US stations Aegis BMD (anti-missile) ships in Gulf

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

No doubt a message for Iran..

Danger Room article....

Petraeus: Missile-Shooting Ships on Station in the Gulf

The U.S. military is keeping at least two Navy ships on station in the Persian Gulf, ready to track and possibly intercept missiles, according to the top U.S. general in the region.

Speaking today at the Institute for the Study of War, Gen. David Petraeus, the head of U.S. Central Command, said two cruisers equipped with the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System “are in the Gulf at all times now.”

That statement — along with the stationing of other U.S. air defense assets in the region — sends a strong signal to Iran, which has been investing in both ballistic missile technology and a highly suspect nuclear program. Iran’s military ambitions — and its drive to master nuclear enrichment — has unsettled its neighbors, and sparked concerns about a regional arms buildup.

It’s not the first time the U.S. military has deployed Aegis BMD ships to response to missile threats. Last year, the Navy sent two Aegis destroyers in anticipation of a North Korean missile launch. In addition to the Navy ships, Petraeus said the U.S. military now had eight Patriot missile batteries in the region. “[There are] two in each of four countries, U.S. Patriot batteries that weren’t there two years ago,” he said.

In response to a question about creating a formal security alliance in the Gulf region, Petraeus said: “The best recruiting officer in recent times for the CENTCOM security architecture … in our region has been Iranian President Ahmadinejad: His rhetoric, his actions, the continued missile program development, the nuclear program, the employment of proxy elements still in Iraq, who are still active.”

But he dismissed the possibility of a NATO-style alliance in the region, at least for now. “I don’t think the concept of a NATO-like organization is all that realistic in the near term,” he said.

J

jimglenn

Re: US stations Targets in Ocean

Excuse me, but the Mohammed plane is ready (Allah bless him) for battle. AirSoft guns are locked and loaded.

They will stop our oil flow, and America will finally fail. :ugeek:

Notice the jet motor running a prop on the tail. There is a red exhaust blob to the right. What are they thinking? :x

Ababil_01.jpg

A

a_lost_packet_

jimglenn said:
Excuse me, but the Mohammed plane is ready (Allah bless him) for battle. AirSoft guns are locked and loaded.

They will stop our oil flow, and America will finally fail. :ugeek:

Notice the jet motor running a prop on the tail. There is a red exhaust blob to the right. What are they thinking? :x../quote]

WTF? Is it made out of styrofoam? Looks like it..

M

Mee_n_Mac

jimglenn":1tqvsyit said:
Notice the jet motor running a prop on the tail. There is a red exhaust blob to the right. What are they thinking? :x

The a Babil is a pusher prop UAV. I'll guess the "jet" is some form of Iranian JATO.

J

jimglenn

Here is another shot. The rockets used for boost may be separate. That sure looks like a jet engine on the back.

Not sure. They are up to no good. WARM UP THE BOMBERS. :twisted:

ababil-03.jpg

B

bearack

No need to warm up the bombers, just take the leash off of Israel.

Whoa, that would set the middle east ablaze now wouldn't it!

D

docm

Next generation "Predator", the Skunk Works MQX entry: larger, stealth, internal weapons stores and a much higher payload.....

MQX-skunkworksdronefwide.jpg

B

bearack

docm":lhia4936 said:
Next generation "Predator", the Skunk Works MQX entry: larger, stealth, internal weapons stores and a much higher payload.....

MQX-skunkworksdronefwide.jpg

I think I also read that this new unit will have a 70% (from memory) greater air time versus the current predators.

J

jimglenn

bear, it is all coming down soon. We need a new hot war to boost the economy, and jobs, like in WW2.

nice plane, docm. Looks like they ripped the wing rite off a 707 or something. I like the orig Predator,