi or The Unexplained.

F

Fallingstar1971

Do whatever....l still think the idea of giving a photon mass as pretty wild, and possible if the higgs is isolated.

Imagine that. Giving a photon mass and robbing it of its lightspeed properties. Perhaps even slowing it down enough to be directly observed. Wouldnt that be something

Star

M

MeteorWayne

Your questions and statements are so unrelated to current physics, it's very hard to make any useful sense out of them.

F

Fallingstar1971

Then lets keep it real. Regardless of our opinions on the Universe, lets put aside our differences and really examine this for a second.

The point of CERN is to isolate the Higgs (God Particle) If I understand correctly this is what gives things mass.

Now forget about the transporter thing, the higgs would not be acceptable for that but I will take that topic up with you in SciFi or wherever. I still think that there may be a form of compression, but Ill explain that there.

Now, back to the Higgs.

If they can isolate the higgs, then perhaps they can use it to give a photon mass. A massless light particle/wave that suddenly has mass. That would rob it of its lightspeed properties because it can only go that fast because it has no mass.

By giving a photon mass, it must now slow to below lightspeed. If we can give it enough mass, we can slow it down enough to examine individual photons in real time. Thats what I was trying to say.

Also, I was trying to stimulate the imagination into thinking about what would happen if light suddenly had mass, and get some feedback on that.

Again, transporter with the higgs.......no. However, giving mass to light with the higgs....YES!

Star

O

origin

Fallingstar1971":3oghbn4m said:
Then lets keep it real. Regardless of our opinions on the Universe, lets put aside our differences and really examine this for a second.

The point of CERN is to isolate the Higgs (God Particle) If I understand correctly this is what gives things mass.

Now forget about the transporter thing, the higgs would not be acceptable for that but I will take that topic up with you in SciFi or wherever. I still think that there may be a form of compression, but Ill explain that there.

Now, back to the Higgs.

If they can isolate the higgs, then perhaps they can use it to give a photon mass. A massless light particle/wave that suddenly has mass. That would rob it of its lightspeed properties because it can only go that fast because it has no mass.

By giving a photon mass, it must now slow to below lightspeed. If we can give it enough mass, we can slow it down enough to examine individual photons in real time. Thats what I was trying to say.

Also, I was trying to stimulate the imagination into thinking about what would happen if light suddenly had mass, and get some feedback on that.

Again, transporter with the higgs.......no. However, giving mass to light with the higgs....YES!

Star

You are missing the point. Assuming the higgs boson does exist it is the force carrier particle that is responsible for mass. So it by definition does not interact with massless particles. You cannot make a boson interact with a particle that it normally won't interact with. We have discovered the W and Z bosons which are responsible for the weak force; we cannot now somehow force them to interact with photons.

It just don't work that way...

M

MeteorWayne

Just an aside (kinda busy tonight) the purpose of the LHC is not to discover the Higgs, despite all the hype. The purpose is to examine the highest energy physics we've ever been able to study in detail. If there is a Higgs, it may find it, but that is but one potential result. In the end, it's far more likely something we didn't expect will be the most amazing result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts