Question transverse time inertia dampeners

Jun 1, 2022
Visit site
i have been playing with an ideal using a diamagnetic field to hinder the affects of acceleration on my spaceship? what do you think of my inertail dampeners. i didnt want to get all into the math. but from an engineering standpoint. im thinking of integrating one into my ship to protect the passengers. would you fly in it?

Last edited:
Diamagnetism is when a magnetic field induces an opposite (and repulsive) field in an object. It can cause two objects to push against each other. I don't see how it could relieve one of the g-forces associated with an acellerating spaceship.

Apr 5, 2021
Visit site
I would read it all. But you may want to do a global search for “inertial dumpeners” or you could ask Helio to write you a program for searching specific science topic with in this compendium of a cosmic proportions.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022
Visit site
Jun 1, 2022
Visit site
Diamagnetism is when a magnetic field induces an opposite (and repulsive) field in an object. It can cause two objects to push against each other. I don't see how it could relieve one of the g-forces associated with an acellerating spaceship.
it is also used to create micro gravity. if you look it up on google you will see

Jun 1, 2022
Visit site

I have reviewed the sources you provided and I can understand how diamagnetism might be used to eliminate the g-forces one feels during acceleration in a space ship.

Normally, the back of the seat presses against the person's skin which transmits the force to the flesh which compresses the next layer down and on and on. The compressive forces are what does the damage.

Some help can be obtained by putting the human in a pressure suit, which will counter some of the forces squashing the body.

Additional help might be obtained by slowly rotating the human so the forces are more evenly distributed around the body.

An even better approach would be to immerse the human in water, the forces would be more evenly distributed than before. To get truly force free one would have to fill the lungs and any air spaces in the ears and sinuses with fluids as well.

Another way of accomplishing "weightless" acelleration would be to put a very large mass in front of the spaceship and move it away at ever increasing speed. The traveller would be falling into a gravitational well and would feel nothing. This is impractical as an Earth size mass would be required.

Perhaps a better approach would be to use the repulsive force of diamagnetism. Acellerate the space ship at one "g" and then put a very, very strong magnet about 12 Teslas behind the seat. The diamagnetic water in the human would be repelled by the magnetic field and the human would be acellerated at 1 g but would feel nothing. Every atom of water would be pushed individually by the magnet and no g-forces would be felt by the human. The human would not be pushed back into the seat. By making the magnet stronger and stronger there would be no limit to how much acelleration the human could undergo without feeling squashed. Other factors would cause a problem though. Some of the vital chemical reactions in the body would probably be interrupted.

So, yes, diamagnetism could provide for "inertial dampening". Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022
Visit site
I have reviewed the sources you provided and I can understand how diamagnetism might be used to eliminate the g-forces one feels during acceleration in a space ship.

Normally, the back of the seat presses against the person's skin which transmits the force to the flesh which compresses the next layer down and on and on. The compressive forces are what does the damage.

Some help can be obtained by putting the human in a pressure suit, which will counter some of the forces squashing the body.

Additional help might be obtained by slowly rotating the human so the forces are more evenly distributed around the body.

An even better approach would be to immerse the human in water, the forces would be more evenly distributed than before. To get truly force free one would have to fill the lungs and any air spaces in the ears and sinuses with fluids as well.

Another way of accomplishing "weightless" acelleration would be to put a very large mass in front of the spaceship and move it away at ever increasing speed. The traveller would be falling into a gravitational well and would feel nothing. This is impractical as an Earth size mass would be required.

Perhaps a better approach would be to use the repulsive force of diamagnetism. Acellerate the space ship at one "g" and then put a very, very strong magnet about 12 Teslas behind the seat. The diamagnetic water in the human would be repelled by the magnetic field and the human would be acellerated at 1 g but would feel nothing. Every atom of water would be pushed individually by the magnet and no g-forces would be felt by the human. The human would not be pushed back into the seat. By making the magnet stronger and stronger there would be no limit to how much acelleration the human could undergo without feeling squashed. Other factors would cause a problem though. Some of the vital chemical reactions in the body would probably be interrupted.

So, yes, diamagnetism could provide for "inertial dampening". Thank you for bringing this to my attention!
Thank you very much.

i was thinking putting people in pods and getting their in a day do you thing it would be possible to have enough power to move around during a trip? to engulf the entire deck for usability during a trip? and vital work area and primary equipment in case of emergency? kind of wanted to make a space Cruise ship around the world and the moon and back i wanted to know about spacing out the field if it mattered could i do just a large field and booster it as my acelleration increased so i can maintain an ambiance?

Let's say 8 hours to the Moon, 8 hours there, 8 hours return trip. Mass of crew capsule is 10 tons. Distance is 4e5 km. Accelerate to half way point, decelerate rest of the way. To go 2e8 meters in 4 hours (14,400 seconds) you must accelerate at a= 1.929 m/s2 or .197"g" force. Midpoint velocity = 27,780 m/s. Energy = 7.8e12 joules times 4 since you must stop at the Moon then start again then stop back at Earth. Oops....there is the problem. This is equivalent to 3e13 joules which is equal to 1500 tons of propellant which is 150 times our allocated mass of ten tons. You will need a fusion reactor on this one.

Jun 1, 2022
Visit site
I plan to make a true space ship and raise it with a levitating maglev. the fuel need should be tremendously lower. i also do not plan to stop at the moon it just site seeing for now. but do you think its mathematically posible to have people up and about with strong enough field? I am going to build it out on my cad. but have not finished the design of my ship and this is part of it.

I plan to make a true space ship and raise it with a levitating maglev. the fuel need should be tremendously lower. i also do not plan to stop at the moon it just site seeing for now. but do you think its mathematically posible to have people up and about with strong enough field? I am going to build it out on my cad. but have not finished the design of my ship and this is part of it.
Inertia damping is not required for day trips to the Moon, acceleration is only 0.2 g. The problem is energy needed. Chemical propulsion cannot do it. You will need clean fusion. Fission would work except for massive shielding requirement. Must be clean fusion, without neutron emission. Unfortunately is a very difficult type of fusion to harness.

Jun 1, 2022
Visit site
thinking of the nuclear engine wouldn't i need a cold fusion device to keep it cool do you think the coldness of space can keep it at temperature? thinking to lower exposure and save space. not wanting to do to much high end maintenance. thought about making Enterprise with 2 super large nuclear engines. To cruise around the world trek style.

I like the research for plants and animals. The B0 field is 14T. An average MRI is 2.5-3T. This is too high for me, Occasional 1.5T at most. It is the safest modality but some are reporting metallic taste at 3T, and 7T is around the safety limit guessed at (1980s USA technology). That is just brain and assumed CNS. You might go into double digits if it was just big muscles and extremities exposed, we'd need nerve modelling better to know health affects.
Metamaterials can shape magnetic fields. I see a main human use as buoyancy and exercise. You could walk on discs like Magneto on any fitted ship surface like on the inside of the Star Skimmer. An aerogel might be animated. I am considering Hfx. Toronto and NY State for metamaterial research. It is easier to take a smaller magnet and shape away the linear Gravity drop off than a massive one (body needs to be at a static G for day-to-day use). My best exercise has free falling down the ship at 0.3c and exercising to the top tip. This one is better than frequent stops if we get good at making fields. An MRI would wreck the ISS now.
To simulate a free fall into Jupiter disaster, this might do nicely for the lucky spaceman.

thinking of the nuclear engine wouldn't i need a cold fusion device to keep it cool do you think the coldness of space can keep it at temperature?

The whole point of fusion is to create high temperatures. The heat would then be used to bring a working gas to a high temperature and then expel it out a nozzle.

Cold fusion never went anywhere. Fusors can't reach breakeven. Large devices have reached breakeven but only for about ten seconds. A "rocket sized" fusion device is a long ways off.

Latest posts