US-India Space Solar Power

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stevekk

Skyskimmer":39gfh6pm said:
stevekk":39gfh6pm said:
There are 4 times as many people in India as there are in the US. There is no need for the US to share our technology with them. They have enough engineers and have already imported enough of our intellectual property. Why do we need to set them up to compete against us ?

Think about it. NASA is spending millions of dollars to develop commerical space business here in the USA. Obama wants to undercut that effort by helping their competition. SpaceX, Orbital, ULA, et al already have enough competition from the Chinese and Russians. If you are going to support the Indians, then stop supporting commerical space companies.
HUH :eek:

So you want to ignore india's main competitive advantage which is efficiency? IF hey could do what we can do for 1/10th the budget we will be sunk in the future.

No, their main advantage is a workforce that costs a small fraction of the US labor cost. US companies are outsourcing there because they can get 10 Indian workers for the same costs as 1 American. When it takes 3 Indian engineers to the same job as 1 American, that's not efficient, but it does still cost less.

I've already seen outsourcing ruin my industry. I don't want to see my tax dollars contribute to more US job losses.

V

vulture4

Both Indians and Chinese are tough businesspeople. They study hard and work hard. Hopefully we can persuade them to insist on better pay. Because of free trade, we cannot make more than they do for similar work. In fact the benefits of free trade in the US fall entirely to business owners who can outsource, not US workers. US businesses had record profits this quarter (Wall Street Journal, 11/24, pg A5) despite (because of?) high unemployment. Major US manufacturers see China and India not just as sources but as markets. There is "trickle down" from the Bush tax cuts, but it winds up in other countries, not helping the US middle class. Increased NASA funding could be focused on development in the US, but because of the tax cut frenzy the NASA budget is likely to be cut and then spent largely on Orion and a Constellation-era HLV, which re not competitive on the commercial market.

S

Skyskimmer

stevekk":3nve3nwz said:
No, their main advantage is a workforce that costs a small fraction of the US labor cost. US companies are outsourcing there because they can get 10 Indian workers for the same costs as 1 American. When it takes 3 Indian engineers to the same job as 1 American, that's not efficient, but it does still cost less.

I've already seen outsourcing ruin my industry. I don't want to see my tax dollars contribute to more US job losses.

You gotta add that there not caring around a bunch of baggage that nasa trails around with it. They do stuff for cheap or were over paid it's not a one way street, we've taken the advanatages of cheap oil, cheap food, and cheap manufacturing for decades, there getting there share now you can't blame em for that.

I'd love to see them compete with american companies, if you can't be competitive pricewise don't play ball. You can't have exclusive rights to something just because you think you should. They got a lot of potential and my bet is there part of something that's far bigger than apollo.

Ironically if things gets cheaper it'll be mostly american's settling space as there the ones with the money to get there.

M

MeteorWayne

JETSETTER":19wrmuuz said:
WHO TOLD INDIA CAN'T PUT INTO ORBIT? WE HAVE ONE OF THE BEST LAUNCHING SYSTEM IN THE WORLD.

WHO SAID THEY COULDN'T???

M

MeteorWayne

Skyskimmer":11kkkmge said:
[You read my mind, not to mention bangalore is a better place to launch from than the cape, no burden of complicated politics(india is friends with all), .)

ROFL, Pakistan might disagree :lol:

S

Skyskimmer

MeteorWayne":318w8jxn said:
Skyskimmer":318w8jxn said:
[You read my mind, not to mention bangalore is a better place to launch from than the cape, no burden of complicated politics(india is friends with all), .)

ROFL, Pakistan might disagree :lol:
Bangalore is a long way south of the border. There influence on india is waining especially in the tamil south. I think american's are always too focues on their muslim neighbhours, Afghan/Pakistan, when in reality Burma(bhuddist) are a far larger concern.

B

Booban

What free trade? The only open market is the US market. Everyone else protects and foster their industries and have an entirely nationalistic mercantile approach. Global American companies, the ones who pay your congressmen, push this agenda because they make money by importing back into the US. People who travel a lot, how often do you see an American car on the road or whirlpool washing machine? American citizens are just stupid consumers for everyone.

On the other hand, America leads on innovation. Being studious or having cheaper pay will not give you innovation. American just needs proper direction for innovation. NASA is currently aimless and nobody has a plan. Or rather there are too many plans which keep changing but all basically plans for wasteful stuff like spending tens of billions for huge rockets to go and bring some space pebbles back home.

S

Skyskimmer

Booban":2qx5ebo2 said:
What free trade? The only open market is the US market. Everyone else protects and foster their industries and have an entirely nationalistic mercantile approach. Global American companies, the ones who pay your congressmen, push this agenda because they make money by importing back into the US. People who travel a lot, how often do you see an American car on the road or whirlpool washing machine? American citizens are just stupid consumers for everyone.

On the other hand, America leads on innovation. Being studious or having cheaper pay will not give you innovation. American just needs proper direction for innovation. NASA is currently aimless and nobody has a plan. Or rather there are too many plans which keep changing but all basically plans for wasteful stuff like spending tens of billions for huge rockets to go and bring some space pebbles back home.
Lol are you aware of the corn subsidies that are technically illegal under free trade are causing poor countries to fall into the worst kind of poverty, whatever I ain't getting started on this stuff here completely off topic and the wrong forum. :x

B

Booban

Yes, and do you realize that everybody, except the poorest, subsidize their farming industry too? And among them, American farm subsidies are far lower. Also, these poorest countries are African. They import Chinese workers to farm their land. These countries are poverty stricken because they have idiots for leaders, not because of american subsidies.

S

Skyskimmer

It's entirely country dependent(there's over 200) don't group em together please I could go on and on about this but it's well off topic.
Regardless, does anyone have any idea about pricing for such a system?

V

vulture4

NASA's original mission (back in 1915) was to support the commercial aviation industry, as an instrument of American industrial policy. That's what we need now. Industry should not support NASA on commercially nonviable stunts; NASA should be supporting industry with funding for technology development and demonstration prototypes. NASA should not be issuing RFPs, it should be asking for ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts