Tricky question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pioneer0333

Since a blackhole can actually suck in light. Why not come the conclusion that "light" actually has some kind of mass and weight? And this would also make me think that light can be compressed and concentrated to a certain size and weight.<br /> But if light itself can be compressed and concentrated, what would happen if it is compressed to the point of implosion?<br /> Would this pressure result in just a strong explosion releasing all the light as free energy? Or could it result in the creation of the mystery element called "dark matter"? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

alokmohan

Black hole is not black.Light canot reach us overcomig intense gravity.

M

mpai

In a broad sense, the escape velocity of the black hole exceeds the speed of light, hence light cannot escape.<br /><br />This above is debatable, but I put it here this way for our friend to understand.<br /><br />Peace

N

nexium

Light is photons of electromagnetic radiation. On another tread, we were informed (perhaps wrongly) that an intense band of trapped light orbits a black hole near the event horizon which tears up matter. This might be compressed light, but implosion seems unlikely. As far as I know, energy is photins, kinetic energy, static energy, chemical energy or moving electrons, but no free energy. Neil

N

newtonian

Pioneer0333 - If light has mass, it would be light mass.<br /><br />Very light!<br /><br />Perhaps that is why we equate lack of weight to being light!<br /><br />[Just kidding, btw.]<br /><br />Seriously, I am not sure if mass is converted into dark energy in a black hole - or if dark energy involves gravity at all.

A

abhinavkumar_iitr05

In the simple language we can think that Black Hole actually suck the light.But if we consider the General Theory of Relativity then it is not the gravitational effect of the BH but actually the infinite curvature of space & time which doesn't allow the light to escape.Actually light keep on moving but the flow of time is almost zero in the BH.Thus light takes infinite time in the frame of the outside observer to come out of the BH.So if we consider this concept then there is no need to assume the light's mass.<br /><br />But from different experiment the particle nature of light has been proved.Now let me explain ur curiosity from this concept.Actually the light is made up of wave packets called photons which have certain momentum & thus the mass.But this is actually the dynamic mass & the rest mass of the photons has been considered to be zero.Thus while compressing the light the speed goes down thus the mass & so no such thing will happen.<br /><br />Your thinking was very Good.Keep it up.Any further comment about my post is highly welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts