Unconventional space physics question: propulsion speed limit-

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

Re: Unconventional space physics question: propulsion speed limi

I split this thread from where it ran out of Physics, off the rails, over the river and through the woods.

O

origin

Re: Basic space physics question: propulsion speed limit

dryson":yqmcuf5w said:
Newtonian physics give reasonably accurate results as long as you think of the space craft as the frame of reference. The problem arises if you think with respect to the starting point or the destination or a star about 13.7 billion light years away which is receding at 0.999c To reach 0.9991 c (with respect to that star) takes extreme amounts of fuel even if you are at zero speed with respect to Earth's poles.
The other problem is, if you need one ton of fuel to increase your speed by one kilometer per second, you need 100,000 tons of fuel to reach 1/3 the speed of light. Since you have to carry the fuel from the beginning, the fuel better be antimatter, or the one ton was not realistic. Neil

I hope I can explain this correctly.

Basically, everything after this statement was completely wrong.

C

csmyth3025

dryson":1jxkjy3x said:
I do not follow the idea that gravity is present everywhere in the Universe. I believe that gravity is generated or created by the various energetic properties of atoms combined into a larger object such as an asteroid, planet or sun...

...So in order for the light photon to escape the pull of a blackhole the light photon would need to travel faster than the ability of the blackhole's gravitational wavelengths would be able to occupy it's interior mass.Which means that the gravity of a blackhole functions at a velocity faster than the speed of light and would also mean that there would [be] a force in the Universe that would be able to travel faster than the speed of the gravity of a blackhole otherwise the entire Universe would be pulling in on the center of the Universe where the largest blackhole is thought to exist instead of expanding outwards...

In the first instance, if what you believe is based on your faith that it is correct, then it falls within the province of religion. If what you believe is based on a logically consistent theory that makes testable predictions about what we will observe in our universe - and the observations we've made are consistent with those predictions - then it falls within the province of science, which is the general subject of this forum.

What you believe is neither logically consistent, nor does it fit with the observations we've made.

In the second instance, I don't think there's a recognized cosmologist on Earth who claims that there's a "center of the Universe where the largest black hole is thought to exist...".

Chris

M

MeteorWayne

Wooooooooooooo :roll: Wooooooooooooooooo :roll:

A

a_lost_packet_

dryson":3v76ur6n said:
...Another way to look at what I am trying to explain is by thinking of gravity as an egg. Inside if the egg shell you have cells that grow larger and larger until the cells form a chick. The chick then has to use a certain amount of force to break through the shells barrier. Once broken through the chick is now able to fly at a faster rate of velocity than it could when it was still inside of the egg.

Hold on a sec, there.

Don't go counting your chickens before they hatch..

M

MeteorWayne

The egg is cracked...

humpty dumpty :)

Y

Yuri_Armstrong

Where do you expect to get the huge amounts of energy required for huge fractions of the speed of light? Even matter-antimatter has its limits.

M

MeteorWayne

Trust me, dryson will just create it out of thin air like the rest of his "fizziks" :)

Y

Yuri_Armstrong

dryson":3iof6x37 said:
I do not follow the idea that gravity is present everywhere in the Universe. I believe that gravity is generated or created by the various energetic properties of atoms combined into a larger object such as an asteroid, planet or sun.

I am confused here... I thought gravity was generated by anything that had mass? Are you saying that planets asteroids and suns all create gravity? You are correct there but why would that make you think one of the laws of physics applies some places in the universe but not elsewhere? Or are you discussing multiverse theory? Please explain this more, it is very confusing :?:

M

MeteorWayne

Like I said, dryson just makes up his own physics, with no logic or experimental support.

Y

Yuri_Armstrong

MeteorWayne":3q2zturr said:
Like I said, dryson just makes up his own physics, with no logic or experimental support.

"I do not follow the idea that gravity is present everywhere in the universe...", what a thing to say on a science board :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.